How to fix a "too loose" Sierra transmission?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimMc7

I had a couple of Sierra transmissions which were stiff to a fault to turn. I made the mistake of spraying some WD-40 in them and now they are too loose to a bigger fault. I searched and found a reference to "motion control grease" or damping grease but didn't find anything conclusive whether this actually worked in correcting the "too loose" problem.

Ernie at BTW sells replacements for the 2.37" Sierra transmissions but he's currently out of stock. I contacted Berea and they said they don't sell replacements but I should try Vaseline (a bit ironic, I thought). I tried to push some in the transmission with no noticeable effect other than making a mess. I also tried some blue Loc-tite and that worked for about 10 twists.

Anyone else have such a problem and a solution?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
If you mix some vaseline and mineral spirits, you can warm it and put it into the transmission.
The mineral spirits will evaporate, leaving the vaseline. When the vaseline has cooled off,
it will both lubricate and create some resistance.

Haven't done it, though.

JimMc7

Thanks! That sounds like a good idea. Now if I can avoid the "Local Moron Blows Up Garage Saving a $5 Pen Kit" headline, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

JimMc7

Tried the Vaseline in mineral spirits and no joy. Still seems like a good idea -- I probably didn't do it right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom