How Are Mass Produced Pens Turned?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darita

Recently, my daughter brought home a pen that looks just like a European style pen that came in a kit, like the ones we might purchase. It's very well made, however I can't imagine someone standing there, making pen after pen the same way we do.
Is there a different manufacturing process used for mass production of these pens or are they made the same way we make them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Welcome to IAP Derek. Quick reply: no "mass produced" pens are NOT individually turned. Using a DUPLICATOR is one method to produce pens faster especially if you have a simple design.

I saw very well made "mass produced" pens and LASER engraved for under $10 CAD and the M.O.Q. was not very high from a promotional company.

dogcatcher

They use tools we dream of, like drilling the blank, there are multi head drill presses that can drill a dozen blanks at once. It is also an automated system, the operator watches to make sure there are not malfunctions. The lathe cutter, is like a custom planer planer blade that the blank literally goes from a square to a completed turned blank. Sanding, theirs suck, again it is automated, a pre shaped sander drops on the cut blank and gets a hit lick and promise and moves to the next one.

You can speed up your own process by using production methods. Drill out 72 set of blanks at a time, then glue the 72 at a time, then turn the 72 and etc., etc.. The time it takes to switch tooling from drilling to turning is only a minute, but at 72 times that is an hour and 11 minutes of wasted time. Gluing? How much time does it take to get out the glue, and the get set up to glue tubes in? Even 30 seconds comes up to 35 minutes of wasted labor on 72 sets.

I could expand on that, but if you try it, you will soon feel like your penturning has become manual labor. Which if you are trying to make money, it is.

Beautys_Beast

Ive done a couple of larger orders of pens, and I use an assembly line method when I do. I have to agree with Dogcatcher 100%. After turning the same pen 50 times, I am not enjoying it one bit. It's work.

I make pens, because I like making pens. I love the look on someones face when I give them a pen. I do pen orders, because it pays for the all the pens I give away.

dogcatcher

Great video William, thanks for posting..

If you do a search for "Japanese Pen Turning" on YouTube you should be able to find a couple more. I find it fascinating how the Japanese approach pen making.

In 1969 I was in Japan visiting friends from the States that were stationed there. I got to visit with a Japanese dollmaker, his skills was an inspiration. In the few hours that I spent with him, I learned about both quaility and production methods.

JPW062

Only a few safety issues there...
OTOH, it looks like he is only missing the tipof one digit, so not all that bad.

Top Bottom