How many pen kits do you own?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

I make pens purely as a hobby. Yes, I have sold a few before but it is not my intention or goal. I make them because its fun to do. I've been trying to get my pen kits better organized so I know what I have on hand so tonight I sat down and made myself an EXCEL spreadsheet to keep track of what I have. I know I don't make nearly as many as some of you here do but was surprised to find out that I have about 75 kits. So it got me thinking......If you turn them just as a hobby....how many kits do you have on hand?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

I have 22 different sets of bushings or mandrels on hand for my turning projects .... bottle stopper, razor handle, and 2 jewelry mandrel sets, so 18 different pen bushing sets, plus the 7mm mandrel bushings that came with my pen mandrel.

This means that I have the bushings needed for 19 different pen kits, possibly more if they double up, which some do ... I know my 30 cal PSI bushings can handle multiple pen styles in addition to the bolt action kits I've done.

I tend to buy just a few pen kits to make and sell, typically for myself or as a special order item from friends and family, so I don't keep a lot on hand ....

That having been said, I've recently found a few kits out there that were a great deal or bargain that are also excellent finished kits.

The Le Roi Elegant in chrome/black chrome was being sold out in 5-packs for 25 dollars a pack ... an excellent pen with a beautiful finish. I managed to grab 2 packs, and I've made 3 pens from it. This one was NOT the V2 or the "Long Barrel" ... it's the older one with the slightly wider barrel, so you'ld need to back-paint the blank or paint the barrel so it won't show through on acrylics. The barrel gets turned very thin, so blowouts may be common with this, but I enjoy the challenge and it's a very nice pen when completed.

The Slimline and Funline style pens are very cheap and easy to make. Excellent for showing off a wood or acrylic blank, and they fit nicely in the hand. I have some leftovers of a 25-pack in gold finish and a 10-pack in gunmetal finish that I got through a program meant for "Turning for the Troops", and while I occasionally turn a pen for a friend using these, I much more often turn a pen for the troops. Rather than send the pens on to be distributed through the usual system, however ... I live right next to Ft Sill, in Oklahoma. I like to personally hand the pens out to the troops. I think I have about 20 of these left, at the moment.

Most of the rest of my pens, I got as a 1-off or bought them as part of a "starter set". In reserve, I have 1 PSI Dragon pen in Antique Bronze, 2 platinum finish Sierras, a full size PSI Majestic, 2 PSI Majestic Jr - all 3 Majestics are in Rhodium/TiN Gold... I also have a spare PSI Bolt Action in Gold and an Antique Nickle Lever Action pen. I also have 3 Breast Cancer Awareness pen kits still laying about that I haven't turned yet. Those are popular with the ladies and girls year round, just cuz they're so pretty. I think I missed a few here and there .... oh, and another click pencil kit in a slimline style that I haven't turned yet.

All in all, I have less than 50 kits around the lathe.

10, two of which also have a matching pencil. I do have a handful of pens I plan to take apart & do over either with new barrels or by reshaping the current barrels, maybe 15 total. I also have a few razor & razor stand kits.

keithncsu

I "stocked up" right after Christmas to use my 10% code from Bear Tooth Woods. I use quotations because my stocked up is way different than others I'm sure. I don't know the exact count but I'd say it is around 30. Mixture of slimlines, Sierras, and a handful of bolt action. Also have about 4 various rollerball kits from someone selling on here. I have about 3 bottle stoppers and 2 razor handles/stands. Bought them to give them a try - haven't been able to turn them yet.

Right now they are stuffed in the flat rate boxes they came in. I too have been trying to figure out the best way to store/organize them. Keep hoping for some veteran wisdom to pop up here regarding that.

Rick_G

About 100 or more, most will be given away to our military or friends and relatives or others I meet that admire the pen I am using. None are overly expensive kits because it's a hobby for me and I want to keep it that way so I sell very few although I do stick with the better platings.

MTViper

I'm in the process of cleaning and reorganizing my shop. Part of that process is inventorying and thinning out my pen kit selection. Last fall I bought a lightly used midi lathe and it came with 30 or so pen kits, most of which were slimline derivatives. I don't like turning those so I thought I'd box up those along with the kits I no longer wanted to keep because I'd never turn them. I sent them to Sharon Wertz at Arizona Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired. After thinning my kits out, I still had 250 on my inventory sheet. I shoulda inventoried long ago.

jttheclockman

Never stopped to count and really does not matter to me. I buy if i get a good deal or if i need a certain kit I buy more than I need because I use those kits all the time. I will put it over 500

This is just a rough estimate , but right now I'm guessing between 100 and 150 kits. I bought quite a few kits a number of years ago both for my wife and I to turn, and for the kids that were in my 4-H woodworking group to turn. Then there was a period of a number of years where I didn't turn any, and at the end of last year I ordered about 50 or so more kits as I plan to get back into turning them again. Somewhere I also have a box of really old kits I bought off ebay about 15 years ago. I am not even sure where that box of kits is at, but they were old kits at the time I bought them. They were unlike any of the kits that were available anywhere at the time I bought them, and when I find the kits, I plan on posting a picture of them on here for the pros to tell me exactly what the kits are. I am a hobby turner as well, only sold a handful of pens years ago, but given many away as gifts.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Probably in the 200-300 range - about half are slims, about 1/4 Sierra styles and the rest misc kits, in quantities of 1-10.

It's primarily a hobby for me & I give away or donate most. I might sell about 5 per year just because someone asks me to - I don't actively try to sell pens.

I might buy a single kit at the local Woodcraft from time to time, but I always up more than I need at the time when I'm ordering to get discounts & make shipping costs seem more palatable. So inventory keeps growing faster than I can turn, but I fully intend to live long enough to use them all up. :)

Don Rabchenuk

I would guesstimate 100-150. Most are given away to police as thin blue line much like these.

538.jpg

RegisG

I would say 75-100 plus about 25 slimline pencil kits. But, I started Dec 2016. Only have given 3 away so far.
Isn't it a pleasure to make these. I need more blanks!!!!!
Regis

jcm71

Well, if my spreadsheet is correct, I have 317 uncompleted component sets and 304 completed pens in inventory. I have no idea how pen blanks I have. Approaching 1000 is a rough guess. Need to get busy.

flyitfast

I would say 75-100 plus about 25 slimline pencil kits. But, I started Dec 2016. Only have given 3 away so far.
Isn't it a pleasure to make these. I need more blanks!!!!!
Regis

Since you are kind of a newbie maybe you qualify for a box of blanks from somewhere here on IAP. I'm not sure who was supporting that program, but if no one else is I'll be happy to send a box of blanks along if that will help? Won't be many premium blanks but will give you something to wrap around all those kits.

PM me and I'll send a box along.

Gordon

hcpens

Pen Kits

If I told anyone or let it slip on how many I don't know that I might have, somewhere in my garage, and my wife found out I would never be able to buy again. :embarrassed:

lyonsacc

30 to 40 pen kits
20 to 30 other project kits
Enough to keep me busy for 2 or more years (but I will probably pick up a few as "needed")

flyitfast

If I told anyone or let it slip on how many I don't know that I might have, somewhere in my garage, and my wife found out I would never be able to buy again. :embarrassed:

Richard, with all the blanks you won in the SB pool you may need more kits - explain that to your wife!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Gordon

OZturner

Wow What a Surprise. :wink:
I was going to Say -
"Not as many as I would Like". (there are just so many Pens I would Love to try). :rolleyes:
"More than SWMBO knows about". :redface:
Then I looked up My Spreadsheet, it is >150, With a Landed Cost of Just Over $Au 2.7K (This shows the Impact of International Postage, and Foreign Currency Exchange) :eek:
If the Minister for War, Social Activities, and Treasury finds out, I will be in Deep Doo Doo. :frown:
And If I had a Dog, I would be Sharing Accommodation and all Meals with it. :dog:
Now I am Scared Stiff. :beat-up:
Brian.

Last edited:
My inventory

My inventory as of this past week was 146, plus a letter opener, 2 screwdrivers, and a seam ripper.

Hadn't done an inventory for quite a while and did this one just last week.

Blanks, well, that is another story. Don't even want to go there.

Top Bottom