How long Rattlesnake pens been around?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I'm trying to determine how long people have been making Rattlesnake skin pens or any other kind of snakeskin pens. I did a search and the oldest entry I could find was August 2004, but there was a comment in that thread about Jay Pickens casting them in PR. I need this to figure out if someone is taking credit for this inappropriately.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Gerry,
Jay's article is in the articles section of the home page (it's actually still ON the home page, too). He obviously had been casting them before he wrote the article. According to the article's properties page (from Adobe Acrobat) the article was created on October 4, 2003. Hope this helps!

its_virgil

I'm not sure what your motive is and don't really care. Lots of the commercial pen companies have been making snake skin pens for longer than any of us. Maybe you should shift your "witch hunt", which is what is sounds like to me, to the "big boys".The post you mentioned happens to be mine, I think. I mentioned the only others that I had known of at the time who had cast snake skins using polyester resin. The Baldwin Bros, were the first that I know of and Jay Pickens got info from them. Jay learned how and then I was taught the process by Jay. Jay taught me the process in the summer of 2003. I took no credit for the process and Jay has given credit to learning the process to the Baldwin Bros in numerous posts on others forums. The snake skin pens and polyester resin have created more interest on this forum than any other material, except for maybe Lucite which was introduced to us by Anthony Turchetta, who, by the way, makes some real nice snake skin pens also. Good luck on your "hunt"
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />I'm trying to determine how long people have been making Rattlesnake skin pens or any other kind of snakeskin pens. I did a search and the oldest entry I could find was August 2004, but there was a comment in that thread about Jay Pickens casting them in PR. I need this to figure out if someone is taking credit for this inappropriately.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Does it really matter who started what and when, or who was first?? We are here to share information and techniques. Knowing who was first shouldn't matter.

We associate names to a lot of things on this and other forums. I see things referred to as the "XXXX finish", the "XXXX Pen", or the "XXXX Tool", when none of these folks were the first to discuss them on the Internet or anywhere else. The only reason their name has become synonomous with a technique or anything else is only because they were the more vocal about it, or wrote detailed instructions for others to follow.

An example is the CA/BLO finish. I first wrote about it in my Finishing Secrets articles on Wood Central 3 years ago. I got the technique from Michael Dresdner (and give him credit) who got it from unnamed pen turners. It doesn't matter who first. What is important is that it is a technique worth knowing about.

Then there will always be those who claim to be "First" because it means something to them personally, or they hope to make money from it.

Trying to repudiate anyones claim to, or having their name associated with, anything discussed on the Internet can open a box that might be better left closed. Unless you want to start a raging argument that goes way beyond the realm of snakes and their skins, or file a legal claim, does it really matter who was first.

I have the feeling that this will become a very long and convoluted discussion.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
<br />I'm trying to determine how long people have been making Rattlesnake skin pens or any other kind of snakeskin pens. I did a search and the oldest entry I could find was August 2004, but there was a comment in that thread about Jay Pickens casting them in PR. I need this to figure out if someone is taking credit for this inappropriately.

Gerry,

I would have to wonder as others have, what is the point here?

gerryr

This has nothing to do with penturners at all and certainly not you William. Someone has been given credit for coming up with this idea for use in another application which is completely unrelated to pen making and has accepted the credit. Call it a witch hunt if you like, I just don't care for people taking credit for something when they don't deserve it. What I plan to do with the information is another issue and at this point the answer to that is most likely nothing.

its_virgil

Gerry,
My apologies for calling it a witch hunt and I'm certainly satisfied with your reply. Thanks for the answer. You should have told us the whole story in your first post. It's often the left out information that causes misunderstandings. Had I seen your second post first the tone of my reply would have been much more pleasant. Have a good one.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />This has nothing to do with penturners at all and certainly not you William. Someone has been given credit for coming up with this idea for use in another application which is completely unrelated to pen making and has accepted the credit. Call it a witch hunt if you like, I just don't care for people taking credit for something when they don't deserve it. What I plan to do with the information is another issue and at this point the answer to that is most likely nothing.

gerryr

Don,
Not a big deal, but I apologize for calling you William. You're absolutely correct that I should have said this didn't have anything to do with penturners.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Who wasn't on first..who was on second, what was on first [:)][:D]

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />....Does it really matter who started what and when, or who was first?? We are here to share information and techniques. Knowing who was first shouldn't matter....

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
<br />Don,
Not a big deal, but I apologize for calling you William. You're absolutely correct that I should have said this didn't have anything to do with penturners.

Now my feeling are hurt that calling Don William requires an apology!
[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Gerry, I'm with Don, your explanation is fine by me.

its_virgil

...and I Dunno was on third[:D]

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by penhead
<br />Who wasn't on first..who was on second, what was on first [:)][:D]

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />....Does it really matter who started what and when, or who was first?? We are here to share information and techniques. Knowing who was first shouldn't matter....

AirportFF

I agree that people sometimes don't get credit for coming up with something new and inventive. It's happened to me. I'm still pretty upset that Al Gore took credit for the internet from me.......[;)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ok, here's my opportunity-once every six months, I get it in:

Al Gore not only invented the internet, he was instrumental in the discovery of mathematics. After all, how else would we have gotten the "Al Gore Rythm"?

Math majors will be rolling on the floor, others may want to see "algorithm".[:D]

bobaltig

Originally posted by huntersilver
<br />And there are times that you come up with something and
later find out someone else came up with the same thing a long time
ago!
You have absolutely no concept about how much I regret not copyrighting the theory of relativity. Oh well, on to bigger and better things.

Bob A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom