How Exciting Can you Get ? - Whoop-di-doo !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

Perhaps when Berea comes up with new designs, Woodcraft will rebadge and sell them.

Meaning, Woodcraft is a reseller of Berea kits.

:)

magpens

If what you say is correct, then Woodcraft is years behind Berea.

Take a look at some of the new stuff that Berea has come out with recently.

If you don't know about the new kits you should subscribe to Berea's announcements.

Perhaps when Berea comes up with new designs, Woodcraft will rebadge and sell them.

magpens

Come on, man !!! . Let's have some new platings if nothing else !!!

Berea has Rainbow plating on some Sierras, Coffee plating on others, Copper plating on others. Not to mention lots of Black Titanium, Titanium Gold, Brushed Satin with varieties of Chrome, etc.

Yes, the Berea Elegant Sierra is a nice pen kit. . It's a Berea innovation.

But Woodcraft is so far behind. . Nothing new for years.

That hated round top is terribly old fashioned (I know it is still on some Bereas as well). And then the black (or blackish) bottom section, that you see in most of the pictures I showed, is also very old-fashioned.

Taking these things together, Woodcraft is just out of it !!

And even their "sale" prices are way up there, too. I hope Woodcraft reads this.

Maybe they can sell the kits to some.......TIRED OLD PENMAKERS :biggrin::):tongue:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I must be worn OUT!! The Elegant Sierra style is still a good product for me.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

MRDucks2

Keep in mind that Woodcraft stores are a franchise operation and they are a wood hobby store not a pen supply store. Comparing Woodcraft to a pen supplier would be like comparing a hardware store to a John Deer dealer.

My job allows me to visit various Woodcraft stores in the Midwest and there are huge differences between them. The best ones reflect owner/manager interest in their wood hobby, though the store "focus" may vary widely from one another.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

Brian G

If you don't know about the new kits you should subscribe to Berea's announcements.

I do receive Berea's announcements. :)

I don't intend to sound like a Woodcraft apologist. With a few exceptions, they are like other vendors that sell pen kits renamed from the version sold by the "big names."

I don't know the marketing arrangement Woodcraft has with Berea, but it's quite possible Berea chooses to limit the choices of kits secondary sellers can carry. As mentioned, Woodcraft is primarily a woodworking store in general. They likely limit the range to keep inventory to what they can move consistently.

You're correct about the prices; it takes a Woodcraft 20% off sale to make the price point equal to some of the IAP vendors that carry Berea kits. Then add in the volume discounts offered in vendors' mix and match option, and Woodcraft can't compete for my dollar. The only exception for me is when I'm in a time crunch. I have a Woodcraft within a 10 minute drive

PenPal

Wow fashion statements about pens. Realistically the market place is the true decider for me and other makers I know.

The proliferation of Sierras in their reincarnations etc makes it difficult to make sometimes.

Recently a pen shown by MIK from Australia showed a rainbow tip area that complemented the stained glass effects in the blank beautifully.The maker had stated that the rainbow effect on the kit was a mistake and only a few were released,now they are a fact.

I am of the opinion that using and choosing kits is about as personal as what car,ute,truck you drive so I view your statement as a comment not a trend.

In the world that is for US residents there are so many suppliers to make us here in Australia envious sometimes,however it is true in most general products with Australias population of
so few people the market place does not allow for the bulk purchases to reduce our prices.

The individual choices made by dealers of pen kit names is very confusing. Never having given or sold a pen to anyone as a named pen kit but simply a Ball point,Fountain etc the discussion using names when purchasing as a maker just does not happen.Receivers of pens are far more interested in timber pens stating the timber name. Naming plastic pens by the sold name ie the purchased from makers name seems unnecessary to me

I can understand people or firms naming kits individually is for identification and an attempt to divert the customer from googling the suppliers who sell pen kits for a living allowing the customer to compare this cost with what they are paying for a finished pen.

Summing up I have never heard tired old designs referred to me before when I prepare a pen or it leaves me. I relate to you I love Slimlines using the larger centrebands. They qualify as old been buying them and having huge success with them since thirty or more years.

In America firms have huge numbers of reasons to discount or place items for large savings using any darn reason to do so. A lot of wholesalers with dependant dealers sell to the public as well,often they market cheaper (dealers),some Wholesalers have releases at a discount and withhold from the dealers for a while to introduce new products.

Naming a firm PSI catalogue should satisfy anyone in America with the huge number of new releases and comprehensive coverage for penmakers if you are seeking new designs.

An example here in Australia the two main suppliers for food items are Coles and Woolworths then in comes Aldi from Germany to put the cat among the pidgeons. I never expect any of these three to have the exact same item hence shopping for us is divided in the three stores.

Thanks for your comment Mal you bring participation on a forum to a new level.

Kind regards Peter.

Last edited:

stuckinohio

I'm with Mal on this. Every time I walk in to Woodcraft I think to myself "I wish they had a better pen section". I am on very good terms with the manager and he is unable to do anything about it, as mentioned earlier in the post. Bummer.

I do on occasion buy pen kits there, but only when I need a couple. I ran in and got two bolt actions and a black acrylic blank the other day. Unfortunately I suppose everyone does this as well which probably proves to the Woodcraft higher ups that there isn't much of a demand.

Personally I don't like the sierra or any of it's clones, but I know I am in the minority...

I buy big wood tools from Woodcraft along with supplies and some lumber when I can't run to an Amish lumber yard or don't have time to order.

OZturner

Hi Mal,
I Appreciate and Share your Concern and Comments.
But the Pens released from Berea over the last couple of years or so, honestly haven't stirred my creative juices sufficiently to take the risk to try some.
This of course, greatly influenced by the Cost of the Pen, Rate of Exchange, plus the Freight to Oz, to then find that it isn't as good as you thought or hoped it would be.
I have recently sourced many of my pens, from Exotics, I feel that there are sufficient good pens there, for me to try, until I have to give up Pen Making :eek:
Regards,
Brian.

Top Bottom