How do you treat your lathe bed?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NittanyLion

Interested in knowing how everyone keeps their lathe beds clean. Sand? Wire brush? Oil? Wax? Acetone? Mine still collects CA, no matter how careful I try, so I'm looking for other ideas on how to clean it and keep it clean.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I use mineral oil and paste wax for maintenance.

I hardly ever get ca etc on the bed, but use acetone I if I do. Putty knife type scraper for a really thick spot of ca. Fine steel wood once in a blue moon.

I can't think that I'd ever use something like a wire brush.

Do you but something on the bed when you apply ca? I made a board to fit almost exactly. Other ideas I heard were denim cut from old jeans.

randyrls

Steve; When doing CA or any finish, I put a piece of toolbox liner foam across ways. I got it from the local Harbor Freight. I would think the craft foam sold at craft stores would work too! Any thing that is closed cell and not permeable to water should work. Don't use anything like cloth, towel, or any material that water or CA can soak thru.

I clean the ways with acetone and then wax with auto paste wax.

NittanyLion

Great ideas....I do use a board, and a piece of canvas, but occasionally get some glue on. Sometimes I clean with acetone and very fine steel wool, then usually a coat of wax.

400 grit after chipping(putty knife) if needed. Renisonts(sp) wax rubbed in good. Stays clean a good while. Tail stock and banjo slide real good. I do cover with a gallon bag weighted with 2 long bolts. 1 behind, 1 in front of the ways.

Last edited:

PenMan1

Perhaps one of the best "tool investments" I've made for the pen shop is a pack of magnetic vent covers.

This $5 pack of vinyl coated magnetic film can be cut with regular scissors to virtually any width, length or angle. By placing the vent cover over the lathe's ways, it protects mini lathe's under mounted motor from dust, water, CA and all types of other debris, as well as keeping the ways in good shape.

Additionally, when you drop a bushing, rather than having to look all over the shop for it, it's usually stuck to the vent cover.

I make A LOT of pens!!! The vent covers reduce my lathe cleaning time dramatically.

I am a believer that, in fact, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Respectfully submitted.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

Perhaps one of the best "tool investments" I've made for the pen shop is a pack of magnetic vent covers.

This $5 pack of vinyl coated magnetic film can be cut with regular scissors to virtually any width, length or angle. By placing the vent cover over the lathe's ways, it protects mini lathe's under mounted motor from dust, water, CA and all types of other debris, as well as keeping the ways in good shape.

Additionally, when you drop a bushing, rather than having to look all over the shop for it, it's usually stuck to the vent cover.

I make A LOT of pens!!! The vent covers reduce my lathe cleaning time dramatically.

I am a believer that, in fact, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Respectfully submitted.

That's a great idea. I use them cut to size inside my vise jaws for assembly. I got them at the dollar store. I'm not telling you guys how much they cost though. ;-p

Top Bottom