How to glue a Gatsby?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

I built a Gatsby for the wife a few weeks ago. She gave it back to me complaining... It pops apart at the bottom and it pops apart at the top.

So the question is, should the bottom or the top be locktited?

Which part comes apart for a new refill?

Thanks,

Mike...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I built a Gatsby for the wife a few weeks ago. She gave it back to me complaining... It pops apart at the bottom and it pops apart at the top.

Thanks,

Mike...
Both press fit pieces can be glued. You unscrew the bottom to replace the refill.

mikeschn

Thanks,

Mike...
Both press fit pieces can be glued. You unscrew the bottom to replace the refill.

Aha thanks. Can you tell I've only ever made 1 Gatsby? :rolleyes:

Mike...

I've made a bunch of these and never had this issue. Check out the Sierra, looks the same but you won't have those issues.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I've made a bunch of these and never had this issue. Check out the Sierra, looks the same but you won't have those issues.
You can't say that unless you know where the Sierra's are coming from. There are a lot of "sierra" kits out there that don't come from Berea Hardwoods. And they have their own issues.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Gatsby vs Sierra

The major difference between Gatsby and Sierra is that the Gatsby is a finial twist pen and the Sierra is a barrel twist. While they look the same the internals are very different. The Gatsby is sensitive to tube length and the Sierra is not - the Sierra is more susceptible to the bottom end coming unscrewed accidentally. Both will feel and write about the same.

Top Bottom