How much to charge for a repair???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I'm in the process of repairing/replacing a 300 mag cartridge pen I sold a while back. When the customer called me, she stated that her husband is not very gentle with his pens and it had a few dents in the cartridge and he broke the Rifle clip that was on it. I'm reusing the antler that is the top of the pen. I thinking about charging $20 since I will be replacing the casing and powder coating it, the complete workings of the lower part and a new Rifle clip. Any thoughts for any one? Is this too much or nor enough? IIRC she paid $50 for the pen when she bought it. Oh, she has also asked for a matching pencil so I'm working on that too. Will charge $50 for the pencil.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Did she request a new casing? If she didn't request it, I don't think I would replace it since a new one is likely to get beat up also. It sounds like you basically replacing everything except the antler top so I don't think you're charging enough.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Did she request a new casing? If she didn't request it, I don't think I would replace it since a new one is likely to get beat up also. It sounds like you basically replacing everything except the antler top so I don't think you're charging enough.

She specifically requested a new casing.

bgray

Ya know...honestly, I think that I would do it for free.

I would just say something along the lines of "In the interest of return business, this time I'll just take care of this for free. Do me a favor, however...please keep me in mind when you are looking for graduation or Xmas gifts."

I would say this in a way that she really feels that you are kind of doing her a big favor, but also that it's a one time thing.

My humble opinion is that this could pay off larger than $20 in the future. Maybe you could get her email address and send a friendly reminder around gift-giving season.

les-smith

You could charge more for the pencil to cover your costs of the repair. Then you could repair the pen for free and still cover your exspenses. If you have a considerable mark up on the pencil than I would probably do it for free. I like to at least cover my exspenses. But, I agree that her repeat business may very well produce way more business than $20.00.

kghinsr

I decided that in my craft business repairs will be done for free. an example is a gentleman had purchased a flashlight from me which he was having trouble with. I took the old one for parts and gave him a new one. By the time he had left the table he had done another $80 dollars worth of sales. as stated earlier it paid off and you also had another order. Of course there is no shame in covering the part costs.
ken

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Monty,

I think there is a problem. IF you charge half ($20) for the repair, it makes it appear that the antler accounted for $30 of the initial cost. That's not accurate[:)]

IF you give it to them for free, how soon before he will beat that one up, too?

If you tell her the only salvagable part added $10 (the antler), therefore you can give her the new pen for only $40?????

OR do you HOPE for future business by doing it for free???

I don't have an answer - I would evaluate the customer's jewelry to determine my "best guess solution".

I don't think you can make a WRONG decision, just "more right!!"

Good luck!

GBusardo

Originally posted by bgray43050
<br />Ya know...honestly, I think that I would do it for free.

I would just say something along the lines of "In the interest of return business, this time I'll just take care of this for free. Do me a favor, however...please keep me in mind when you are looking for graduation or Xmas gifts."

I would say this in a way that she really feels that you are kind of doing her a big favor, but also that it's a one time thing.

My humble opinion is that this could pay off larger than $20 in the future. Maybe you could get her email address and send a friendly reminder around gift-giving season.

I believe I would do the same. Once....[:)]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
This not a repair, It is a total rebuild. The charge should reflect that. I guarantee that if you do this for free, they will be back again for a repeat performance.

There is a case to be made for repaining a pen that has suffered from "normal handling" as a gesture of good will. However, it takes a lot more than "normal handling" to dent a metallic cartridge. You should not be into making pens to support someone's disregard for their own property. People like this should have to pay for their carlessness, not you. Make him pay the full price, less any parts you can salvage. If they don't like it, fine, you don't need customers like this.

ctwxlvr

my thoughts is it should be free this one and only time and make that clear to the customer.

I will repair and or replace any pen I have made(at my decression) one time. So far I have only had to replace one due to the finish getting gummy. it was an Enduro finish and not the finishes fault or mine the guy works in a "shop" that does refinishing of furniture it seems the enduro did not like the atmosphere of the shop, hate to see the health of the person in a few years.

bgray

I understand Russ's response completely, and I'll still stick with my answer above, but I'll add one more caveat that might change my answer....

What's your read on her? Is she a real super-sweet lady who will appreciate the favor and bring more business? Or does she seem like the type that might try to take advantage of you if this happens again?

So I will stick with my answer (do it free, make it clear that it's a one time thing, kind reminder that you would appreciate more business) IF you have a good read on her.

If you have a bad read, then go with Russ's response.

RonRaymond

I've only sold one pen...I'm still in the give-away mode, so maybe I shouldn't comment. But I can't help thinking that the pens we make should be treated as something at least a little bit special. Dented a 300 mag case and broke the clip off?!?! What's this guy doing with his pens, chipping ice blocks? Maybe he ought to get his pens from Wally World and bang them up as much as he wants. You shouldn't be footing the bill for his mistreatment of the product. Would you enter a brand new Cadillac in a demolition derby, and then expect the manufacturer to honor the warranty?

ahoiberg

charge half the price of the pen. but since you may have already quoted her $20, no big deal. i think that's a pretty fair price.

woodbutcher

If there is a failure in parts or a mistake on my end I replace the pen NC. If there is obvious abuse I replace the pen at 50% of selling price. With the pencil you may find your self in the same boat. I hope this helps.

Ligget

I would repair the pen for free as a good will gesture letting her know that any future repairs will be chargable.
When she gets the rebuilt pen back I would give her some cards to hand out to her friends.[:D]

Rudy Vey

I have done most of my repairs for free, since, as someone said, it is a nice gesture and will bring your customers back!! The repairs I have done are from simple transmission replacement for FT Americans to a total overhaul of a Double Celtic Knot Baron. Here the bloodwood had split, I replaced it with an IBO DCK, but I could use the complete hardware. My customer just had to pay for his shipping to me - I paid the shipping back to him. He was a repeat customer and will buy again!!

thewishman

Mannie, your decision sounds good to me. The user is admittedly hard on pens and wants to buy more. A freebie may be in order when normal usage has occurred, this is not normal usage. $20-$25 is more than reasonable.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom