How many pen blanks do you have?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

As the flip side of the pen kit thread, how many pen blanks do you have?
I have about 100, including plastics.
I had a lot more awhile back, but I gave a lot of them away for free boxes of blanks for beginners.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Hmmm .... aside from the wood I just bought last week (about 4 board feet for 140 dollars), I also had around 10 board feet of walnut, 4 board feet of maple, 8 board feet of aromatic cedar, 6 board feet of oak, 4 board feet of mesquite, 4 board feet of cocobolo, and 2 board feet of gabon ebony. I also have roughly 60-odd exotic/hardwood blanks and perhaps 40 acrylic blanks, plus 1 brass blank (100+ 1/4" brass washers) and a 3-foot rod of aluminum bar stock 1/2" thick.

I'm not saying what the wood is that I just bought last week .... it's a secret, for now. :)

keithncsu

Pre cut to size? Probably 30-35?? Maybe more. But I also have quite a bit of large stuff I've been cutting off of. No idea how to measure it though. A friend dropped it off back before Thankgiving and had me make some christmas pens for him. Told me to keep the rest.

tbfoto

I had a bad habit of buying wood when ever I could find it on sale. I have WAY too many blanks and have committed myself to using what I have first. I probably have about 200-300 blanks plus planks of wood not cut into blanks yet.

Skie_M

I had a bad habit of buying wood when ever I could find it on sale. I have WAY too many blanks and have committed myself to using what I have first. I probably have about 200-300 blanks plus planks of wood not cut into blanks yet.

pro tip:

Don't count the boards!!! This way you can confuse the wife and family that this wood is meant for "real" woodworking projects and home improvement plans!

For more such pro tips, consult the link in my sig! :biggrin:

MTViper

I'd guess 300-400. I have two big boxes completely full with the blanks stored on end. I have one of acrylic and one of wood. I also have a box of laser cut blanks, but only a dozen or so of those.

One thing about both my pen kits and my pen blanks, add them together, total up the costs, and i don't have 0.01% as many pen kits and blanks as my wife has quilt fabric. I'm wayyyyyyy behind.

I'm a minimalist compared to the numbers here. 17 wood and 25 acrylic, most of which I cast myself. I'll be sending a good amount to my brother who has never turned acrylic. I'll also be casting more this weekend.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Blanks :eek:! Well, I still have about (my bookeeper quite yesterday) 8,000 - yes that is 8 K! For the IAP Estate blank sales.

Me personally, about 400-500 many are common, so about 80-100, nice.

IAP sales to start again after the BASH!

turn81

I'd guess 300-400. I have two big boxes completely full with the blanks stored on end. I have one of acrylic and one of wood. I also have a box of laser cut blanks, but only a dozen or so of those.

One thing about both my pen kits and my pen blanks, add them together, total up the costs, and i don't have 0.01% as many pen kits and blanks as my wife has quilt fabric. I'm wayyyyyyy behind.

I'm with you Steve! I have somewhere around 500 or so (I cut my boards to Width and height dimensions, but don't cut to blank size length until I plan out a pen).

My wife on the other hand could open a fabric wholesale warehouse and still have plenty for her projects. Apparently everything is designated for something specific. So is my wood. So is my wood

robutacion

Well, I've seen some very impressive numbers posted on here, that is for sure, I don't think that you want to know how many pen blanks I have, let's just say that surpasses any of the higher numbers mentioned so far and don't really want to be too accurate because I don't feel to be counting blanks with this 40 celsius heat and even if was cooler, that would be a job that wouldn't excite me much.

I do however enjoy looking at my logs and think of the amount of time I will be on the bandsaw discovering/exploring the treasure within, not every piece is gold but I'm OK with that as I like to sliced those logs into piles of pen blanks strapped in "drying towers" and put in the wood drying shed for a few months and in the meantime, I will continue to slice more logs and cut more pen blanks, I have some boxes with pen blanks cut almost 10 years ago and each year I add some more, some are shorts but most are blanks that I cut in large numbers and that didn't sell well so, I put them aside.

So yes, I have a "few"...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Sprung

Ready to go blanks, somewhere around 900 to 1,000. Have plenty of stuff that will eventually get cut up, some of it will yield pen blanks. Another 250 or so that are in the process, or will eventually be in the process, of becoming stabilized and dyed/double dyed blanks. That does not include other turning stock, though that isn't as plentiful as pen blanks.

And a small stack of smaller logs to cut up come spring. And a whole apple tree that we had to cut down and was cut into logs - was about dead and was 90% or more spalted material already upon cutting.

Then there's the lumber. Probably 700 or 800 board feet of lumber for furniture building.

I'm not really supposed to be buying any wood for a while, and yet the occasional box still somehow shows up...

Terredax

Banned
When I started casting pen blanks, I went a little crazy. I found a new use for the resins I had worked with for many years.

I have somewhere around 5,000+/- resin blanks that were all cast by myself.
Seems kind of silly to have that many resin blanks, when I've only made three pens, but I enjoy casting and seeing the results coming from the molds, is exciting.

I have woods and other substrates such as Corian, G10, Micarta, Casein, Bakelite, Celluloid, Lucite, Catalin, and of coarse the non-ferrous metals all in addition to the resins, but I didn't include those as I didn't make them.

Some of the above materials are in blocks and I hate to cut them up, so I have them stacked on shelves, so I can take them down and admire them periodically.

Top Bottom