How high should lathe be ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

OK I now own a wood lathe and 8 tools which I spent about an hour sharpening, my skew cuts paper with a very clean edge and I believe it's sharp enough to shave with.
Now I was wondering what is a good height for the lathe spindle, I was considering for safety reasons having the turning line (the center of the spindle/tailstock) at about the level of my elbows when standing, or should it be a bit higher up? perhaps around mid chest height?
I assume I need to keep as much leverage on the tool handles as possible to maintain control.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

I like the spindle height to be about an inch higher than my elbow when my arm is at my side. This makes it about even with my elbow when turning a pen.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I believe "conventional wisdom" is about 4" higher than the level of your elbows when you stand comfortably.

I turn MUCH higher than that, since my vision is not that great and my arms and hands are still pretty strong (No fatique problems).

The RIGHT answer is "Where you are comfortable". Remember, once you "strike this pose", you are going to spend HOURS in it. So comfort wins!!!

Set it up, turn for a while, then if your body says MOVE the lathe up or down, TRY it. WHEN you find YOUR sweet spot, that's the right height (for you)!!:D:D:D

bitshird

Thanks guys, as soon as I find the floor in my shop and get things arranged I'm gonna try it out, I have an old jewelers bench that puts it just above mid chest or about 3 or 4 inches above my elbows, fortunately it has legs which will be easy to shorten, Pray for me :D cause I'm going in unarmed and I have no idea what all is in that corner, [:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

Chasper

I made the table that my lathe sits on, but before I did that I measured the height of the stand that Jet sells, then made mine the same height. After a couple hours of turning my neck hurts, and I think it is because I'm looking down so much at the lathe. I'm thinking of putting blocks under the legs and trying it out higher. Also bifocals play a role. With bifocals, to see the item I'm turning as well as possible I need to look through the bottom of my glasses. I have a pair of glasses that are made for viewing the computer monitor; they have the bottom bifocal perscription all the way from top to bottom. With these on I don't have to look up so I am viewing through the bottom of my glasses to read the monitor. They work pretty good for pen turning as well.

sbell111

I actually use the Jet stand. It can be set at two or three different heights, as I recall. Ours is the shortest option because so are we.

Chasper

I actually use the Jet stand. It can be set at two or three different heights, as I recall. Ours is the shortest option because so are we.

That stand was adjustable? I don't believe I remember noticing that. I wonder what height it was adjusted to when I measured it?

bdyzr

hi, i'm new to your forum, been turning pens for about a year. i need to sit down while turning and am comfortible with it. i want to turn bowls and spindles but am worried about the sitting down thing when more body strength is needed. anyone do this sitting also, who could have some comments,
thanx,,,, bud

redfishsc

Welcome Bud!

Bitshird, what is hilarious is that I just came here to ask the EXACT same question. I had my lathe sitting at the suggested 3-4 inches above the elbow but I just "moved shop" to make room for our newest addition to our family coming around November. The cabinet I set the lathe on is about chest high for me.

At a glance it looks like it won't be comfortable and I may have to remove the casters, but then again, I may love it. I'll find out tonight, got 4 pens to make!

keithkarl2007

I got some advice somewhere for this before. I was told if you put your right hand on your left shoulder the distance from your elbow to the ground should be centre of the lathe.

polarbear1

I attended a wood turning class taught by Stewart Batty, one of the most sought after wood turning teachers, he says the center should be level with your elbow that is where mine is.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I have the jet stand set at the max height and it still wasn't comfortable for me so I raised it another 4" and like it much better. That put it at my elbow height.

bitshird

After a day of eating chips, I have to agree for me, it's got to be at elbow height, How long does it take to learn to use one of these things [:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)] actually made some round sticks today, not quite even diameter but they are round, now I have to make dome bushings, Oh Boy well I guess I could pull the chuck off my Jet and use a mandrel to turn a pen with :(:(

sbell111

Originally posted by dalemcginnis

I have the jet stand set at the max height and it still wasn't comfortable for me so I raised it another 4" and like it much better. That put it at my elbow height.
Dude, your elbows are in the wrong place.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by sbell111

Originally posted by dalemcginnis

Dude, your elbows are in the wrong place.

Not if your 6'2":D

bitshird

The problem for all jet machines they were made for short little Oriental folk, except for their large 13 in and larger metal lathes which are pretty normal in height, for some reason though their milling machines were copied from Lagun mills which require operators to either get a ladder or be over 6'6" to make a tool change.[:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by bitshird

After a day of eating chips, I have to agree for me, it's got to be at elbow height, How long does it take to learn to use one of these things [:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)] actually made some round sticks today, not quite even diameter but they are round, now I have to make dome bushings, Oh Boy well I guess I could pull the chuck off my Jet and use a mandrel to turn a pen with :(:(

Ken,

As you become more familiar with the tools, you will be able to throw the chips pretty much WHEREVER you want. THEN you learn to put your face somewhere ELSE!!![:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

marcruby

Penturning seems differnet than regular work. My Jet 1642 (and my 1220 for that matter) is high on me and I am neither Asian or short. Bowl and spindle work is easiest at just above belly button height so that the arm is about a right angle. You move the body, not the arm, most of the time. Penturners like to lean into the work to see what they are doing.

Marc

Originally posted by bitshird

The problem for all jet machines they were made for short little Oriental folk, except for their large 13 in and larger metal lathes which are pretty normal in height, for some reason though their milling machines were copied from Lagun mills which require operators to either get a ladder or be over 6'6" to make a tool change.[:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

redfishsc

Right now I'm turning with the lathe way too high-- a little over halfway between my shoulder and ellybone--- because of the table I'm using, but I am learning that there is a distinct advantage to this: it lets me see the work a good bit closer to me.

Disadvantage: wood shavings in your face, eyes, and mouth (do NOT yawn!)---- and a bit of a sore back. I'll be lowering it very soon.

nava1uni

My lathe is on a stand that I bought from Woodcraft. It is a great stand and can be adjusted for about 6 different heights You can find it on their website, very solid and moves well. I put it on caster since I have limited space and everything gets moved around to be used.

Originally posted by ed4copies

I believe "conventional wisdom" is about 4" higher than the level of your elbows when you stand comfortably.

I turn MUCH higher than that, since my vision is not that great and my arms and hands are still pretty strong (No fatique problems).

The RIGHT answer is "Where you are comfortable". Remember, once you "strike this pose", you are going to spend HOURS in it. So comfort wins!!!

Set it up, turn for a while, then if your body says MOVE the lathe up or down, TRY it. WHEN you find YOUR sweet spot, that's the right height (for you)!!:D:D:D
Second Ed's reply... go for comfort and don't worry about the "norm".. </u>I operate at about elbow height, measures at just about 47 inches from the floor...I'm relatively tall at 6'1" and like to work standing streight up...I've even raised my work bench about 6 inches so I can stand there with no bending, and while I still have fair to okay vision, I do think my arms are getting shorter.. one of these days I'm going have to get over my vanity and get spectacles before I make a spectacle of myself.

Top Bottom