How to make this pencil kit?? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default How to make this pencil kit??

I am getting my feet wet with some pencil kits that I bought pretty cheap from company closing.
My problem is the top (pocket clip) has to be extremely small. Here are pictures of the kit, then my 1st attempt, and finally one where I made a metal tube for the top. What is the correct way to make this????

Kit:
All wood:
Metal/wood side view
Metal/wood 2nd view:

I would appreciate any tips, suggestions. Also, I have enough that if 2 or 3 people message me with address, I'll send you one to see what you can do with it.

Thanks,
Regis
RegisG is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Looks like your typical slimline knockoff, but made by Dayacom, so the quality may be decent... they are generally made with straight, thin barrels.

I wouldn't mind making one ... it would be my first pencil. :)

Attendance is not mandatory, unless you're addicted to turning pens.
Skie_M is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-31-2016, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Looks like a standard "Slimline" pencil to me. Really, if you'd turn those blanks down to the bushings like it "supposed" to be, the clip and everything else would fit nicely. If you want to make a huge pencil, there are other component sets available. :-)

Regards,
Michael
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2016, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi Regis, were you able to get the bushings for those kits? If not, you can measure the ends and centerband with calipers and turn the barrels to those measurements. If you don't have calipers, use a small crescent wrench to get the barrel ends about the right sizes.

The clip is made to work for pretty thin barrels. Lots of people like to make more bulging shapes, and that is fine, it just means that the clip will not look or function as well.

The metal tube on the second pen will need to be a bit thicker to match up with the pen parts.

There are lots of things to learn, and it looks like you are not afraid to try new things. Keep experimenting and you'll get the hang of it.

Non Impedite Raditioni Cogitationis.
(Unencumbered by the thought process.)
Tom and Ray Magliozzi
thewishman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-01-2017, 01:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have made fatter pens from slimline kits. I try to keep the diameter at the nib end thin, but create a fatter middle (discard the middle ring and make the area where the ring is a bit fatter. This gives a more normal looking pen. Don Ward wrote a book on this. You might want to invest a few bucks in his book. It opens up a whole new world while the kit cost can still be as low as $2.00.
ffloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewishman View Post
Hi Regis, were you able to get the bushings for those kits? If not, you can measure the ends and centerband with calipers and turn the barrels to those measurements. If you don't have calipers, use a small crescent wrench to get the barrel ends about the right sizes.

The clip is made to work for pretty thin barrels. Lots of people like to make more bulging shapes, and that is fine, it just means that the clip will not look or function as well.

The metal tube on the second pen will need to be a bit thicker to match up with the pen parts.

There are lots of things to learn, and it looks like you are not afraid to try new things. Keep experimenting and you'll get the hang of it.
Well, I guess I'm not sure if I have the correct bushings. There were bushings with the mandrel but, they may just be to separate part from the ends???
I guess it is a good thing that I signed up for intro pen turning at Woodcrafter because I really need to learn those basics. That will be in a couple weeks. So maybe I'll just turn some wood and improve skills with different tools in the mean time.
Thanks,
Regis
RegisG is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Turned out pretty nice ... just American Walnut with a CA finish.

Last edited by Skie_M; 01-11-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie_M View Post

Turned out pretty nice ... just American Walnut with a CA finish.
Wierd ... I know I loaded it, and the link is in plain view when I quote the post, but it's not showing up at all ... lol

Must be because I loaded multiple pictures using a different thread, perhaps?

Lemmie load it again.

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads