How to fix this blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DLGunn

I have a cross inlay blank that is not centered, very off center actually. And to make matters worse, the pen tube is glued in even with the top edge of the blank. I was using CA to glue it in and soon as I got the tube all the way in, it stopped. No matter what I did that was as far as the tube was going in.

So how can I fix this? Is the some kind of decorative option for the top part of the blank. I would like something to break up the long "clear" part of the blank above the cross.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20140603_210100.jpg
    20140603_210100.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 303
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Acetone might also dissolve CA glue holding the cross pieces in , if that is what was used . You don`t mention the pen style . Some will allow a tube to be shortened by a 1/4 inch without affecting the operation of the pen .

plantman

Turn off some of the top pf the blank & put a piece of black material with maybe some red pick guard to pick up the colors in the cross.

Notice the brown ring at the top of the upper barrel. We call them OOOPS Rings.:redface:

Bob: That's not an OOOPS Ring, that is an Artistic Design Characteristic added by the craftsman to inhance his creation and express his inner self. Jim S

plano_harry

Looks like the bottom is already trimmed since it is short and the Cross is normally cut in the center. Lots of ways to fix.
1) great place to laser a name or scripture reference in a rotary direction
2) heat a transfer punch and slide it inside the tube to melt the CA and slip the tube out and come up with plan B
3) turn down the top and put some bloodwood and black wood accents on top

Dan Masshardt

Did you get it like that or cut all the extra material off one end only? If you got it that far off center, I'd say that's an issue

I think I might just turn it as is and let the cross be low on the blank The clip can be above it and it's a Sierra or liberty so there will be plenty of pen below the tube

No, it won't be ideal it somebody will like it

Last edited:

DLGunn

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to add some oops rings. It's a Sierra pen kit.

Yes I received the blank just as it's pictured. I have not trimmed anything off either end yet.

One more quick question, what is "red pick guard" that Bob mentioned?

plantman

Here is another excellent place to get pick guard. Walmoth Custom Guitar Parts. They have a vast amount of colors in 1 ply, 3 ply, 5 ply, Pearls, and others. Good people to deal with, fast delivery, great prices. Here are a couple of pens showing some of the ways pic guard can be used. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0001 (640x231).jpg
    DSCF0001 (640x231).jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Krash

You might be able to cut off a portion of the area above the cross and glue it with an oop ring below the cross. I would cut it off, square it up, and glue it while on the mandrel rod to keep the brass aligned. If you just tack it together with a very small amount of glue, you could then take it off and soak some more thin CA in the joint to firm it up. If you put an oops ring in, you may have to have the brass tube already installed in the ring prior to gluing everything up. You could put a matching oops ring on the top to make it look planned out.

Top Bottom