How long has it been since your last confession?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Ok, I must confess: I turned a blank of Wenge today. That is one of the woods for me that takes a lot of effort to get right do to its very splintery grain patterns, and tendancy to open a new grain pocket as soon as you san out the next. Anyway, I turned a fantastic looking Big Ben Cigar out of it today. I can't believe how perfect I got the grain. How perfect the grain lined up when I put the tubes nect to one another. How perfect it was when my wife helped me pick the right kit (Chrome, as opposed to gold, black, or satin chrome). Perfect when I started to assemble it (grin on face in anticipation) when I noted that I had turned the barrels backwards. Yep... The short blank got turned into a bottom tube, and the long blank the top. Sigh... I know... Slow down. But I have another blank, and I will get it right tomorrow. I have the extra long blank turned to perfection sitting near my lathe as a reminder. Nice one eh?

:D

Cheers,

James

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

LOL...makes me feel good James! I did the EXACT same thing, but with cedar instead. Oh, and I think I may have done it with a beautiful piece of African Blackwood, too. Thank you!

smoky10

I must confess that I turned something other than a pen. I had a small square of figured maple that looked like it should be a small bowl. I closed and locked the doors, blocked the windows and turned a bowl. I'm so ashamed!!!!!!!![}:)][:D]

alamocdc

Haven't done a cigar yet, but I have some coming and I thank you in advance for the warning! Concerning the Wenge, I can certainly relate. I just finished an Executive P & P Set in Wenge and had to refinish it THREE times just because I wasn't happy with how some of the grain took the finish each time. And it shined BEFORE I started applying the finish! Talk about frustrating.[xx(] I love the look of Wenge, but I'm not sure I want to work with much after that. Hopefully when my MM comes in it will make a difference.

PenWorks

Forgive me Father, for I have ruined more than my share of PENS [V]
I will pray to make me more perfect.....

I feel better allready! Good for another 10 years [:D]

tomwojeck

I haven't done that yet but I did turn a cigar pen/pencil set together and then proceded to mix up the tops and bottoms during assembly. I got two screw ups for the price of one!

LOL.....got a cherry Euro designer in the display case at the Antique Store. Turned that sucker backwards, odd looking thing with the longer barrel on top. I told Connie I did it on purpose. Welcome to the club, ain't it great knowing we all make the same mistakes...lol[:D]

MDWine

I think I have you all beat for this week...

I started turning pens about 6 weeks ago. I hadn't touched any of my equipment for about 5 or 6 years... not at all... I can't remember the last time I touched the band saw.

I noticed, when cutting blanks for my first set of pens, that the wood was burning pretty badly. Even the soft woods were burning! I only had a few to do, so I told myself that I would tune the BS up later.

Last weekend, I tried to slice a piece off of a spalted pine log (I'll post a pic of this piece of FIREWOOD I saved!!) Again, burned the &*$%&$ out of it! [:(!] Then I noticed what you have already guessed that I did...

Funny, when them little hook things point down how much better the thing cuts, huh!!! [;)]

(I killed a lot of brain cells in the early 70's, trying to catch up to the 60's [:D] )

let the razzing begin...[:p]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Michael,

Having murdered brain cells for a quarter century, I believe that turning is MUCH cheaper than therapy. Keep your hands occupied and the brain cells start to return!![;)][;)] 10 yrs and counting one day at a time.

marjoe

James, I did the same with maple burl yesterday. I didn't know it untill I saw the refill sticking out. I drilled some plastic out of the trans and cut 1/8 in. off the top of the refill, now I can keep it for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom