How high should my lathe be?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

randall844

I wanted to make a nifty portable base for my mini lathe from a plan I found in Wood Magazine, Dec. 1997. Problem is, it'll raise the lathe up about 4" and with the lathe sitting on my table saw (the only almost clear horizontal surface in my garage) the mandrel center line is already 47" above the floor. I'm thinking it's already a tad high. Another 4" puts the center of the mandrel 51" above the floor. Seems like it should be somewhere around elbow height. What does anybody else think? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Randall, did you find that plan online, or did you find a back-issue of the magazine? If its online, would you be kind enough to post a link?

G

Put the lathe on a separate base low enough that you can sit while turning pens,Your feet won't hurt.
Put knock down legs on the portable base.

jkirkb94

Good point Eagle. BTW, Randall, I found a real nice stool at Target that has a fairly wide base to the legs and a vinyl seat that makes turning a lot easier.[:)] Kirk[8D]

Daniel

GEE nobody ever told me I wasn't supposed to set. semed like the logical position for my lazy B**T.
actually as to the height of the lathe. there is actually a lenghty geometric calculation for determining this. but generaly it boils down to... the blank should be very close to the same heigth as the tip of your turning tool. sure hope that straightens it all out for you [:)]

O.K...all joking aside. I have not actually ever heard of a standard lathe height. I know I like mine so that I am not shrugging my shoulders to get that last 1/2 inch needed to get tool and wood to meet properly. and just setting here seeing what feels normal I would say elbow height. setting or standing. get it to high and you are asking for major neck cramps from the shrugging.

randall844

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Randall, did you find that plan online, or did you find a back-issue of the magazine? If its online, would you be kind enough to post a link?
Sorry, it's in a back issue; actually for me that represents a fairly recent one. I think I've got some going back to the mid and early 80's. I'll try to scan it and post somewhere here as an image file, if I can figure out the @*#%$ thing.

jwoodwright

Personal Preference, what feels natural. Elbow height is a starting point. [8D]

As to sitting, Never thought of it, was taught to use your body to control the tools, shifting weight and stance... Changing angle of attack...[:I]

opfoto

I have the mandrel on my mini set at approximately elbow height. I do stand when turning. But I don't use my body for tool control. I figure that body sway is more useful for the larger turnings. But I only turn a single pen at a time. So this is what works for me, your mileage may differ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom