How many mandrels do you use?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

I suppose this could be a pole but oh-well. I have found that since I started taking my time a bit more to get a better finish that I am swapping around pens alot. I have just ordered a second mandrel so I can swap between at least two quicker.
So I am wondering how many mandrels you use and if you have any tricks to better product flow?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

I have 3 mandrels. 2-A and 1-B. I swap between the 2 A mandrels when I am doing more then one pen on the same day. Gives it time to cure before I handle it.

jbyrd24

I have 4, actually one complete adjustable mandrel and 3 replacement rods. I just loosen the rods and put them in a rack with the barrels and bushing still on. Saves buying the complete mandrel.You do need
a couple of sets of bushing though.

dubdrvrkev

Do you just use Pin Jaws and clamp the rod into them? If so, I guess there is no need for one of the adjustable length mandrels.
I use them to drill my blanks since I dont have a DP, but I never thought about using them for a mandrel.

its_virgil

2 of the Berea large size; 2 adjustable arbors with 6 or 8 rods, 4 non adjustble arbors, and a Beall Collet chuck whic I use all the time now.With the adjustable arbors and the Beall system, I can remove the mandrel rod and insert another one if a pen needs to cure prior to buffing/handling.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

M

Mudder

I have 6 and 2 spare rods.
Rarely turn more than 6 pens a night so I can swap them out while the finish on one cures. The 2 spare rods can be used in the jacobs chuck and the collet chuck if I need 8. Woodcraft has the professional mandrel on closeout for about $20.00 so I bought a couple as the tool budget allowed.

Doghouse

1 non adjustable type A
2 adjustable type A
1 non adjustable type B
1 aluminum rod to stack tubes on in pairs

Most of the time it is one for each lathe, but the rod works wonders. I picked up an aluminum rod and stick it in the vice. After they are turned I stack them on there. Once all of them are ready, I spray them with laquer. That way they can sit and rest while drying.

hobby_dale

I have 2 currently, both adjustable (Penn State and Woodcraft). Didn't understand the whole, mandrels are different for different company pen kits thing, until just recently. Now I am considering getting some Berea (A/B) to handle their kits as well. I maybe heading in the wrong direction, I don't know enough yet to know.

nilsatcraft

I have three standard mandrels, one adjustable and one collet chuck that I use with the rods. If I'm doing a higher end pen I can use the collet or adjustable to improve my chances of getting it dead on. If I'm doing regular pens, I'll use my regular mandrel. It's always nice to keep one mandrel that you only use occasionally to improve the chances of it staying perfectly straight. Collets also help in this because the rod has no choice but to be centered.

Fred in NC

Dale, the PSI mandrel is a smaller diamater.

All the others are very close in size, and I have found that they are practically interchangeable. (not the Berea B mandrel, of course !)

Rifleman1776

Hobby Dale said, "Didn't understand the whole, mandrels are different for different company pen kits thing, "
Welcome to the Alice in Wonderland world of crafts. They do that deliberately to keep us nuts. [:p][:eek:)]

alamocdc

Interesting question was posted by Kevin and I'd like to know as well. I have a chuck with pin jaws, but I'm note sure it would be stable enough for a mandrel rod. What say you experts? It is a decent self-centering chuck, but... could save money if acceptable and I'm all about saving money when I can.

dubdrvrkev

I considered buying the berea w/a&b rods to go with the one I just ordered (CSUSA pro) but it sounds like I may just need rods. I have a jacobs that I could use and I also have a supernova2 with pin jaws, which I'd rather use, since that is what I use to drill blanks out with. That would be one less tooling change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom