How does this sound? Need advice too.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

How does a Gatsby pen sound made with Acrylic Acetate?
I found some super cool AA blanks recently, and they caught my eye.

Has anyone made a combo like this before? How did it turn out?

Just trying to get some ideas is all.
Thanks for reading.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
How does a Gatsby pen sound made with Acrylic Acetate?
I found some super cool AA blanks recently, and they caught my eye.

Has anyone made a combo like this before? How did it turn out?

Just trying to get some ideas is all.
Thanks for reading.

This combination will work well! I turned 4 this weekend (AA-Berea) with Stylus Sierra kits from Exotic blanks (I believe the Gatsby is a clone of the original Berea Sierra, I may be wrong).

They were for "Wifey" to give out at work as she travels. Alas 3 of the 4 had disappeared by this AM. (But, I have 6 more kits left, she leaves this Sunday for Europe, so I think she will be covered!).

mecompco

I think Gatsby/Sierra/Wallstreet/Mesa pens look nice in general. As long as the hardware compliments the blank, go for it!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I say, "Go for it" :biggrin: Here's the way it works around here and, elsewhere.... YOU get an idea for a pen....try it out....take a few photos and, post them in the "Show Off Your Pens" forum and, you will soon find out what people think of it. :wink::biggrin: I'm clowning again but, it really IS up to you to determine what will work. As I said GO FOR IT and, see how it works. You may be surprised at your results. I would put some different material between the opposing materials like, aluminum or, a thin strip of vaneer. Those are my suggestions. FWIW :redface::wink:

magpens

I haven't used Gatsbys but I have happily made dozens of Sierras with AA blanks with good results.

Be sure to paint inside the hole you drill in the blank because the acrylic gets thin near the ends especially (depending on what shape you turn it).

Nothing spoils a pen for me more than seeing brass through the acrylic.

You can paint the tube also, but the key thing is to paint the acrylic surface inside the hole. Drilling with a 27/64" bit should leave plenty of room for paint inside the hole. Be sure to let the paint dry well (2 days) before gluing the tube in.

Last edited:

Herb G

Here's my working idea.
This kit with This blank should make a really nice looking pen.
Thanks for the info about painting the brass tubes.

Does the paint interfere with the glue, or does the glue react with the paint? I could always use epoxy for the blanks I suppose.
Do people use different color paints, depending on the color of the blanks?

I think white or silver paint would make a dark blank reflect light better, giving it the appearance of depth. Like an lacquer paint job on a car.

I don't have any experience using AA, hence all the questions.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.
I appreciate it.

mecompco

Herb, I think that combination will look very nice. I think you're idea of silver paint would be perfect. When using translucent blanks, I like to:

1. Lightly sand any drilling marks from the blank (they can show through).

2. Paint the inside of the blank, let dry at least 24 hours.

3. Scuff up and paint the tube, let dry at least 24 hours.

4. Glue in tube with 5 min epoxy with a few drops of paint added. Some paint may speed up some glue, so I don't dilly dally. Let dry 24 hours.

This is just what I do--one can probably just get away with painting the blank or the tube.

qquake

I really like both the Gatsby and Gatsby Grande pens. I prefer them over the Sierra pens. The second two photos are Gatsby Grandes.

Attachments

• 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    355.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 054.JPG
    054.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 135

Herb G

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I will go for it. Those pens are slick looking Jim.
The 1st one with copper & purple (at least it looks that way on my monitor) is pretty nice & unique.
I will get turning soon, after my wife gets back from her cruise. I don't like to use power tools when I'm by myself, in case something happens.
I'll let you in on the story one of these days.

qquake

The first one is actually a Strata Gem from Exotic Blanks called Blue Moonbeam. It's more of a blue and silver. Very attractive blank.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 119
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 132

CREID

Here's my working idea.

Does the paint interfere with the glue, or does the glue react with the paint? I could always use epoxy for the blanks I suppose.

I think white or silver paint would make a dark blank reflect light better, giving it the appearance of depth. Like an lacquer paint job on a car.

I appreciate it.

That combo should do well, one thing to note. In my book, a good looking blue blank can never go wrong. Blue also happens to be my favorite color. :biggrin:

qquake

Here's my working idea.

I appreciate it.

I used to use acrylic paint for the inside of the blanks (reverse painting) and coloring the epoxy. But lately I've been using spray paint for reverse painting the blanks and painting the tubes. I've been getting better results that way, and the spray enamel seems to dry faster. I still use acrylic paint to color the epoxy. I'm convinced, that in this case, the black paint made the blank look "smoky" in places.

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 128
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 043.JPG
    043.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 131
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 93
  • 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 057.JPG
    057.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 128

Herb G

Hey Jim, does mixing acrylic paint with epoxy affect it in any way?
I didn't know you could mix acrylic with epoxy.
My thoughts were to get some auto touch up paint & spray the tubes, then glues them in with epoxy after they dried completely.

Does that sound like something that would work?
That reminds me, I need to buy some fresh epoxy. The stuff I have here is over 9 years old. It still works, but it takes forever to cure entirely.
Like weeks, instead of just a day or so.

qquake

I haven't noticed any difference in the colored epoxy. It sets just fine with the acrylic paint in it. But instead of getting acrylic paint to color the epoxy, I don't see why you can't spray a little of the spray paint into a container and use that. It only takes a drop.

Top Bottom