How to make a million

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chris Bar

Have looked and searched and investigated until my eyes are tired and my fingers numb...but I cannot find a quality combination of twist style pen and pencil kit with a TiN finish, is midsized (i.e. the mid size Euro or American) and uses the Parker style refill. Seems the first company that produces this combination will make a million...or maybe less if others don't agree that this the one perfect solution to all needs :biggrin: . To be completely honest, I suppose there is an outside chance that I have just been less than perfect in my rooting around...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

igran7

The Perfect Fit from Berea is both a Midsize pen and or Pencil. You can change the Parker refill out for a Schmidt pencil refill and use the same pen.

The roundtop European and the Flat Top Americanna have both a Pen & pencil kits available. The pens use a Parker refill not the Cross. The Cross style European kit uses a 7mm or "O" size bit, while the one I am talking about uses an 8mm or "U" size bit. I know Rockler sells both kits in pen and pencil versions. I'm sure any Berea reseller also has them. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

The Perfect Fit from Berea is both a Midsize pen and or Pencil. You can change the Parker refill out for a Schmidt pencil refill and use the same pen.

The roundtop European and the Flat Top Americanna have both a Pen & pencil kits available. The pens use a Parker refill not the Cross. The Cross style European kit uses a 7mm or "O" size bit, while the one I am talking about uses an 8mm or "U" size bit. I know Rockler sells both kits in pen and pencil versions. I'm sure any Berea reseller also has them. Hope this helps.

This is not quite true. The Roundtop Euros and Flat Top American from Berea that utilizes the Parker refills require the letter "O" bit, which is a smidgen over 8 mm. The so-called 7 mm kits, kits that use the cross-style refills, require a 7 mm bit or letter "J" bit - some people even use a 9/32 bit.
The Sierra pens can be changed in a way that accepts the pencil refill from Schmidt.
The PFC has also my vote for the best pen/pencil kit!!

Last edited:

rjwolfe3

The Slimline Pro pen and pencil set (8mm) is mid size and uses a Parker refill and is available in both Gold Ti and Black Ti. Do you consider the cigar pen and pencil to be too big?

Chris Bar

OK, I have found the Perfect Fit which has the Ti N in pen and convertible pencil, but am still looking for the 8mm Euro in Ti N. Found at least one supplier with the 8mm Euro but still looking at their specs for plating data. And I assume the PFC is the Perfect Fit _____ (something), and yes the cigar is a bit thick for expected users.

Thanks for the insight...don't know why I cannot find this stuff sometimes. Will still look for the Slimline Pro and the Sierra. Have four of the CS Euros left from the almost two dozen pens and other turned trinkets I made for Christmas gifts (not all Euros and they were my first pens). Made more Jr. Gentlemen pens than anything else. Think I need to return the extra cross refill Euros for pens that use the Parker.

Seems I cannot learn it all at one time....just enough to make something...and always enough to find myself in trouble again.
Thanks for the help.

jskeen

The 8mm euro's are available direct from berea, or from different resalers, some offering different platings than others. To my knowledge, all these kits use a black plastic dome on the top rather than the metal press in bushing and screw in dome on the 7mm euro kits. The only 8mm euro kit I know of with a matching metal dome is the Neopen that Aaron custom orders and sells on his website here http://laulauwood.com/ballpoint-kits.asp . It also comes with a roller style clip over the straight clip on the berea version and a much better price.

Rudy Vey

OK, I have found the Perfect Fit which has the Ti N in pen and convertible pencil, but am still looking for the 8mm Euro in Ti N. Found at least one supplier with the 8mm Euro but still looking at their specs for plating data. And I assume the PFC is the Perfect Fit _____ (something), and yes the cigar is a bit thick for expected users.

Thanks for the insight...don't know why I cannot find this stuff sometimes. Will still look for the Slimline Pro and the Sierra. Have four of the CS Euros left from the almost two dozen pens and other turned trinkets I made for Christmas gifts (not all Euros and they were my first pens). Made more Jr. Gentlemen pens than anything else. Think I need to return the extra cross refill Euros for pens that use the Parker.

Seems I cannot learn it all at one time....just enough to make something...and always enough to find myself in trouble again.
Thanks for the help.

I recommend to visit the websites of our suppliers once in a while and spend some time scrolling through their offerings. Here is Berea's European Round Top, the pens you were looking for:
http://bereahardwoods.com/Merchant5...t_Titanium_Gold&Category_Code=pk-rt-ballpoint

I have made a lot of these, its a nice pen kit in the ball point version. I never liked the pencil, the mechanism is very old fashioned and I never understood why they haven't changed it over time. Its not easy to put new leads in - I even wrote up an instruction how to do it to assist my customers. I may have some kits left, in case you are interested, just pm me.

