How to finish Holly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

This is the first time I have turned Holly blanks. I turned with a skew, looked fine until I sanded. After sanding I see some streaks of grey like sanding dust. I used silicon carbide paper wet/dry, dry 320 grit followed by 600 grit and MM to 1200. After turning to bush size and measuring with calipers I switched to Johnny cnc Delrin bushes for sanding. So it cannot be bushing dust.
Am I using the wrong type of sanding paper? Is Holly a problem or am I doing something wrong?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 247
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Stephen , switch your sandpaper to the light brown stuff or Abronet . The black wet/dry is not good on the Holly or most any light colored wood .

Attachments

• IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 202

leehljp

Member Liaison
I third the above sentiments. I have done much holly and learned NOT to use dark gray/black sandpaper or metal bushings. And be careful with segments that include holly.

Another no-no for holly - don't use BLO unless you want an antiqued ivory look.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Interesting and coming at a good time. I'm getting ready to stabilize about a dozen holly blanks.
How would Micro Mesh work? Most of that is dark.
Frank , I can't recall ever using Micro Mesh on dry material . How about giving it a try , and let us know your findings ?

jttheclockman

Stephen

You said you used silicon carbide paper. I am assuming this is the white paper. If not then the above answers should be followed. The one flaw about holly is there can be streaks of grey throughout the piece and you do not see them until you put a finish on them. They are that light. Making sure you do not contaminate your sandpaper with bushing dust or any other wood dust is needed also. Second when sanding holly do not get the wood too hot with your sanding. Abernet is an open weave sanding pad so it will help in that area to disapate heat. Finally there is no need to to take your sanding grits on any wood down to the same degrees as you wood acrylics. I usually stop at 800grit and the CA will take care of the rest. At least this is my opinions. Have a great day.

Stephen

Stephen

You said you used silicon carbide paper. I am assuming this is the white paper. If not then the above answers should be followed. The one flaw about holly is there can be streaks of grey throughout the piece and you do not see them until you put a finish on them. They are that light. Making sure you do not contaminate your sandpaper with bushing dust or any other wood dust is needed also. Second when sanding holly do not get the wood too hot with your sanding. Abernet is an open weave sanding pad so it will help in that area to disapate heat. Finally there is no need to to take your sanding grits on any wood down to the same degrees as you wood acrylics. I usually stop at 800grit and the CA will take care of the rest. At least this is my opinions. Have a great day.

The 320 is white but the 600 is black. I think the black was the cause for the streaks. I am unable to find details of the Abronet or its availability in Singapore. A google search did not help. Will look for all the types available locally although it is limited.
Thanks for all the info given by everyone.

jttheclockman

The 320 is white but the 600 is black. I think the black was the cause for the streaks. I am unable to find details of the Abronet or its availability in Singapore. A google search did not help. Will look for all the types available locally although it is limited.

Yes that is the answer to the question then. It was the black that contaminated your holly. Like I said you can take it to at least 400 grit and then take a brown paper bag and use that as the final sanding. If you have a white paper bag even better and that as far as the sanding as needed. As long as you make your final sand strokes on each grit with the grain of the wood. Thats about all I have for suggestions. Good luck.

Last edited:

tool-man

The sanding product you are looking for is spelled Abranet. Here is a link:
http://www.mirka-usa.com/products/brands/abranet.htm

Top Bottom