How do yuo decide on

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

how do you decide on what finish kit (gold verses chrome) to use on a finished blank? By contrast? Or by guess? Is there any article that has been written on this subject what will help?

Thanks bill Daniels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

We always decide by look. If we have more than one of a kit for which we are making the pen ... Sierra in gold/chrome etc.... then when we get done I generally will put the clip of one and the tip of the other on each end of the pen and put it in the light to see which looks best.
[:X]

GBusardo

Some of the people here are almost magical on how they pick a kit to go with a blank. I am not one of them. I do a lot of looking at the photo album :)

stevers

I just try to envision the pen complete and pick the best match. Some combos are just common sense. Blue usually gets silver, green gets gold, red gets silver and some could get copper. It's a personal choice as well. Some times I'll pick a kit and turn down the blank and change my mind when I'm done turning it. I just switch kits and replace the tubes in the kit I don't use. That is assuming I have more than one kit finish to choose from.
After a while it just comes to you and you know. And some still baffle me. Thats half the fun.
Have fun and good luck.

Ligget

When I finish a blank I will put the clip next to the blank to see how it will look.

If I have several plating options available I will pull all the different clips out and see what suits the blank best.:)

Daniel

On my web site customers can make any combo they want. I have had a few that I would never have drempt of putting together like gold and Rhodium. I was suprised at how well it looked, (there was lots of black along with the gold). I just did a rhodium father sing pen in amboyna burl, which is anouther combo I would not have chosen. It also looks very nice. All in all it really is an issue of parsonal taste. looking at photos is a great way to develop your likes and dislikes though.

mrcook4570

Titanium gold, rhodium, platinum, and chrome look good with any material. Some customers prefer gold, while others prefer silver colored metals. Black titanium also looks good with any material. Be careful with the other platings, however. Some of them look hideous with certain materials.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Monday, Wed and Friday are Rhodium

Tuesday and Thursday are TN gold

The weekend, throw caution to the wind, close your eyes and pick one!!;);)

Marc Phillips

I turn the pen, assemble it, then post a pic here.... these guys tell me it looks stupid, I make a note of that particular combo, and try not to do that again [:p]

This method lets me make a lot more pens, and my friends and family like this method because they get more free, albeit ugly, pens :D

Galanw

I have a set of slimline parts in different finishes with the fittings filed down so they can be inserted into the tubes without pressure. Then, with a dowel connecting the upper and lower tubes, I alternate the different finishes and consult my wife about which goes best. She usually goes for the chrome, followed by black and last gold...depending on the color matches. [8D]

karlkuehn

Banned
Like others here, I usually just hold up various platings to the finished piece to see what would look best.

I usually go for contrast, but sometimes I'll see that there's enough figure/interesting funks in a blank to make it worthwhile to use something that almost matches the color of the blank.

One thing I try to avoid is clashing colors; stuff that's close but not exact, like kelly green and sage green, red/brown and green/brown, that sort of thing.

I rarely try to match a kit to blank anymore until I've actually turned it down to see what's inside. :)

airrat

Originally posted by Galanw

and <h2>consult my wife</h2> about which goes best. [8D]

Here is a guy that knows what is good for him.

I always ask my wife and knowing what is good for me 95% of the time go with her choice.

Top Bottom