How many of you started w/ general woodworking and now mostly only do pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vthowe

Just curious how many of you had started w/ general woodworking and then moved mostly all to pen turning? Primary reason for doing such?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

I more less fit the bill for what your asking. I guess the biggest reason that I primarly turn pens now is time. Most of my other wood working simply took too long and I would always end up losing interest in a project before I finished it. With pen turning I can make a pen from start to finish in a couple of hours.

reiddog1

Travis,
I moved from a 3 car garage to a single because of military transfer. Not a lot of room for larger projects. I also enjoy the quicker turn around time of pen making. Hour(s) vice week(s) to complete a project. Plus, I can carry around my projects without the use of my truck. Hope this helps.

Dave

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have been doing flat work (woodworking) since I was a kid in the '50s. When I moved to Japan in the mid '80s, I continued to do woodworking and made tables, hutches, bookcases, etc, but each project was a 2 to 4 year deal simply because of workspace and the need to spend 30 minutes to an hour to get the tools set up to work and the need to put it up at the end of the day. The preparation and clean up time each day prevented me from doing what I wanted.

I had been eyeing pen making from the mid-90s and then in 2004, I purchased a Taig lathe to take back to Japan (in my suitcase) and start making pens. Joined IAP in 2005 and learned a lot. In 2006, I purchased a Rikon and had it shipped to Japan. It was great to be able to start a project and finish it in one evening. Then I started working on segmented pens and that gave me more woodworking time - just cutting wood and working on it.

I moved back to the States in 2010 and have a larger shop and workspace. I still have not set my shop up to function since returning. I haven't even had time to unpack all of my tools that were shipped back from Japan. I still will spend equal time to woodworking and pen making, when I have time. Simply because I have more space, I will give more time to woodworking than I did the last 5 years in Japan.

Pen making will not be pushed aside and I already have standing order for some pens, when I can get the lathe table and layout set up.

Texatdurango

Well I've enjoyed working with wood since taking high school shop and have had a dedicated shop in each home we owned since 1974 and have made just about everything imaginable from wood including gun cabinets, poker tables, king size bed, night stands, dressers, chest of drawers, hutches, stereo cabinets, desks, you name it.

I always wanted a lathe so at a wood show in 2006 I bought a jet mini and there was a local turners club at the show doing demos of pen turning. I thought it would be fun to start out with something small so bought some pen supplies at the local Woodcraft and things sorta snow balled from there. Being retired, when not travelling I spend 8 to 10 hours a day in the shop so picked thigs up rather quickly and now spend 95% of my shop time making pens and haven't tired of it yet.

I enjoy turning things on my large lathe but find it more relaxing and enjoyable to create pens from scratch and having someone drop by and either select a pen and buy it or order a pen to their specifications is also rewarding... literally!

Last edited:

StephenM

I started out doing woodworking and made most of the furniture in the house - cherry end tables and TV/equipment cabinet, Mission dining room set, wainscoating for my office, etc. Everything took a while to do correctly. My mom got me a book on pen turning about 5 years ago and I read it but didn't have a lathe. After my last piece of furniture (a dining table for a customer), I decided I wanted some more immediate gratification and read the pen turning book again. Went and got a Rikon lathe on a snowy day last year and have been making pens ever since. Still do cabinet work but the pens are a means of clearing my mind at the end of the day and having something to show for it. (or making me really frustrated and sending me to bed in a bad mood - kind of like the kids)

LarryE

My last major project was a dining room table and seven chairs. The table was a breeze, but the chairs were the most boring and time consuming venture I have ever entered into - took almost a year for the entire project to be completed. Decided that I do not want to spend what is left of my "declining years" on stuff like that. Pens, bowls, etc. are so much faster, take up less space in my shop and give almost immediate gratification that they are all I do now. I'm loving it.

BSea

I guess I'm more of a B grade carpenter. I've built cabinets for the garage, and general use shelving for storage. I've designed & built some decent closet shelving for clothing with some drawers. But nothing I'd classify as fine furniture. Probably the closest I've done are some built in's in the den for TV & stereo.

I started making gun grips several years ago, and that lead me to this forum trying to find wood. I gradually got interested in pens just because I saw all the pens on display here. So I bought a lathe, and turned my 1st pen last February. I haven't done a set of gun grips since.

I like the short time from start to finish, but still, they can be as complex as I can handle.

And 1 of the main reasons I turn pens, is because I hate sanding and finishing. And nothing is easier to sand and finish than a pen.

Ambidex

how

I was mostly a flat wwer..knew I had wrist surgery on both wrists coming up and decided I HAD to have something to do or go nuts sitting around. So I looked into pen turning as I figured I could do that with one hand without too much difficulty. Now I'm just completely addicted to pens..and looking forward to June when I'll have both hands back and will try bowls next!:rolleyes:

gbpens

I have been an amateur woodworker since I was a kid. My dad had a small shop and taught me the basics. He was a great do it yourselfer. I continued in that vein for decades but my work always had that homemade look. I got into pen making out of boredom. I had the lathe for years but seldom used it. I tried turning a pen and found I could but I had to develope a durable finish. I eventually sold a few at work and then tried a craft show. For a few years I contented myself with one wood or material but got to the point where I wanted the pen to have some pattern and color to it. That's when I tried segmentation. I enjoy making up a design and trying to execute it. Some work, some do not. As for selling, I will never get over the thrill of someone buying my work or ordering a cutom piece. What higher compliment can you get?

LeeR

I bought a lot of hand power tools in college, and bought a radial arm saw when I got my first job after graduating. I've got a decent basement shop and over the years filled it with all the major power tools, but for some reason, not a lathe. Guess I looked at a lathe primarily as a tool to make spindles mostly, like table or chair legs, and that wasn't for me. A little over a year ago I saw some pens at a Woodcraft, and got the bug to buy a lathe.

I made about 15-20 pens last year for gifts, and then decided to branch out, making other "spindle" turnings like tool handles, wine stoppers, and pizza cutters. I want to try making peppermills and bowls next. I do not sell pens, so I've only turned maybe 30 since I started. However, I do find it rewarding, like many, since you can complete one so quickly.

I have made numerous platters or cutting boards from laminating a variety of different exotic woods, and I am starting to try this out for woodturning. I still love to work on large projects, but tend now to gravitate to lathe projects for two reasons -- it is still new to me, and challenging, and that it can be completed in one day, typically.

kovalcik

I do a bit of everything. My dad brought me up as a DIYer. I was a long time before I even realized that you could actually hire people to work on your house because we always did stuff ourselves. Had a Shopsmith lathe since 1986 and played around with it but never really got good results. Finally took a few classes to learn what I was doing wrong. Took up pen turning because I thought they made nice gifts. Can't say I do mostly pens though, I still do a lot a different projects depending on what I need around the house.

Last edited:

RussFromNH

I just love working with my hands. I work with wood on a small scale. Mostly model wooden boats. I saw an article on pen making and decided to give it a try. I really do not have woodworking experiance other then model scale.

I'd been working with wood for some time and always thought that I'd (eventually) try turning but hadn't ever gone any further with it than that. Several years ago LOML gave me a Rockler pen "starter kit" for Christmas. She loves pens (more than me?) and thought I could do nice ones cheaper than she could buy them (HA!). She missed the fact that I didn't have a lathe. So I bought an old, used Rockwell (which has since been sold), turned 3 pens one Saturday and have been addicted ever since.

It's funny, because I thought I'd use pens as a way to get into other turning (bowls & hollow forms for example) but they just haven't "called" me like pens. Maybe sometime later?

I can't really say that I'm doing pens exclusively, though. I still get calls from folk (mostly previous customers) who like my work and want something done. I'll usually drop what I'm doing to take that kind of work. And I (we) are about to start a major kitchen remodel soon. Won't be very much pen making going on for the next couple months.

Last edited:

Cherie

Scrolling is my first and foremost love. I have just recently learned the art of pen turning and have only done the slim lines so far. Funds are short so I only do what I can. I enjoy both projects, however all depends on what I have going on whether or not I take time to turn or scroll. Right now I have an order for an Irish themed wooden valentines day card. I am to design and cut it. But I think this weekend I am going to do some turning.

Chasper

I have never been a woodworker.

I can frame a picture or build things like work benches and dog houses, but I rarely do any flat work of any type; never did.

Since I was very young (50+ years ago) I have been a wood carver and three dimensional artist in a variety of materials including stone, glass, clay, wax, sculpy, soap, egg shells, gold, silver, and other metals along with anything else I could etch, knap, carve or sculpt.

Last edited:

Turned Around

I started out piddling in the garage on small projects. Jewelry boxes, humidors, shadow boxes, etc. Found a lathe on craigs list and thought I would give it a try. Now, it's all I really do.

Wingdoctor

I started in Shop Class in HS back in the early '60's. I made a lamp, a desk and chair and a bunch of other stuff. While the kids were growing up we didn't have money to buy stationary tools so most of my tools were DIY oriented. After the kids grew up a bit, more money was available and I bought a Uni-Saw, new, and it rapidly expanded from there. I made, and still make, a lot of flat projects, but about 4 years ago I wanted to try making some bowls so I bought a General Maxi-Lathe. They call it Maxi but it is still a table top lathe. I saw some pens at the local Woodwerks store and thought "I can do that!" I did OK with the first kits and with the smaller bowls I made but I decided I wanted a larger lathe to do bigger stuff on also. My wife and I went back to Woodwerks and looked a what was available. I was looking at a Jet but my wife was looking at the Powermatic 3520B next to it that I thought was too expensive. With her blessing we brought the 3520B home. I do my pens and just about all other turning on the Powermatic but I still use the General to do my CA finishing. That VS and a smooth, quiet motor makes the Powermatic a joy to use. I retired recently and have more time than ever to work in the shop. The aches and pains of advancing age are a limiting factor in my project selection at times. I still do other projects besides pens but the satisfaction of spending a couple of hours in the shop working on pens, and having a FINISHED project to show, is really satisfying.

dankc908

Scrolling is my first and foremost love. I have just recently learned the art of pen turning and have only done the slim lines so far. Funds are short so I only do what I can. I enjoy both projects, however all depends on what I have going on whether or not I take time to turn or scroll. Right now I have an order for an Irish themed wooden valentines day card. I am to design and cut it. But I think this weekend I am going to do some turning.

Cherie --

Welcome! I didn't realize that you, too, had come over to "the dark side"! I do enjoy scrolling, still. However, the lathe is a real joy for me!

Dan

theidlemind

I started with general woodworking and started turning pens to use up the really nice pieces of wood that were too small for anything else.

That started me down the slope.......

edavisj316

I have done flat work most of my life. I am 47. I worked out of my dad's shop for several years making boxes and small furniture. I was also into restoring old Mustangs with a friend in HS & college. I have only been able to set up a shop in my two-car garage. So space has become a real issue. I also found that most projects took longer than I wanted to invest. I also have a 1990 Miata that I maintain in that two-car garage..

I have also had a dream for many years of building my own experimental airplane. I am an ex-commercial pilot with 16,000 hours flight time. A few years ago, I had decided on an airplane to build and my wife even gave her blessing to start the project. Then at the last minute I put the idea on hold, bought a 5-speed lathe from HF and have been making pens for the past 1 1/2 yrs.

I like that I can start and finish a project in the same evening, that it does not take up a lot of space and requires very precise work. I am also tooling up to go kitless. I still hope to build an airplane some day. But this will do for now.

76winger

I mostly do pen turning "currently". I've done a lot of various woodworking in the past, for home remodling (lots of molding work), built a display case and a large aquarium stand/bookcase, some cases for transporting my music equipment when I was in a band, and just whatever I needed done. But since I've started turning, most of my time has gone towards that.

It a creative outlet that satisfies me, and I'm able to sell almost enough to pay for more materials and a new tool every now and then (a big concern the past couple years as I strive to be debt free in a couple more years). And even the comments about the finished pens adds to the rewards, along with all the new people I've been meeting. I guess I'm just trying to say it's just been a great experience for many reasons.

Mayor101

I'm a diesel mechanic by day, but have messed around with all types of woodworking since I was in high school many years ago. I've built all types of shelves and clocks that my wife usually paints with her given talents. I put a 1200 sq ft. addition on our home and only contracted the foundation.
About 2 months ago I bought a very complete ShopSmith set up, needed a wood mallet for the shop so found a piece of maple and turned it on the ShopSmith. The man I bought this set up from is a friend and he turns pens, so I called him up and had a lesson on penturning. That was about 3 weeks ago & I've made 15 pens since then. I find it very rewarding and relaxing plus it keeps me in the shop......Kent

Flat work is for squares...

I was never lucky enough to learn woodworking unless it involved residential structural repairs. No one in the family was really a carpenter or fine woodworker.

I learned to turn when I was at Bible college 6 years ago and did some small flat items too. I mostly do turned work but selling items on a budget means I need to make displays that look nice myself. I am getting to know some tools other than the lathe.

Rick P

Been a wood worker my whole life, my parents have pics of my hauling 2x4's in diapers for my father. I turn pens because they are fun and you can use materials that you cant really do to much else with. Pens are hardly the only thing I make though.

crabcreekind

I started out making stuff in woodshop class, which wwas a couple tables and a box. Then I made a jewelry box and a bowl In my dad's woodshop. I asked him if he ever did pens. He hadn't. So i wanted to make something he didnt. And i have been making them ever since. I also like making them because i am 16 and have no patience for making bigger projects. I would usually get bored sanding all the edges on cutting boards and tongs. And also anyone can use a great pen that is handmade. and you can take them anywhere in a binder and show them off.

toyotaman

I started out in a small 8x10 out building with a few very basic tools making clocks and birdhouses in the early 90's. I then moved up to a 12x24 and birdhouses was all I did. It was fun but it was hard to store my lumber and find room to work too. We then inheirited an older home and fixed it up and it had a 36x36 building with no front. This was going to be nice. I had a floor poured, and a front was added and my new shop was born. I bought me a Delta 46-460 and some Robert Sorby tools and took a pen class from a friend. I was hooked. It was not meant to be though. Only 3 short years later my shop burnt. I had a 24x30 built to replace it closer to my house. Now everything revolves around turning. The bad thing now is I have logs and big chunks of wood all over my shop.
Donny

Glen Schumann

I had been a DIY homeowner for decades which reached an apex with completing the finishing of our basement (family room, craft room for DW, bathroom, hallway). I then used the unfinished space at one end for a woodworking shop. The first project there was a cherry cradle using the New Yankee plan (two more of those since, 4th later this year). I am still doing flatwork (current project is the third high chair (see the theme?)). I took up pen turning in the fall of 2010 and hope to earn a supplememntal retirement income with pens and other small items (some turned, some flat).

geovtx

I started over 30 years ago with a Craftsman radial arm saw doing shelves and bookcases etc. As my 2 sons got older, the Christmas presents get better, and about 4 years ago they got me a Jet 1442. I still do the all the flat work and such but my favorites are the pens and intarsia.

Top Bottom