How to incorporate a logo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scooley01

I was approached today by a potential customer who is affiliated with a motorcycle club that wants me to make pens for a charity auction. She gave me a medallion from this year's charity ball and it has their logo on it, and she initially asked if I could incorporate their logo into the pen, but later in our conversation she said I could also incorporate it into the box and that would be just as good.

I feel like putting the logo on the box is an easy way out, because it's just a matter of shipping it off to an engraver...but the logo on the medallion is way too big to wrap on a pen, not to mention the fact that I've never done a logo in a pen before.

Any suggestions? I've attached a picture of the medallion in case anyone is struck by an idea for something I can try...

Attachments

• IMAG0210.jpg
    IMAG0210.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 170
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

I agree with the decal plan. You can have decals made, possibly by fellow IAP members. The decal should be fine after you get the first coat of thin CA on it. The rest should be business as usual. I just did one with a cheap ass sticker to see if the sticker could take the CA. It did.

Scooley01

I'm worried that the logo/decal wouldn't fit on a normal pen, though. Just for size comparison, the center circle of that medallion is the size of a quarter...and if you shrink it, I'm worried you won't be able to make out the details of the logo at all.

I've not yet done a CA finish, although I have everything I need (Accelerator and thin CA just arrived today!).

I'm considering maybe doing the full logo on the box, engraved and maybe burned in, and then just the club's name engraved on the pen...

Drstrangefart

Yeah, when filling orders, stick to what you're okay with. With thin CA, no accellerator is needed in my experience. Just wait 45 seconds and it's set enough for another coat. That's how I do it. After 3 or 4 coats of thin, I use accelerator for the coats of medium CA after the thin. You may see if the logo's on computer somewhere so you can shrink it and see how much detail's lost.

Andrew Arndts

ask this customer if they have a JPG of their logo. it makes it a lot nicer for a decal.

Scooley01

I scoured their website and came up with a couple images of the logo...of course, if I were to have this engraved, I would need a vector version of it, right? Or at the very least, a b/w line drawing? Or do most engravers convert plain images themselves?

Attachments

• dod015001.jpg
    dod015001.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 93
  • dod016003.jpg
    dod016003.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 97

dexter0606

I wouldn't worry too much about the size. Get a jpg, gif or tif image of the logo and start from there. I usually use Photoshop (or Paint works too I think) to sharpen up the image. Play around with different sizes.
A "quarter" sized image may not be too bad on a Sierra. The circumference of a Sierra is approx 1-5/8".
I usually print different sizes on paper and then wrap the paper around a pen barrel to check.

Snnej

Here's is what I did for some co-workers. The pen is a Wallstreet II from Woodcraft. From the look of your logo you could do the same very easily. Use wetslide paper with a CA glue finish.

Attachments

• logopenHB.JPG
    logopenHB.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 113

woodgraver

Laser Engraving .jpg files

I have a laser engraver and have found good quality jpg files can be engraved and look just as good as vector drawings. Most engravers use programs like Corel Draw that can pretty easily convert jpgs to vector. I just converted one of your files and can email it to you. woodgravers@gmail.com

Last edited:

G1Pens

Most M/C's are very particular about their patch. Once you come up with a plan, I would run it by your contact before you do anything. Let him approve the design to insure that it complies with their desires.

Scooley01

Well it's not really their desires. It's a weird thing...I may have to meet with her again to flesh out details, I wasn't expecting to be taking an order last night I was out to eat with friends and this lady knows my mom somehow and has seen the pens I've made.

Anyways, she wants me to make a pen for her boyfriend (Who is a member of the club) in ebony. I'm unclear whether she wanted the logo on it or not. Then, she'd like me to make several (The ones I mentioned originally) with the logo on the pen or the pen box, for a charity ball auction. She said something about me making them, and the auction buying them from me at whatever cost I give, then auctioning them for ideally more than that. I've never done anything with an auction that wasn't totally donation, so I'm not sure I understood the way it works properly.

Anyways, would you still think I'd need to run it by the club? I'm thinking of emailing them anyways to see if I can get a better image of the logo, I know they have to have one because there's no way this medallion was made from either of the two jpegs I found!

G1Pens

I don't know the specifics of that M/C. They have a web site and it has limited information available to the public, as most do. The only advice I can give is to err on the side of caution.

If it were me, I would not make a pen with their patch on it without permission from a male member. Technically the women are not members. The women have their own organization called Deaconess of Deadwood M/C with their own patch.

aggromere

If you can pull an image from their web site you can play with the size by reducing it slightly, or putting a slight bulge in the pen to take a larger one and make it into a decal.

It's when I see logos like the one you showed at first, makes me wish I knew how to do jewelry or make stuff out of metal. It would make a cool finial to a pen, but I think that is way advanced stuffed.

Top Bottom