How many sets of Micro Mesh?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Since micro mesh is used over and over again I'm wondering if people have more than one set to use for different things. I ask because even though I hit it against my palm and wash it once in a while it never really seems to come comepletely clean. It always seems to have CA dust in it and I was wondering if this will scratch the wood the next next time I use it. So, do you have one set to use on wood and another to use on your CA finish? Or maybe more than 2 sets? If you do, is it the same style MM (sheets vs pads)?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I clean mine with a fingernail brush, Not perfect, but it gets out most of
the junk. Just pop them in the sink with some dish detergent once a week or
so.. depending on how much I use them. I also don't let them dry out, so it
is easier to get the stuff out if it hasn't dried hard already. I keep them in a
bucket of water close to the lathe. (sheets .. 3x4? )

And yes, I have a set for wood and another for plastics, one more for metals.

I only use the little 2x2 pads from PSI, I think they're also MM, but only use them for plastics and to wet sand the CA finish on wood pens... I wet them in a cool whip tub and wash - rinse them after every use. Occasionally I'll use them to wet sand antler, but not every time I do an antler pen... depends on the antler..

M

monkeynutz

I use 3 sets of MM sheets (mostly because I have 3 sets), so I keep one set for light woods, another for dark woods and the third for acrylics. To clean them, I just throw them in a fabric bag, and run them through the washer. Makes 'em good as new, and I have never worn out a set.

Sfolivier

I melted a few pads when I started to turn pens :)

I bought a large set and cut it in 3 small ones so I guess I have 3 sets now. I only use two tho, one for wood and the other one for finishes. It might just be psychological. I usually only rinse them under running water and haven't really noticed any change in the past 6 months or so.

nava1uni

I have one set that I use primarly for plastic and CA finished pens. I wash them weekly and let them dry on a paper towel. They don't appear to have any residue and work very well. I usually wet sand with them and don't often use them dry because I melted one the only time I used it dry. When I want to sand wood really fine I use sanding sheets up to 6 micron and get a really smooth finish that requires very little work in the finishing department.

ldb2000

I was using one set for everything , but I just discovered that my local hobby shop has the 2x2 sets for $9 , so I now have 3 new sets . One for wood , one for plastics and one for metals .

JimB

I was using one set for everything , but I just discovered that my local hobby shop has the 2x2 sets for $9 , so I now have 3 new sets . One for wood , one for plastics and one for metals .

Butch - what hobbie shop sells them for $9? The only place I've ever even seen them locally is Woodcraft and Rockler.

I think I'll be getting a second set rather than using 1 set for everything. Thanks for the answers everyone.

hughbie

when i got mine a year and a half ago, i got the large sheets (4x8 i think) and cut them into 2 inch strips....

i don't use them on straight wood.....i use regular sandpaper through 400 and then seal with CA and the start with 320 and then 400 AND then go to MM....also, i only use my MM wet.....

just my 2 cents

ldb2000

Butch - what hobbie shop sells them for $9? The only place I've ever even seen them locally is Woodcraft and Rockler.

I think I'll be getting a second set rather than using 1 set for everything. Thanks for the answers everyone.

It's just a little local hobby store (Mom and Pop kind of place) . He carries allot of goodies for penmaking , I get some of my metals (it's great when I only need one or two pieces of brass or aluminum and don't have enough of an order to get from my online supplier) , CA , dremel bits and he may have carried the MM pads for a while but I just noticed them on the rack .

SherryD

I have several sets because I have more than one lathe and have friends over to turn so each area has its own MM. I use the air hose to clean between grit changes and this seems to work for me. I have been using MM for several years. Have not burned any when sanding for quite some time maybe it's because I am not as aggressive sanding or have listened to other turners that have helped me over the last few years.

Paul Downes

I have a plastic organizer box with 1" strips in each compartment. I typically have 4-5 sets. 1 is reserved for maple and other light woods. 1 for dark woods, 1 for oily woods, and 1 or 2 for acrylic/polyester wet and dry sanding.

Steve Busey

I use a "big eraser" to clean out the pores on my MM - a couple of passes and I'm back in business. Google on "sanding belt cleaner"

beltcleaner.jpg

Top Bottom