How I use my lathe - or - A redneck's wood shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

Okay - I'm a redneck and I'm cheap and I ain't got much space in my barn. Some folks would call it a storage shed. Let's not quibble on the small stuff. Here's some of how I make the most of what I got

Drill press? We don't need no stinkin' drill press!
DSCN0072.jpg

And I ain't got no fancy Beal Colletts and Chuck so I'm using my handy-dandy jacobs chuck. Works right nice for mandrels that vary from the size of my plain ol' $10 MT2 mandrel
DSCN0076.jpg

And I ain't got no bushings for these Pelikans 'cuz, well, they don't make no such thang. So I made my own from Corian. And since these pens are old and crumbly (kinda like myself) I made an extra long bushing to support the inside of the pen body.
DSCN0075.jpg

Where I'm from we use EVERY part of the hog! That trains us that ain't nuthin trash. Even that busted pen barrel - that ain't trash that's a spacer!
DSCN0085.jpg

I'll also sometimes turn my lathe into a pen press - that works great when I can't find my handy can crusher. I use this thang when putting pens together in front of the TV. I ain't got it mounted on the wall, though. That would interfere with multitasking.
cancru_lg.jpg

And them mandrels? Them's from Harbor Freight.Those good folks think these things are "Transfer punches." I ain't disagreein' but to me they're a ready made cheap set of multi-sized mandrels.
03577.gif

So that's some of how I work. How 'bout your own selves?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

How do you tell your in a rednecks shop ??????

Their drill bit runs sideways and there is enough aluminum cans inside to build a 747 [:D]
At least we agree on one thing, you can't beat HF pen madrels [:)]

Skye

I feel like we must be related. My shop is just about as low budget as yours!

Here's my first workbench:

61.jpg

Then I moved to my shed. Here's the shop, back when it was clean:

show001.jpg

Before I bought a 4 jaw chuck:

IMG_3490.jpg

Occasionaly I get to work here though (half the shop shown):

p01.jpg

Do the best with what you've got, that's my motto! Glad to see there's still some of us who make do.

You'de be suprised, <b>some</b> people here think the quality of your work is in direct relation to the size of your shop.

TBone

Size of shop and price of tools is no way related to quality of product. And that works both ways. A skilled worker can make beautiful products with nothing but handtools. If you don't believe it, check out the pens made by Alzheimer's patients in the article mentioned in Woodcraft magazine (I think that's the mag.) Also a tool, no matter the price, will not make great products if you don't have some skill and knowledge. My current pen press is a woodworking clamp and my buffer is made from a paint roller. Good job
But I have to disagree on one thing. There are some parts of the hog that I WILL throw away. [:D]

Skye

Originally posted by TBone
<br />Size of shop and price of tools is no way related to quality of product. And that works both ways. A skilled worker can make beautiful products with nothing but handtools. If you don't believe it, check out the pens made by Alzheimer's patients in the article mentioned in Woodcraft magazine (I think that's the mag.) Also a tool, no matter the price, will not make great products if you don't have some skill and knowledge. My current pen press is a woodworking clamp and my buffer is made from a paint roller. Good job
But I have to disagree on one thing. There are some parts of the hog that I WILL throw away. [:D]

Veeeeeeery well said.

Paint roller? I havent thought of that one. I'm using a fuzzy bath towel and letting the lathe spin the pen. Seems to brighten up the TSW with light touches.

TBone

Originally posted by jtate
<br />
Drill press? We don't need no stinkin' drill press!
DSCN0072.jpg

Ok, I'm new to turning. I understand the Jacobs chuck, what's holding the right hand end of the blank? It looks like a live center. What keeps it from spinning?

jtate

Yep, I hold the blank against the tool rest with my left hand while I crank the handle in the tail stock which lets the live center push the blank forward along the tool rest and into the drill. If you just try to hold the blank by hand and push it forward without the stabilizing force of the tail stock live center, the blank will wobble on you.

That ain't good. You don't want your blank wobblin' on ya.

The jacobs chuck has to be shoved into the headstock firmly. If not sometimes it will pull out as you're moving the blank back off the drill bit to clean out the shavings or whatever.

(And, Loyd, I'm a she)

TBone

<br />Yep, I hold the blank against the tool rest with my left hand while I crank the handle in the tail stock which lets the live center push the blank forward along the tool rest and into the drill.

I see now, at first it looked as though the blank was clearing the tool rest. Was wondering why you didn't move it out of the way [:D]

Thanks

TBone

After dinner he told the host that dinner was excellent, she must have excellent pots and pans.

That's great, gonna have to remember that comment [:D]

Good equipment can still turn out lousy results. If you don't believe it, I'll show you some of my pens [:D]

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
yes the article is in the woodcraft magazine as well, just got done reading it myself, and what an incredibly inspiring way to get pens "done"....Thats all that counts....

esheffield

I'd be a bit nervous holding on to that blank to keep it against the tool rest. Makes my hand hurt thinking about how things could go wrong. I'm all for making do as much as possible, but that just doesn't look very safe to me. Just be careful.

chisel

<br />Yep, I hold the blank against the tool rest with my left hand while I crank the handle in the tail stock which lets the live center push the blank forward along the tool rest and into the drill. If you just try to hold the blank by hand and push it forward without the stabilizing force of the tail stock live center, the blank will wobble on you.

That ain't good. You don't want your blank wobblin' on ya.

The jacobs chuck has to be shoved into the headstock firmly. If not sometimes it will pull out as you're moving the blank back off the drill bit to clean out the shavings or whatever.

(And, Loyd, I'm a she)

That really does look kind of dangerous. You should look into a mini-chuck to hold it for you. Even the cheap ones from PSI would be fine for drilling blanks.

Be careful...

chisel

<br />Do you mean a chuck to hold the blank on the tail stock side or to hold the drill bit on the head stock side?

When I drill with my lathe, I stick my jacobs chuck in the tail stock (holding the drill bit), and the mini-chuck at the head (holding the blank). It really works great for accurate drilling.

redfishsc

A true redneck shop would have a Holly Carberatuer bumper sticker on the lathe and a rifle rack over it.

But all in all, looks pretty right-on to me!

I recently moved to North Carolina (from South Carolina, I guess I'm a yankee now?). Around here they don't call them "pens". It sounds more like "pee'ins". I guess that makes me a Pee'in turner. Now pardom me while I go see a man about a horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom