How to hold pen tips straight when assembling?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

okay, so I've been using a vise to assemble my pens... As long as I keep my parts straight I can assemble without breaking the blank.

So last weekend I picked up the 1 ton arbor press from H.F. The first few Classic pens (10mm tube) went together just fine. But assembling the comfort pens (7mm tube), I broke 2 of them because I couldn't get the tips to go in straight.

Other than opening up the brass tube a little bit more, any suggestions for holding those tips straight? Jigs? Fixtures? Something else?

Mike...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

That is some serious fire power to put components together. I would not use something like that but if you are going to I am sure you have read it many times here, make sure the tubes are cleaned and it is a good idea to file them so that the parts slide together more easily. I also taper the ends of the tubes with a reamer. Just have to watch as you press them in. No scientific method. Your eye can see problems very easily. Have the press at eye level.

MTViper

An arbor press seems a little like going squirrel hunting with a howitzer, but that's just me.

A pen press, like this one from PSI: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PENPRESS5.html is my choice for assembling pens. Other vendors also offer them at a comparable price. The nylon end on the fixed assembly has a cone shaped divot out of the face where you can put pen tips so they won't get scratched or crushed. Helps keep things straight and makes it easy to make minor adjustments once you get used to the feel of it.

Second choice would be turning some guides and using the lathe or the drill press to assemble them. Last choice would be a bar clamp.

Steve

qquake

I use my drill press (with it turned off, of course). It's easy to control, and doesn't have too much force. I have some soft plastic press blocks I made (UHMW and Delrin), but you could probably use hardwood. I've been assembling pens this way for over 15 years, and it hasn't let me down.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 207
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 201

PenPal

okay, so I've been using a vise to assemble my pens... As long as I keep my parts straight I can assemble without breaking the blank.

So last weekend I picked up the 1 ton arbor press from H.F. The first few Classic pens (10mm tube) went together just fine. But assembling the comfort pens (7mm tube), I broke 2 of them because I couldn't get the tips to go in straight.

Other than opening up the brass tube a little bit more, any suggestions for holding those tips straight? Jigs? Fixtures? Something else?

Mike...

I use a similar press two things I always do is I clean out the brass with a step drill that is a close fit then using a tapered reamer i ream the lip of the brass and in a touch which gives me a slight lead in with the tip. First press gentle then turn the piece realign if necessary .

Also when I scratch the brass I use a close fit holder if the brass is too tight I chuck it another source of splits when assembling.

Peter. PS I love my bearing press I mounted it adjacent to the lathe and at eye height for me seated I sit turning on a draughtsmans swivel seat I might have a pic if so I will add it.

Peter.

PenPal

My Pen press and for longer pens on the bench behind me the other one.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0013.jpg
    DSCF0013.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 253
  • Shop6 640x481.JPG
    Shop6 640x481.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 522
  • VL100 Sit Down Bench 640x481.JPG
    VL100 Sit Down Bench 640x481.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 211

mikeschn

Yep, that's the one that I am using. But I have the handle locked in the middle position, rather than at the end the way you have it shown. There's actually not that much force on the pen parts. It seemed like the vise exerted more force.

Where can I find the right sized reamer for the 7mm tube?

Maybe it's time to turn a delrin part... does anyone have a close up picture of the delrin part that comes with the PSI pen press? I'm interested in seeing the cone shaped divot. I'd also like to see the parts that qquake made... :)

Thanks,

Mike...

Last edited by a moderator:

randyrls

Mike; You can find a chamfering tool here, or check with your local gun shop. They are used by reloaders.
Chamfering Tool: Arizona Silhouette

Some chamfering tools are double ended. On end has the reamer, the other end has a burr remover (looks like arrow feathers) for trimming the ends of home cut tubes.

Maybe it's time to turn a delrin part... does anyone have a close up picture of the delrin part that comes with the PSI pen press?

It really doesn't need to be exact. A tapered drill bit like those used to drill pilot holes in wood for screws would work well.

One tip, (pun intended!) press the parts with the tip facing up.

magpens

Thanks,

Mike...
Mike, I find it very useful to own a set of adjustable reamers. You can buy them at Grizzly, Harbor Freight, and other places. Here is a pic.

jmbaker79

I assemble on the lathe between centers. I typically start components by hand and then place them between 60 degree centers and assemble by advancing the tail stock a little at a time. They tend to straighten up easily and I have a lot of control on how far a component goes in to avoid breaking from too much pressure. Just my $.02

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I have my pen vise vertical as well. I use my thumb and index finger to hold them straight and I use my right hand to work the press. So far i've made about 1000 + pens with no issue!!

PenPal

Yep, that's the one that I am using. But I have the handle locked in the middle position, rather than at the end the way you have it shown. There's actually not that much force on the pen parts. It seemed like the vise exerted more force.

Maybe it's time to turn a delrin part... does anyone have a close up picture of the delrin part that comes with the PSI pen press? I'm interested in seeing the cone shaped divot. I'd also like to see the parts that qquake made... :)

Thanks,

Mike...

Pics of my Step Drill a snug fit cleans the inside brass champhers the entry, a stubby gun brass reamer (inside and outside) the long tapered cheap taper reamer all useful for 7mm. You cannot buy the step drill mores the pity.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0020-001.jpg
    DSCF0020-001.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF0021-001.JPG
    DSCF0021-001.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF0034.JPG
    DSCF0034.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0052.JPG