How to make snakeskin blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

Ok, first, I have done the search, which came back with lots of info about cloudy castings and sources for snakeskins. However, none of my searches actually contained a post where anyone explained how to make the blank.

I ask because I will be purchasing some resin in the next week and would like to give the snakeskin pens a try. So, if anyone could post about how they cut the skins, and wrap or attach to get ready for the resin, I would appreciate it.

-Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Okay Mike here goes. This is how i do it...you may find something else works for you...my method was by trial and (lots of) error and I don't claim it is the easiest or best way to prepare the snake skin blanks. You get what you pay for.

(1) I cut the skin section from the center of the snake skin paying attention to pattern, pattern position and overall final look. I cut a rectangular section just a little longer and wider(important for the seam which is not a butt seam, but rather an overlapping seam) than the length and circumference of the tube to be used.

(2) I pin the skin section to a piece cardboard with regular straight pins, stretching it in both directions to insure it is flat. I suppose it can be overly stretched, so don't really crank on it. You just want it flat...no wrinkles or bulges.

(3) I use CA to glue on the skins. Some here have reported using carpenter's glue...the yellow Elmer's type glue. I have not tried it. I continue to use CA. I have some CA in a little bottle with a brush on the cap much like liquid paper...hmmm...I should be saving the liquid paper bottles from the office, clean them out and fill with CA..Thanks Mike..a good idea...Back to the snake skins..I brush CA on the skin right down the middle..watching out for the snake pattern and keeping the glue strip centered on the skin pattern. Place the tube on the strip of CA, pressing dowm firmly until the CA has cured.

(4) I remove the pins from the skin, paint CA on one half of the skin and roll the tube over the CA to glue that half of the skin. Roll firmly so the skin is attached to the tube with no bubbles or bulges.

(5) Repeat on the other half of the skin and let the skin's edge overlap onto the first glued down skin edge about 1/16 inch and be sure to hold pressure on the seam so it presses firmly flat so it is as undetectable as possible. Some skins hide the seam better than others.

(6) trim ends with sissors..

If you use base plat wax(or someting else) to seal the ends of the tubes, plug the tubes before starting.

I would suggest practicing with tubes or a dowel and some material, paper etc to discover the pitfalls...CA dries instantly...you must be careful...really careful or your fingers get glued to the skins and the tube. Fingers glued to skin and pulling off will remove the scales from the skin....be careful, go slowly, practice and you can do it. You may even find a better or easier way than this. If so, let me know. Happy gluing and casting....Do read the articles by Jay Pickens and the one by Anthony Turchetta...excellent information.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Mikey
<br />Ok, first, I have done the search, which came back with lots of info about cloudy castings and sources for snakeskins. However, none of my searches actually contained a post where anyone explained how to make the blank.
-Mike

M

Mudder

Thanks Don,

I cast some skins last night and they came out well. In reading your writeup I learned a couple of things that i'm going to try on the next batch

its_virgil

You're welcome. Hope you picked up a pointer or two.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Mudder
<br />Thanks Don,

I cast some skins last night and they came out well. In reading your writeup I learned a couple of things that i'm going to try on the next batch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom