How I finish my pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jckossoy

Sorry I haven't been reading alot lately, been busy.

Anyhow, What I usually do to finish my pens is sand from 120 grit through 1000 or higher depending on how detailed the grain is that I want to show, then 000 and 0000 steel wool,2 to 6 coats of sanding sealer, tung oil or danish oil; EEE polish, 2 to 4 coats friction polish, and finish it out with renasance wax. By the time I do all this, I have a nice glass finish that really shines.

On occasion, I'll also use pumice and rotten stone mixed with linseed oil to bring out a really deep grain, but this usually takes an additional hour or so.

Let me know what you think, I'll also post some pictures of the pens I've done recently later on today when I get home.

Jeff.[8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I'm beginning to think I'm strange or maybe just lazy reading all the work you guys go through sanding and finishing your pens. I won't deny that your pens are beautiful and show the work you go through. It's just that I don't believe a wooden pen should look and feel like anything but wood. To me, the feel (or texture) of the wood is just as important as the appearance. I sand to at least 400 grit (more if I feel the pen warrants it) and then use two or three coats of a couple of different commercial finishes to give my pens a nice sheen and protect them from damage during use. Am I truly alone in this?

timdaleiden

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />I'm beginning to think I'm strange or maybe just lazy reading all the work you guys go through sanding and finishing your pens. I won't deny that your pens are beautiful and show the work you go through. It's just that I don't believe a wooden pen should look and feel like anything but wood. To me, the feel (or texture) of the wood is just as important as the appearance. I sand to at least 400 grit (more if I feel the pen warrants it) and then use two or three coats of a couple of different commercial finishes to give my pens a nice sheen and protect them from damage during use. Am I truly alone in this?

I think most of the people that are really interested in selling their pens, have found that potential customers are drawn to the smoothest and shiniest pens. Depending on the type of commercial finishes you are using, you may be getting pretty good results. Some woods will come out better than others. Padauk, for instance, has open grain and cannot be sanded down to a smooth surface, without some way of filling these open grains. A common method of filling open grain is using thin CA with some of the wood dust, and 400 grit paper (slurry method). This also hardens the outside of the wood, making it a bit more durable.

I think the main motivation for the super shiny, super smooth, durable finishes, is you can get a better price for them. They actually feel more expensive.

dw

I haven't been doing this for very long but I have manage to get pretty good results with CA and one of those plastic bags (used like a finger cot) that small pen parts come in.

I like the CA because you can see "into" the pen, so to speak. There's a "depth" that isn't duplicated by "natural" or satin finished. Any glossy finish will give you that to some extent. I think all customers are attracted to that aspect...they don't think about "feel" or whether the CA looks plastic to some eyes. They don't see the plastic, they see the the wood and it's that "depth" that makes that possible.

That said, I did a Euro Twist with Bill Baumbeck Buckeye Burl today and try as I might I couldn't get that glassy look. I sanded throgh MM 12000 and used Hut Plastic Polish and Ren wax but, while the finish was glossy it was nearer to satin than glassy and you couldn't look into the pen at all. I don't know what I did wrong. But the pen still looks real good.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by dw
<br />
That said, I did a Euro Twist with Bill Baumbeck Buckeye Burl today and try as I might I couldn't get that glassy look. I sanded throgh MM 12000 and used Hut Plastic Polish and Ren wax but, while the finish was glossy it was nearer to satin than glassy and you couldn't look into the pen at all. I don't know what I did wrong. But the pen still looks real good.

Rich, over at the Yahoo group, says that you still need to do a CA finish on stabilized wood.

Daniel

I still use a Ca sealing and anouther coat or two for a finish even on the stabalized woods. I find the micro mesh does a much better job when the wood has been prepaired this way. I havn't tried many of the other finishes. I have at one time tried a spray on lacquer but was not happy with it and it added considerable time to the pen. I have at times intentionally finished a pen with more of a wood look to it. I have sold them but they do nto really capture alot of attention like the well polished ones do. alot of people are fasinated that I can even get a piece of wood to polish like that.

jckossoy

I just uploaded some of the pens that I have done using the method that I described. They all bring out the depth of the grain. If I went to MM 12000, the grain alone would shine through trmendously.

dw

You inspired me to work through the problems uploading photos. I don't think the software likes a dash anywhere. Certainly not in the name but not on the description either. when I left the dashes out, everything uploaded fine.

Anywayhere's some recent stuff with and without the CA finish. It all ooks good to me but the Ca finish attracts the eye like a glint of silver attracts a crow. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom