How does the Elegant American work?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dickhob

I give up. Finished a Berea Elegant American BP today and carefully assembled it per instructins. The transmission does not work correctly. I've read in other posts that there have been problems with this, but I simply don't understand what is wrong or how to fix it.

I disassembled the top, made sure the barrel was clean. I checked that the refill works smoothly through the nib. I've reassembled the top again. Right now the bp tip is in writing position. In order to retract it I literally unscrew the top from the center ring, leaving a 1/16 gap between the center and the blank- totally unacceptable.

I've read all the threads (I think) and checked AS and Berea web sites. I can't figure this thing out. If someone can explain what is happening and how to correct it I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks
Dick
New Milford, CT

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

Dick add some pictures to this if you can, it might help out.

Are you saying when you retract the refill it still sticks out? Then to get that to go in your create the gap. If that is the case my first guess would be you trimmed too much off when squaring up the tubes and made the bottom 1/2 too short. It has been awhile since I have done one of those but if I recall correctly you would really know if you switched the top and bottom barrels.

I cannot remember right now sitting here but its a Parker refill right. You can try trimming off a tiny bit of the black cap on the refill and that will help it retract. It will not really be sellable at that point but you can still use it.

PaulDoug

I've only made one and it was a while ago, but if I remember correctly it was my first double twist pen. I didn't even realize it was double twist so when I turned it the way (I thought ) to extend the point, it was out where it should be. Than I twisted all the way back and the point was still out! I shouldn't tell this on myself, but I disassembled the pen, put it back together and hey, same thing. I fiddled with it for a while before it dawned on me the pen was double twist!!! DUH!

Maybe it wasn't the Elegant American, is it double twist?

curlyjoe

Back out the finial just a hair then press it in. This will give you a hair at the twist end so the blank is not locking up on the twist holder. this should solve the problem.

dickhob

I'm saying that when I screw the cap end of the pen onto the collar, the point is in the writing position (extended) when I try to retract the point, the cap UNSCREWS as I would expect it to do when changing refills. As far as I can tell, there is no movement in the transmission.

According to the assembly instructions, the transmission "should come flush with the large diameter end of the short tube" when pressed into the tube from the small end.

The base of the collar is flat. If the base had a milled outside collar and the transmission needed to be a bit proud, I could see how the transmission could work. Per the instructions everything is flush leaving no way to twist the mechanism. If I make the trans proud (I think I'll try that next) there will be a gap between the cap and the top (threaded side) of the center collar, which is the size I make the trans proud. This will make for a very sloppy joint and is totally unacceptable as far as I am concerned.

I am positive I have pressed the transmission from the small to large end on the short tube.

The short tube is screwed into the center collar by threads within the transmission. I understand unscrewing to replace the refill, but for the life of me I do not understand how the transmission twists to extend/retract the writing tip.

If it is a double twist mechnicism you could fool me. Hell I can't get a single twist out of it!. All I get is screw on (extend the point), screw off (retract the point and have a 1/16 gap between the short tube and the center collar).

I very well may have shortened the tube when I used the barrel trim, but I'm pretty sure it was not by much (less than 1/64). I took light touches until the was a shiny brass ring all the way around the blank. I am far from a pro at this, but I know the meaning of a light touch on stuff like this.

This is my first CA/BLO finish and is supposed to be for the PITH. I think it turned out pretty well, but I can't exactly give it away if the transmission doesen't work. Guess I may be looking at doing something else.

Hope this helps. Pics will follow ASAP.

I'll get you some pics as soon as I get my camera batteries recharged.

Thanks

dickhob

SUCESS:D:D:D
Loosening the finial and pressing the trans a paper thickness proud did the trick. The instructions are wrong- the trans should be proud, not flush. I'm goina email AS and Berea and ask them to clearify their instructions.

DougPaul, you are right- it is a double twist transmission.

Works great once you get it assembled. I love it when a plan comes together! Time for a little celebration juice.

Thanks for all your help.

I'll post a pic anyway. I think it came out pretty nice.

curlyjoe

with that small of a gap you shouldn't be able to tell unless you were looking for it. glad it worked

PaulDoug

I'm glad it worked and I'm really glad it wasn't something stupid like I did. Oh well, I live and learn and I sure don't mind laughing at myself!

dickhob

Here's the pics.

2008714184616_EAmer0.jpg

200871418470_EAmer1.jpg

Top Bottom