How many pens from 1lb of antler?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

spitfire

I want to try some antler pens, I was going to order from woodturningz.com but was curious how many pens I would/should be able to get from that 1lb.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I do not know if this will help you. A friend give me a 2pt rack. They were small. Coastal white tail deer. I have made three pens so far from the rack. I have one more set but there is a curve in the antler that I still figuring out if I can make a fourth set. I never weight the rack at the beginning.

Bill Daniels

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
I can generally get 3 pens from a pound although it does vary with the horn.
I tried to find the article about boiling antler but got timed out by our wonderful search tool.:D But, everything I've read about boiling antler for pens and for knife handles says about 20 minutes for boiling before it is placed in a vise.

edit: Finally found the thread:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27804&SearchTerms=antler

This should allow you to increase the number of pens per pound.

Augem's Pen Works sells pre-cut antler both undrilled and pre-drilled. It is more expensive than by the pound I'm sure but it is a good way to start. I'm cutting and drilling my own now as I have found a pretty good source for antler. As Roy said it will depend on how straight the rack is. I've had fair luck with the boiling, some straightens ok and some doesn't and I've not really figured out why, but it does work most of the time. I boil mine about 30 minutes before I put it in the vise or a clamp, will usually let it set for an hour or so before I release the pressure. Augems Pen works web page for the drilled antler: http://www.augumspenworks.com/apwwebsite_033.htm

Rifleman1776

Using weight as a guide will get you nowhere. It all depends on thickness (or thin-ness) and how much marrow you are willing to have show through. The curve will affect usability. These factors are what make antler pens unique and challenging. BTW, I get most of mine from antique shops and flea markets. Keep your eyes open.

PaulDoug

Yard sales are a good source also. My sister-in-law brought me a nice 3 point elk rack a while back. She paid 50 cents for it. The husband was gone so his wife priced it:D.

My SIL was so proud of herself.. I made a pen for her.

loglugger

Thanks I didn't remember how long.
Bob

Originally posted by edman2

I can generally get 3 pens from a pound although it does vary with the horn.
I tried to find the article about boiling antler but got timed out by our wonderful search tool.:D But, everything I've read about boiling antler for pens and for knife handles says about 20 minutes for boiling before it is placed in a vise.

edit: Finally found the thread:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27804&SearchTerms=antler

This should allow you to increase the number of pens per pound.

Top Bottom