Last edited:

Chris Bar

Thanks for all the help but....still looking; the plastic on the various components excludes them from consideration; the neo-whatever seems to be the answer but something is different and unusual and funky about that pen...cannot explain it! Still looking for the non-plastic, typical ballpoint looking, Parker friendly pen in TiN, even after visiting all the vendor sites. Thanks again for the help.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
To my knowledge, all these kits use a black plastic dome on the top rather than the metal press in bushing and screw in dome on the 7mm euro kits. The only 8mm euro kit I know of with a matching metal dome is the Neopen that Aaron custom orders and sells on his website here http://laulauwood.com/ballpoint-kits.asp .

My memory isn't so good, so I'll have to go back and look up the paperwork,
but the 8mm kits I got from (I think.. William WoodWrite?) all had the metal
domes. I ordered a few of the chrome kits and they look sharp.. especially
with the chrome and a dark TruStone. (red jasper, malachite etc.)

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for all the help but....still looking; the plastic on the various components excludes them from consideration;

I just checked the site, and I'm not sure why I'm not seeing any metal
tops, as the pens I got here definitely have metal finials, not the black
plastic that is shown. I still haven't found an invoice to give you the
model number, but these MIGHT be what you're looking for. Parker refills,
too. I'm also sure someone else carries the same kits if the shipping from
Canada is too high.

http://www.penblanks.ca/index.php?target=categories&category_id=32

Rudy Vey

I just checked the site, and I'm not sure why I'm not seeing any metal
tops, as the pens I got here definitely have metal finials, not the black
plastic that is shown. I still haven't found an invoice to give you the
model number, but these MIGHT be what you're looking for. Parker refills,
too. I'm also sure someone else carries the same kits if the shipping from
Canada is too high.

http://www.penblanks.ca/index.php?target=categories&category_id=32

If you would take a look at the link I posted a couple above you will see that these pens have a black finial. This finial is made from brass but coated with a black paint/lacquer/powder coat or whatever - these finials are not plastic.

Chris Bar

Yes, thank you, thank you! Had looked at this one but decided against it due to lack of a tenon to hold the middle ring. But think I might have a solution to that...just drill it out to the size of which I want for a tenon; I prefer not turning to bare metal. Seems the tenon makes the assembly a more cohesive unit. That pen surely looks sharp. The need for a B-mandrel started to rub me the wrong way until I realized it makes it slightly more rigid and stronger.
Chris

Rudy Vey

Yes, thank you, thank you! Had looked at this one but decided against it due to lack of a tenon to hold the middle ring. But think I might have a solution to that...just drill it out to the size of which I want for a tenon; I prefer not turning to bare metal. Seems the tenon makes the assembly a more cohesive unit. That pen surely looks sharp. The need for a B-mandrel started to rub me the wrong way until I realized it makes it slightly more rigid and stronger.
Chris
I made many of the FT version of this pen - hundreds - and never had a problem, I just cut the upper blank short, so there is no need to cut down the wood to the brass. Don't see the need for a wood tenon or why you would drill out the centerband assembly. But let us know how this works for you.
The B mandrel is very much more stable and rigid than the A mandrel.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
If you would take a look at the link I posted a couple above you will see that these pens have a black finial.

I did look, and posted the link to the site where I got mine. (I'm 99% sure)
and what I got was either chrome or rhodium kits with matching (NOT black)
finials. I wish I could find the invoice to be sure.

Rudy Vey

Thanks for all the help but....still looking; the plastic on the various components excludes them from consideration; the neo-whatever seems to be the answer but something is different and unusual and funky about that pen...cannot explain it! Still looking for the non-plastic, typical ballpoint looking, Parker friendly pen in TiN, even after visiting all the vendor sites. Thanks again for the help.

"the plastic on the various components excludes them from consideration"

How many of these kits have you seen and had in your hand? I cannot recall any plastic on these round top European from Berea. The only plastic piece is the end of the parker style refill or in the transmission :biggrin:.
I would recommend to get your hands on one of the kits to judge for yourself.
Just checked in my shop I have a few kits left and I can send you one if you like - free, just pay the postage!
Here are the instructions:
http://bereahardwoods.com/price/kits/pdf/3_RTEuroDoubleTwistPen.pdf

Chris Bar

Received a reply e-mail from penblanks.ca which stated that they assumed the finials were metal due to their weight, and were painted with black epoxy. So I will then also assume they are metal, which will do me no good, since I do not do well with assumtions. Worked 30 years in engineering making assumptions and now I don't have to do assumptions. When I can get proof or confirmation, that avenue can be explored. New at this so might need to stay with pens I know and made.
Confirmed, finials are metal; now to order.
pens and stuff.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom