How I cast my Polyester Resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

At the request of several memebers, I have been asked to do an article on casting polyester Resin ( PR ). I have not done so, as I thought it would be a redundancy of the excellant article I learned from, which was the Jay Pickens artile he wrote. Well I suggest to anyone to read it. as it is everything you need to know to cast PR and make your own great looking pen blanks.

I am just going to add to it and show more photos of the process and the supplies you need.

What I will not do is give you specific reciepes. Part of the fun of casting your own PR blanks, is coming up with your OWN individual colors and patterns. What fun would it be, if we all made the same looking blanks. Lately more folks around here have been starting to cast their own, I noticed some shades may be simular, but everybody seems to be making their own unique colors, which is GREAT. Once you have the basic concept down, the results are endless.... Yes, some will be duds, but hey, we all manage to break pens while turning.
Remember, the Cornel (god rest his soul) never gave his secret 11 herbs & spices :D

1. Materials. www.artstuf.com is where I buy ALL my casting materials except for the molds. They are a one stop shop for QUALITY dies. I buy my molds at www.misterart.com I ussually use a 2x3x1 (4 oz) & 6x3x1 (9 oz)
You will want to buy the powder dyes, I feel they give a deeper richer color with less transperancy, also you want the luster pigments, especially the white luster pigment, as you can mix this in with all your colors to get that pearl look.
You need plastic cups, stir sticks, I buy the PR clear casting resin by the gallon and it comes with the hardener, about $33.00

So you can cast your PR blanks with as little as this

200542934058_DSC00463.jpg

or as much as this

200542934144_DSC00467.jpg

All my casting material is on a cart, as the odor (which I'm sure is not real good for your health) is a bit much. So I wheel my cart outside and do my casting there. Being in Arizona I am almost gauranteed a nice day :)

Here are some bronzing powders, they work good for other stuff, but not real good in mixing with PR. But maybe you can find the right combo, about $4.00 per bottle

200542934512_DSC00471.jpg

Here are what the small bottles of powder & luster powder dyes look like. The big jug is the White pearl, that gets used allot.
Powder pigments are about $4.00-7.00 per bottle & luster $6.00-20.00
They will last you a long time!
The liquid PR resin dyes are 2.00 a bottle

200542934635_DSC00477.jpg

2. First I pour water into whatever mold I am going to use,then I pour the water into a messuring cup to see how many OZ of PR I am mixing, then pour into my mixing cup and mark a line. This gives you the right amount of PR to pour into your cup. I allways pour in a touch more. Whatever leftover I have I pour into a piece of PVC and use that for center bands of something.

Next, stir in your hardener, I use 7 drops for every 1 OZ of PR.

200542935130_DSC00481.jpg

After I mix it up for about two minutes I then add my powder dyes. This happens to be a 4 OZ mold 2x3x1 so I am adding 2 scoops of dye. One would work, but I want a real non transparent color. I stir this up for another couple minutes, then pour into the mold.
You can also add your white luster powder die at this time into the cup and stir if you want the white pearl look or any other color combo you want,then pour into the mold.

20054293559_DSC00482.jpg

200542935540_DSC00484.jpg

Now depending on the humidity and tempature, setting up can vary from 15-35 minutes, I stir mine occassionally to check the stiffness every 5 minutes waiting for that right time before it gels.

200542935754_DSC00489.jpg

Now it has come to the gel stage, I am going to add some pearl drops and then gently stir, remember it has almost gelled, I am hoping to get some pearl highlights in this dark purple cast. This is the final stir and then that's it. It will fully harden in 4-8 hours. I ussually wait 24 hours before drilling and turning.

20054294129_DSC00501.jpg

20054294154_DSC00503.jpg

Here are some sample molds...I cut them on a band saw to the size blank I want. Also, the round casts are some of the left overs from my mixes. I pour them into PVC, you do not need a release agent as the PR will shrink when drying and just pop out of the mold.

20054294432_DSC00468.jpg

Also, if you cast into a round clyinder mold, I have noticed it takes allot longer to set up and dry. Any time I pour into a PVC pipe mold, I don't even bother to look at it for at least a day or two.

Hear are some clear PR castings with snake skins

2005429474_DSC00494.jpg

Well that's about it. All I can add is, it's fun and when you get good at it, it is allot cheaper than buying commercial produced resins. Also PR castings tend to turn easier as they are a touch softer.

A finished product, Purple Passion from Cave Creek Casting....

200542952538_DSC00343.jpg

Now go get your gas masks....and have some FUN :D

its_virgil

Anthony,
A very nice addendum to Jay's article. And thanks for the pictures. I know how much time you spent on the followup, because I know how much time the casting and picture taking, editing, and captioning takes. Thanks for doing this. It really is easy, isn't it.

I cast some snake skin blanks (for 6 pens) this week and I am sad to say that it was a total disaster. Not the casting itself, but the results. I think my skins have been cured with some chemicals that react with the PR. They all came out dark or black and the scaled released from a few spots and the skins look horrible. My skins are cured by and ex-student who busy and sells snakes to labs and herpitariums. I think I will get some skins that have been cured professionally and see how they work. The skins I cured with salt, DNA and glycerin did better than these have done. Enough of my whining....thanks again for adding to the PR knowledge base. You did a fine job telling and showing the process.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

PenWorks

Thanks, I am cleaning the goop off my camera as we speak. [:D]

Don, When I cast my other skins I bought elsewhere, I had that same problem. As soon as the PR hit the skins they turned dark brown. I think your right. It has to do with the tanning process that the hides were treated with. Your tanning process you did is all that should be done to prepare the skin. Anything else is trouble.

JimGo

Anthony, that is a BIG help. The two lessons I learned in my attempts at casting you've hit on here:
1) seven drops of catalyst per ounce - I didn't use enough last time, out of fear based on some of the other comments I read in various posts. Tonight's casting came out GREAT, and I think it's in large part due to the proper catalyst usage.
2) hold off adding the pearl 'till it starts to gel - I added it early on (before the catalyst) and it mixed through the acrylic. Not a bad result, but not the swirls I wanted. I also don't think I used enough catalyst on the colored ones you'll see next week (gotta still turn 'em), but we'll see; the set-up time for them was at least three hours, which is what leads me to this conclusion.

Any way, thanks for the info and all the effort!

PenWorks

Jim, tempature & humidity have allot to do with the set up & dry time. I cast one time after it rained and it seam to take forever to set up. When I cast outside on a nice warm day, I have to keep my molds in the shade as I am afraid they are setting up to fast. After I mix the catylist in and have that stired up, I mix in both the powder dye & the white pearl dye, this example is the first time I use the pearl drops, so I waited till the end. I think if you do the little tooth pick stir right before it gels, you will get the swirls you want. Also, it's what on the inside that counts, some cast I thought would be kind of bland, after turning came out really nice. So you never know.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
A Cast Party... I didn't know Jim was in show business... are there going to be pretty actresses there??? [}:)][:p][}:)]

OH you meant a blank casting party... well I guess that can be fun too [V][V] ...

woodguy1975

I've got a question.

Why use the casting molds? Since PR doesn't stick to food grade plastic (I read that somewhere) why not just use those disposable plastic containers that you can buy in the grocery store?

I just ordered a bunch of PR and colorants and was wondering about the need for the molds over something else.

Thanks,

John

JimGo

John,
I used the cheapest disposable "Gladware-type" plastic containers I could find. After the resins set, I was able to easily pop everything out of the container. The down sides that I see are that there's typically an indentation at the bottom, and the sides are rounded, which results in some wasted resin and also can make bandsawing a bit troublesome (stupid things kept wobbling against my "guide"). If you're OK with that, then it shouldn't be a big deal.

Michael, a casting party sounds like fun! Just gotta wait for my gallon to come in from ArtStuf.com!

melogic

Ron,
I would like a PDF copy if you don't mind? Maybe if Anthony is ok with it, this PDF file can be added to our articles on the home page?

woodguy1975

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the info. I'm not too concerned about bandsawing. I can always take the blank to the beltsander to get a flat surface before I cut the blanks out for safety.

John

wayneis

What I want to know is how do they get the swirly lines in some of the acrylics that are sold by the Companies? Thats what I would like to try. I might just have to break down and give this casting stuff a try.

Wayne

PenWorks

Ron, thanks for putting that in PDF, you can send me a copy. I believe Scott is going to work on it and put in in a PDF and into the article section.

John, your right, any type of poly made container will work for a mold and pop out. If you find a size that works, that's great. The mold from misterart are about $2-3.00

I also flat side them on the belt sander before taking to the bandsaw.

Thanks for the comments, it was one of those things I had just put off, Gemini's are like that. [:D]

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Ron, any chance you might send me a copy of that PDF..?

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Thanks Anthony!

I created a PDF of this Anthony, if you would like me to send it to you, just let me know and it will be on it's way.

its_virgil

Me too Wayne. I've tried a few experiments and they all failed. I would really like to conquer this delima. Maybe someone will find the secret and share it with us. I will continue to try so solve this mystery.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by wayneis
<br />What I want to know is how do they get the swirly lines in some of the acrylics that are sold by the Companies? Thats what I would like to try. I might just have to break down and give this casting stuff a try.

Wayne

PenWorks

Well, I am not holding out on that one......[:p] I have not put allot of effort into
duplicating that design. But if you look at the sample blanks in the back left corner,
you will see a 3 part pour. I managed to get a perfectly straight seperation in colors.
It is dark purple with a light purple center. I let each part set up before the next pour.

btboone

Great stuff Anthony. Something worth mentioning to people trying it; avoid using styrene for the cups or molds, as the polyester eats it. Polypropylene works better.

Great job Anthony!
If I could add just a lil something bout molds. Andrew and I tried our hand at casting last Sunday. For a mold I turned down a cheap oak blank I had here until it was just round...wrapped heavy duty foil around it and pulled the round blank out. These made neat individual molds, already round and without a lot of waste of material since there are no corners to round off.Plus no bandsawing ! I know I'm probably not the first to come up with this, but thought I'd remind everyone

akh223

Forgive me if this is a newbie question, as it will be my first post :)

On average how many pen blanks will you get per gallon? I know it will vary depending on size, waste, etc. Just looking for a ballpark, would you say a pen is 1 oz. of resin, 2 oz., etc?

Im just getting started in all this turning, but man you guys make some really cool stuff.

Andy

PenWorks

Andy, first of all, welcome to IAP. now that the formalities are over.....[:D]

Don't hold me to it, I think there is 128 oz to a gallon, (my first guess was wrong) worst case senerio using the 3x6x1 mold which will produce 3 large blanks and it is a 9 oz mold. you would get 42 blanks. So my guess would be between 40-65 blanks depending on what pens you make and how thick you cast them, 100-125 slim line pens is not unthinkable from a gallon of resin.

I think when all is said and done, average cost per blank is about a buck figuring the larger size blanks, with your dye cost.

Edited because I'm not to bright [:eek:)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Edited for accuracy after I just re-measured.I've made individual molds, 3/4" square by 6". Each takes 1.9 ounces. With 128 ounces (sorry, Anthony [:p]) to a gallon, you come out with about 64 blanks...plus or minus your pouring errors. Same results as Anthony's! [:D]

Scott

You guys kill me! [:D]

I think this article deserves to be in the article section here at Penturners.org! Since I'm not official or anything anymore, that's just a suggestion, but I'd be glad to work on it! So, if Anthony doesn't mind me editing it a bit, I'll get right on it!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom