how much forgiveness is there in minimum blank siz

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Armacielli

the kits that I wanna put these blanks on require a minimum 3/4"x5" blank, but the blanks I wanna use are 1/16" short of 3/4". Is there enough forgiveness in these minimum blank sizes to get by with 11/16"x 5"? I should know this, but these are some good PH and BRW blanks and I don't wanna take any chances.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kirkfranks

Hold the end of the blank up to the fat end of the bushing needed for the kit in question. Use the largest bushing from the kit if they have different sizes.
If the blank is bigger than the bushing it may be possible. You need to figure in how well you can center the hole in the blank with your drilling setup. You also need to consider if you plan to turn the pen bushing to bushing or with some bulge.

1080Wayne

As Kirk said . However , if you have casting capability coupled with the ability to drill very accurately , you should be able to make a pen from any blank that is 1/16 - 1/8 inch greater in dia than the largest tube in the kit . Wayne

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am making a couple of Imperials that "suggest" 7/8" blanks. However, the lady that I am making it for - saw a specific Amboyna blank that was a smidgen less than 3/4. I told her I would attempt it. I drilled the hole on the lathe and it worked fine. I want to emphasize that I did not just put the blank in the chuck and start drilling. I double checked for square and triple and quadruple checked that the bit was going in precisely centered.

If you take precautions to be precise, I think an 11/16 blank will work on a pen that recommends 3/4. One thing to watch for is the fact that a thinner blank will be more prone to blow out. The more gnarly it is (burl) the more chances for blow out. Also, some woods are more prone to blow out than others. I have had much less blow outs by drilling on the lathe than with a DP. I still use my DP often but when I want "precision" because the "forgiveness" area is lessened, I go with lathe drilling.

"Forgiveness" is variable, and the variable is the degree of precision that one can achieve from end to end.

Top Bottom