How to get low prices on kits and blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pds0006

I have noticed people here are getting kits and blanks for very low prices like $2 for kits or blanks. I was wondering where they shop for these and if they have to buy hundreds to get those prices. Any info would be great because I love the hobby, but price is ALWAYS an issue. Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Patrick--first of all, we have a number of fantastic suppliers which can be found on our Links page. A number of them also have specials which can be found on the Business Classifieds forum. Slimline kits for less than $2, cigar kits for less than $3! Next, we have a great bunch of members who "reclaim" and cut blanks, then offer them for sale to us at wonderful prices. Check out the Individual Classifieds Forum. The hobby isn't cheap, but there are some wonderful ways to reduce costs here and there! [8D]

ryannmphs

yup, gotta agree with Lou. Especially about reclaiming the wood. I'll be posting some ads this weekend for some wood that I reclaimed from the trash (it was a flooring sample display that the store discarded) Lots of good wood can be found, if you keep your eyes open.

Also on the kits, if you can find someone near you that is also doing pen turning, get together and combine your orders to get a price break. Chuck Ludwigsen and I do it all the time. It also saves on freight charges. For example, if he needs 7 designer pen kits and doesn't want to order the 3 more to get the price break, I will usually order 3 or so kits, that way I can get my stock of kits up at a little bit cheaper of a price.

Ryan

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by ryannmphs
<br />Also on the kits, if you can find someone near you that is also doing pen turning, get together and combine your orders to get a price break.
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but Michael Wine and JimGo--how about a Northern Virginia Buying Consortium? Email me if interested! [8D]

JimGo

Lou, that thought has crossed my mind several times! I think there are a few other "sleeper" members in the DC area, too.

Dario

Patrick,

Kits are trickier...blanks are easy since wood is everywhere ;).

I am in the same dilemma as you since I am on a very tight budget and just want to turn and create/produce. I sold a few but all in all I am loosing since I am giving my pens like crazy [:I]...I think I have to change a bit and start selling more.

swm6500

Woodturningz has some good bargains. I like his fancy 24k gold slimline. $2 a piece of $1.80 each if you by 10. Check out the website at woodturningz.com. Give Ryan a call. BB at Arizona Silhouette has slimline kits for $1.59 I think. Both have some cigars at $2.95.

alamocdc

Patrick, I started with PSI. Then I found Ryan at Woodturningz.com and this forum. It has been good times and gravy since. I've not yet dared to venture away from PSI kits because of the instruction nightmares I've heard about through the forum, but if the price were right for one of the beefier kits I'd probably give 10 a go. I'm sure I could get any help I needed from one of the forum members.

woodpens

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Patrick, I started with PSI. Then I found Ryan at Woodturningz.com and this forum. It has been good times and gravy since. I've not yet dared to venture away from PSI kits because of the instruction nightmares I've heard about through the forum, but if the price were right for one of the beefier kits I'd probably give 10 a go. I'm sure I could get any help I needed from one of the forum members.
Billy,
Sticking with only PSI kits may be alright in the very early stages of pen turning, but you're missing out on the best looking and best quality kits if you don't consider buying from Craft Supplies and Berea Hardwoods. These two companies have done far more for the progress of pen kits than any other. PSI's market is more focused at the people who want the cheapest kits available. As an example, take a look at the PSI gold plated slimline pen and compare it to CSU's slimline pen. CSU adds a quality look to even their lowest priced kits. Look at CSU's better kits including the Havana, Gentleman and Statesman. Pay attention to the variety of platings available. Berea Hardwoods has made great progress in that area as well including sterling silver. I don't want to sound as if I am bashing PSI because I am not. I am simply suggesting that you keep your eyes open to what the major players are now producing.

wayneis

PSI's instructions are no better than any of the other Companies. I thats all that you are worried about you are loosing out on some very nice kits and pens.

Wayne

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by pds0006
<br />I have noticed people here are getting kits and blanks for very low prices like $2 for kits or blanks. I was wondering where they shop for these and if they have to buy hundreds to get those prices. Any info would be great because I love the hobby, but price is ALWAYS an issue. Thanks in advance!

Buying large quantities of kits, as well as blanks, always gives you a better price than the single item. The best price for a high quality kit (slimline)is $1.55 for all quantities from Bill Baumbeck.
Berea has a special program for the crafter who buys 50 kits at a time.

Randy_

Almost everyone starts off with slimline kits because they are cheap and easy to make. As it turns out, some of the larger kits are actually easier to make than slimlines and give a nicer final product because they show off the grain of figured wood much better. I fully understand the problem of economic restraints; but do try some of the other kits as you are able.....there are some very nice kits out there. I just recently "broke down" and bought a rhodium Statesman Jr. FP from CSUSA.....$27!!! WOW!!! Not the kind of pen I am going to do every day of the week; but it sure is pretty and will make a terrific pen!!

I eat lots of hamburgers and hot dogs; but it is nice, on occasion, to have a fine steak, too, even if I can't really afford it!!

opfoto

I agree with all thats been said. I too started with PSI. I have also gotten some Cigars from Ryan. Will place my next order with BB next as his prices are a bit better. No offense to either PSI or Ryan but money is money.

jenamison

Second the pens of color statement. I rarely venture to PSI anymore because Sheila is so good with customer service and can get what you need at a better price. I am one of the steak eaters recently buying a Jr Stateman RB, it sure is a beautiful pen!!!

wood-of-1kind

In an effort to reduce costs, can we please try to exchange (barter) more wood blanks amongst our members? By the look of poll results than are coming back it appears that the majority of our members have 100+ blank inventory. If we can reduce our blank costs (by bartering) then perhaps we will have more money to spend on the hardware kits. I really enjoy this hobby but it is expensive to maintain. Try exchanging your blanks with <b>jbyrd</b>, I know that you won't be disapponted.[:D]

-Peter-

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />In an effort to reduce costs, can we please try to exchange (barter) more wood blanks amongst our members?

Great idea, Peter. We already have a forum for it...Trades and Giveaways. Post what you've got to trade or what you're looking to acquire. I've done quite a few trades and always gotten a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom