How to make a pen press?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Great Idea Did you cut the clamp down I never seen on that short ?

Nope, it's just off the shelf. I couldn't find it on the HF web site, though. The closest thing is:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38183

This is a 24" clamp; the clamp I used is a 14".
I clicked on the link and got a picture of an irrigation system.
Could be that the link was posted almost two years ago and things change on the web! :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navycop

Great Idea Did you cut the clamp down I never seen on that short ?

Nope, it's just off the shelf. I couldn't find it on the HF web site, though. The closest thing is:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38183

This is a 24" clamp; the clamp I used is a 14".
I clicked on the link and got a picture of an irrigation system.
Could be that the link was posted almost two years ago and things change on the web! :biggrin:
Great. I thought it was just me. :monkey:

dogcatcher

In the original photo of the pen press the handle with the black plastic on it looks like a toggle clamp. Like this one except a longer handle. http://www.amazon.com/34182-Horizon...Y6I0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1324886520&sr=8-6

41t6cudTBsL.jpg

tim foster

Here is the pen press that I made yesterday.

I built this little press yesterday. I still have a few things to do to it. I need to find some nylon material to put on the bolt heads.
I think it will work very well.
Tim

Attachments

• 135.jpg
    135.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 469

navycop

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Here's a pic of the one I made for less than $20.00. 2 MT2 stub arbours and a couple of small pieces of 3/4" delrin double sided taped to the arbours.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pen press (Small).jpg
    Pen press (Small).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 618

Wingdoctor

I've been using a PSI press for a couple of years and I do not really like it. The tailpiece skews off line and it is just not as precise as I want. I have been looking for a replacement and couldn't find what I wanted or could afford. There is a man named Bob Marley that has a web site on turning, pens included, and he has many videos of his processes online. He had also been dissatisfied with his pen pressing methods and designed and built a great looking pen press. He sells completed presses, at a price, and the plans to build your own, for less than $3. His web address is Marleyturned.com and if you go to his store you will see the press and plans for it. I am not connected in any way with Marley Turned except as a customer who bought his plans. They are very detailed and I will be starting to build it soon. It might be worth your time to check it out.

studioso

Robert Taylor

marley pen press

I've been using a PSI press for a couple of years and I do not really like it. The tailpiece skews off line and it is just not as precise as I want. I have been looking for a replacement and couldn't find what I wanted or could afford. There is a man named Bob Marley that has a web site on turning, pens included, and he has many videos of his processes online. He had also been dissatisfied with his pen pressing methods and designed and built a great looking pen press. He sells completed presses, at a price, and the plans to build your own, for less than $3. His web address is Marleyturned.com and if you go to his store you will see the press and plans for it. I am not connected in any way with Marley Turned except as a customer who bought his plans. They are very detailed and I will be starting to build it soon. It might be worth your time to check it out.

after you build it and begin to use it you will quickly find the biggest problem in it's design. the anvil (the piece you will press against) will not hold up. it will pop up out of the base as you press the parts together. redesign your anvil to be two pieces of 3/4" square hardwood with holes drilled every 1/2" and spaced so that you can make the anvil slide between them and lock with a steel pin. also is a picture of my version of Mack's pen press for way less than $20.00. it was made from the scrap box and is the one that i actually use.

Attachments

• IMG_7413 - Copy (Small).JPG
    IMG_7413 - Copy (Small).JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 402

ren-lathe

I have the one from PSI but was never happy with it. A few years ago I stumbled on an sort of small arbor press for $10.00 I put a leather pad on the arm & plate. The key is to not press hard. Light pressure & the Pens slide together easily.

Top Bottom