How I clean out epoxy when I glue in my tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

I used to use CA, which dries in the tubes and files away easily with a bristled brush like for gun cleaning. When I switched to epoxy a while back, I noticed the brush just wouldn't cut it, that I had to use a round file to get the excess glue out of the tube. It works fine, but it's a lot of handwork and can be time consuming on a sloppy glue job. I've tried on the last 10-20 pens to get as much of the epoxy out as possible (like always), but before the epoxy completely sets up, I soak a q-tip with acetone and wipe the inside of the tube, getting all the epoxy out. When the epoxy dries, the tube is smooth and clean. The acetone evaporates immediately and hasn't caused any problems to my woods or acrylics. Does anyone else do this technique, or should I take all the credit for this idea?:wink::wink::wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I plug my tubes with playdough and do not have to worry about clean up. If by any chance abit gets in there a sharp knife and it is cleaned. I use epoxy all the time. I think you are working too hard.

shadow man

It is amazing what can be done with a Q-tip and solvent. Acetone probably works best but I have used laquer thinner for solvent simply because I have a lot of it. (use it for work). I will give credit for the first post like this that I am aware of. Good job This is what is cool about IAP not too many bashful people
George

leehljp

Member Liaison
I plug the end that I insert, so I don't get any in that end. The other end gets a little. I continue to use a wire brush and it usually takes 5 to 15 seconds to get out what glue is there.

cozee

I just keep a box of packing peanuts handy and twist one end of the tube into one thus plugging that end. Once the epoxy is set, it easily pushes out. If I do happen to get some epoxy in the tube, it is easily remove with a hobby knife. Uncured epoxy, if need be, can be removed with acetone and a Q-tip.

Now a small word of warning: Unless you are wearing rubber gloves and at the least a particulate mask, DO NOT USE LACQUER THINNER! As a bodyman by trade, I know how nasty the stuff is.

Leo

I only use two different tube sizes.
I bought a reamer for each size and hand ream
after the epoxy cures. The reamers were less than 5 bucks each.
Leo

jkeithrussell

I just let it dry in the tube, then cut it out with an exacto knife. I've found it takes less time than trying to keep it out of the tube or cleaning with a wire brush. All of it usually comes out in a lump in one twist. Still, running a gun cleaning wire brush through the tube is a good practice.

ribanett

I coat the inside of the tube with a little 3-in-1 oil on a q-tip. After the glue has set, I use a drill about 2/3 the ID in my protable drill to remove the plug. After drilling through the plug, I apply a little side pressure to the drill and the plug comes out must of the time. If it doesn't come out in one piece, a few in and out strokes with the drill usually finishes the job. I then clean the tube with acetone.

BruceA

Try a pin punch

I use White Gorilla Glue on woods, and epoxy on acrylics. I plug the inserted tube end with the dental wax available from Arizona Silhouette. I have a delrin insertion tool I made to insert the tube.

Once the glue dries, I cut the excess glue off the non-dental wax end using an exacto knife, and then use a pin punch to slide into the tube and pop out the end that has the dental wax.

Because the pin punch has a nice clean edge, it can be used in the tube to clean out any residual glue on either end of the tube by putting pressure on one side of the tube as you slide it past the end of the punch, almost like a scraper.

The 3/8" punch works great on Sierra tubes, and that alone is worth the $4.99 price for the set of 5 available at Harbor Freight. The other smaller sizes can be used on smaller tubes.

Attachments

• pin punch set.jpg
    pin punch set.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 85

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I feel really inadequate. I take a little care not to get glue in the tubes, then use a pocket knife if anything slips by me. Somehow I thought this was much ado about nothing. :confused:

Top Bottom