How long to get really good at turning pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

How long did it take you to get "good" at turning pens?

I've only been turning pens since this January, mostly acrylics and polyesters... I look back at the pens I made a mere month ago, and I wouldn't even give them away, much less sell them. Are my pens next month going to be that much better than the pens I am making now?

Just curious how long you guys think it took you to get good enough to turn pens that you were proud to sell...

Mike...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
There are a lot of factors: Do you spend 2 hr/week on turning or 2 hr a day+. Are you experienced with the basic equipment. Are you caught-up in the desire to make 4 pens a day/20 pens a week, etc... How quickly do you learn from your mistakes?

But, to answer your question (for me only). 4 years ago I wanted to improve quickly and made 100-150 pens in a few months; and I also reflect that most would not leave my basement if that was my quality today.

I am content to make 1-2 VERY nice pens a month now. However, I sell rarely, and every family member, friend, their extended family, their pets, neighbors, etc... already have a pen from me - so no hurry.

Now, as to quality to be proud of. In the first six months I started turning, I may have had 1-2 out of 10 pens of excellent quality; 3-4 - OK; and 3-4 "learning curves."

Now... maybe 7-8 of 10 are of excellent quality (mind you, I take much longer and am much more careful). Still have my brain fa..s, where I make stupid mistakes, or issues with the blank, or the kit.

So, take your time, resist the temptation to sell too early and have mediocre products represent your name! Yes, you will see a nice progression in quality.

Have FUN!

campzeke

Mike, Like anything else, it is a learning process. I have been turning pens for almost a year now and still have a LOT to learn. I learn something new with each pen I make. When I look at a pen I made a year ago and compare that to one I just made, there is a world of difference. There is also room for improvement. Don't rush it. Be patient. If you see a flaw in your work, try to figure out what happened and how to fix it next time. Chances are you will find at least 1 or more solutions to any problem you encounter right here on this site. Search the forums, search the library, ask questions but most of all, keep working at it.

Here is a suggestion ... The next time you order supplies, buy a couple packages of slimline tubes. Use them as practice tubes. You don't need to assemble a pen kit every time you turn a blank. Use cheap hardwood scraps as practice blanks. I have also simply drilled hardwood scraps with a 1/4" drill bit and mounted them on the mandrel without tubes just to practice turning. If you do that, be careful and don't turn them as thin as you would a blank with a tube glued inside. They can fly apart on you. Don't ask how I know that....

Keep turning, research, ask questions, and most of all .... post pictures.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I think it depends on how well you are able to adapt to the process. Learn from mistakes, eliminate un-necessary steps here and, add one there. Be critical about the fit and, finish. Choosing the right material to match the components. Repetition and, remembering how you completed each portion of the process will move you along. I have mastered NONE of these. :biggrin: But, there are those who have. This is just my opinion! :wink:

TonyL

For me, it was a matter of producing something that I was pleased with. And that "standard" changed as my skills improved and I observed the work of others. I am also aware of how much "effort" I want to invest and still enjoy the hobby.

JimB

It really depends on your definition of 'good'. I've been turning for 8 years but I've only made a little over 100 pens even though I started with pens when I first learned to turn. I make a lot of other stuff. I think my pens are good but in many ways they do not compare to what others make. I only use wood, I don't segment, I don't buy expensive kits and I don't make kitless. However, what I do make has very good fit and finish. I also don't want to spend the time and effort to learn all those other things so for what I want to do I am very happy with my skill level.

Dave Turner

For me it was an iterative process. I just critically looked at the pens I had made to see what about them I didn't like or needed improvement. Then I tried to correct those characteristics in my next pens. Every subsequent pen would get re-assessed and that evaluation would in-turn effect the creation of future pens. It just keeps repeating like this.

The fun part for me was in figuring out what I needed to do to eliminate a defect or produce an effect I was after. That's where the IAP shines. Oodles of good advise and a library full of proven techniques.

Dan Masshardt

Well there are techniques and methods which are often learned from others but also from discovery and trial / error.

But much of it comes through hours at the lathe.

I made pens that I was proud enough to sell a month or two in, but after time on the lathe, everything is faster, more efficient, less active concern every minute like something could go wrong.

Things still go wrong from time to time for sure. But when they do, experience helps me know what to do with it, not to freak out etc.

So time. Not necessarily years etc but time at the lathe. Someone turning full time will gain the same experience in a couple weeks as the person who turns a couple hours a week will in a year or more.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If you want to improve, besides the other advice offered here. Take good photos with close ups of where the blank meets the hardware and also as much of the pen as you can and post them in SOYP forum. Then ask for critiques. Your friends and family or neighbors will think they are wonderful just the way they are.. We will point out the flaws they dont see.

eharri446

If you want to find a cheap soured for some common exotic woods, go to one of the hardwood flooring stores and see if they have samples that you can get for free or for a small fee. Lumber Liquidators has free samples as does Builder Direct. If you have a Floor and DĂ©cor in your area you can get samples for $5.00 a piece and you get to select your sample from an open box that they use for samples. One note. Make sure that the wood that you select is at least 3/4 inch unless you are making slim line pens with straight sides.

Another source could be a local hardwood floor installer. They might be able to save the cutoffs for you that are 5 to 6 inches long.

My wife gave a flooring store that was going our of business $25.00 to deliver a pickup load of hardwood flooring samples. I had a stack of 3/4 inch sample boards that were mixed exotic and native woods. I just had to rip them on my table saw to 3/4 inch width and peel of the Masonite that they had glue to the back of the sample. The samples contained boards from 2 3/4 inch to 6 inch wide and were 12 to 14 inches wide overall to about 18 inches long.

Rockytime

My pens are OK. They will never be spectacular. I make a couple of pens every week or two. I'm 77 and still work about 20 hours a day in a clock repair shop. I have repaired clocks for about 40 years. I have lunch with buddies several times a week and those are usually long lunches. I spend at least an hour a day on IAP. When the days are nice I spend some time on my CanAm. Then I spend some time doodling with my metal lathes and other things. Not much time left. I'm as good as i'm gonna get.

mikeschn

Thanks for that tip. I turned a pen tonight, and posted it in the SOYP forum...

Mike...

If you want to improve, besides the other advice offered here. Take good photos with close ups of where the blank meets the hardware and also as much of the pen as you can and post them in SOYP forum. Then ask for critiques. Your friends and family or neighbors will think they are wonderful just the way they are.. We will point out the flaws they dont see.

gbpens

I have been making and selling pens for 16 years. Were my first pens sold good? I thought so at the time. Are my pens I am selling now good? Again I would say yes. However, I am still learning so maybe tomorows' pen will be better. It all depends on your definition of "good".

Joey-Nieves

For me I turn 8 hours min a day, I make any ware from 10 to 50 pens in a week, although between Thanksgiving and February I turned about 300. And with all that practice I'm still learning. I try to make a kitless pen every week and make a pen from the tutorials every time I can. I don't just follow the instructions I study the method used and try to improve or make my own adaptation. Turning can be very relaxing but it's not as easy as people may think. With practice, I've become proficient at Applying CA, Segmenting and visualizing patterns, but I still have a long way to go.

When I grow up I would like to make pens like Skip rat, Shawn or Mike

robutacion

I've only been turning pens since this January, mostly acrylics and polyesters... I look back at the pens I made a mere month ago, and I wouldn't even give them away, much less sell them. Are my pens next month going to be that much better than the pens I am making now?

Just curious how long you guys think it took you to get good enough to turn pens that you were proud to sell...

Mike...

G'day Mike,

I haven't read all the comments on this thread so, I apologise if I'm repeating something already said so, let me say that, to answer such question of yours, geezz mate, how long is a piece of string...???:wink:

I can tell you that, I saw people turning quality pens from day one, they have a natural talent and some understand of tools and materials used. With that said, I have also seem people that have been doing it for years and they were never that good at it so, there are many ways to answer such question and my first though would be, starting from acquiring as much info as possible from places like IAP where, you find some of the best turners and pen makers, anywhere.

Learning fast and well depends upon what you "capture" as info and how talented you are. We all learn something new every day, there is no such thing as , "know it all" so, and keeping that in mind, learn from the best and you will halfway there.

Equipment "can" be a determining factor but, not always, look at the equipment most of the old timers, particularly in Japan used and still use today and look at the quality of what they produce.

Most of the time lost in becoming good at something is on the time wasted making mistakes if you want to go solo, self teaching is great and rewarding however, there is a price to pay that, many people are not prepared for.

So, did I answer your question..???

You tell me...!

Good luck.

Cheers
George

jttheclockman

Mike...

Everyone learns at different speeds and levels. How well you are working with tools will help determine that. Can you think on your feet is a factor and by that can you recognize problems or flaws without it being pointed out to you every time. Plus a lot is determine by your amount of time and effort put into something. If you are all about speed and not quality than your standards are different than someone elses. I think we all can always learn no matter what stage or age you are at. Practice makes perfect. I know when I was working in the trades as an electrician I always said I was a practicing electrician just like a doctor. :)

Steve Lowe

I think you just got a plethera of answer to your question and all make a lot of sence and there is a lot of wisdom in all the responces. For me to get good is your own desire to acheive results and not for any monitury value but for your own satisfaction and pride. We have a saying here in Oz Near enough is not good enough I try to live by that so if you really want to get good put the work in learn from as many people ( your in the right company here) as posible and have the desire and you will get there.

JohnU

I look at it like this... first you build a good foundation learning the basic turning, sanding, and finishing techniques. Then you focus on challenging yourself, trying new ideas and fine tuning them. For me, I spend more time creating blanks than pens. When I get something I like, I turn it. Every time I come here I see new ideas or learn something. I admire lots of artists and their work here. Their work challenges me to give it a try. As long as that continues I can enjoy the craft and keep it fun. Find what you like and expand on it. I look forward to seeing your work!

Last edited:

rudya7

Having access to a site like IAP will greatly reduce your learning curve. Spend some time in the library, there is a wealth of knowledge on techniques, tools, materials and all the fun stuff that people have come up with. I had been turning pens for almost 20 years before stumbling on IAP. I thought I had figured out everything there was to know about pen turning until I found out about the really fun stuff like mixing you own polyurethane and polyester resins.

Joey-Nieves

The next pen you make will be better than the one before, that is what learning is all about. How long will it take to be a master? How long you got?

Joey
Awesome pen turner extraordinaire-only in my mind

Top Bottom