How do you (should you) store your wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hobby_dale

Just curious, not that I am starting to gather my harvest of blanks, as to the best way to store them. Airtight container? Open on the shelf? In a box, but away from light?

I guess it may matter on the type of wood and how wet it is. Any thoughts and suggestions would be most helpful, especially lesson learned!

Thanks in advance,
Dale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

There was a long thread on this a couple weeks ago. Everybody has their own style. I keep mine in document or manuscript boxes. They measure about 9"X12"X2" and are sturdy cardboard. They can be stacked or kept on a shelf like books. Some are labeled as to what kind of wood is inside, others are not. Usually when I start a pen, or pens, I just go through all the boxes and remove what appeals to me for that project on that day.

ryannmphs

Frank, I think you might be referring to a thread I started.

I've started using old carboard boxes, cut off the top flats and use them as dividers in the box. It's working out real nice for the blanks I have a lot of. Unfortunatly most of my blanks are onesies or twosies so they just get put into a box or in my "sample case" (used a tackel box with clear sides) that I carry with me at work.

I have also been trying to write on each blank what they are incase I get blanks mixed up (not like two woods ever look alike)

Ryan

hobby_dale

Ah, yes. I wondered if there was a previous thread on this. Figured I couldn't be the first one to ask. Still working on the search mechanism, so I'll give that a shot. Sorry for opening up a new topic, to rehash an old one. Dale

alamocdc

At teh moment, I'm using large zip lock bags that are labeled and tossed in boxes. Is this bad? Do I need to let the wood "breath" more? Or does it depend on how it was dried? Good question, Dale. Thanks, don't know why I hadn't thought of it. All of my plank lumber is stored the normal way we woodworkers store wood so I just... [8]

Dario

First off, I didn't read the tread mentioned so pardon if I am saying something already mentioned.

I believe that they should NEVER be stored in air tight containers. What little moisture left can wreck havoc in confined areas. Exposure to light depends on what you want to attain...some like cherry, mesquite, etc. becomes deep red with prolonged exposure to sunlight. Sad thing is you will cut those exposed surface anyway and have to start over after finishing.

My take will be to store them in boxes where they can breath. Label properly for easy search/reference.

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />At teh moment, I'm using large zip lock bags that are labeled and tossed in boxes. Is this bad? Do I need to let the wood "breath" more?

If you want them to spalt it would be a good idea.
Otherwise let them breath

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
OH NO, I am not going to answer this question... last time I did I got into a whole load of trouble. [:p][:p]
But I do use cardboard boxes... just make sure they are labeled so you know what is in them...
One of these days I am actually going to get the shelving put up over my workbench so I have a place to put them, instead of being piled all over the shop... it might actually stop me from buying stuff I already have enough of or don't need.. (YEAH RIGHT!!![;)])

alamocdc

Okay, that brings up another question. Will kiln dried wood spalt under the storing conditions I mentioned above? Somewhere on here I saw how to make your own spalted wood, but I didn't think it was talking about the kiln dried stuff. I know it may sound like a stupid question to some of you, but I didn't even know what spalting was until two years ago, and I've been working with wood for 20 years. I just always bought kiln dried lumber from a yard or wood supply house.

MDWine

I learned this from Griz... I HAVE WOOD ALL OVER THE SHOP!!! [:p][:D]

I'm trying to keep track of all of this stuff, but I get so much so fast, it's hard to keep track of !!!

I am trying to organize, and I am writing on each blank what kind it is, so I can assemble "like" pieces eventually...

When I am done with this wedding set, I'm making shelves and cabinets for the shop!!!

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Okay, that brings up another question. Will kiln dried wood spalt under the storing conditions I mentioned above? Somewhere on here I saw how to make your own spalted wood, but I didn't think it was talking about the kiln dried stuff. I know it may sound like a stupid question to some of you, but I didn't even know what spalting was until two years ago, and I've been working with wood for 20 years. I just always bought kiln dried lumber from a yard or wood supply house.

No you can't make kiln dried wood spalt. Wood mositure needs to be above 20% and the temps need to be above 60 degrees.

Home Brewed Spalting Methods:
1) Place green wood into a plastic bag. Add some Miracle Grow and a can or so of beer. Seal Bag and inspect weekly.

2) Place green wood into a plastic bag. Add fresh grass clippings and enough water to keep things damp. Seal bag and inspect weekly.

3) In the fall: Place green wood into a plastic bag. Add fresh fallen leaves and enough water to keep things damp. Seal bag and inspect weekly. Keep in a warm place.

4) In the winter: wait till spring.

Amount of ingredients depends on amount and type of wood

Method one works best but it seems like a loss of a good beer.

mikeharvey

I use an old government card file cabinet… (picked up at a garage sale for 5 bucks[8D]) abut 5 feet high, 2 feet across and 3 feet deep. It hast about 15 removable drawers designed to hold high numbers of index files…(heavy!) each drawer has a divider down the middle, and a moveable divider on each side… the cabinet will hold hundreds of pen blanks… works for me…

Big Mike

Darley

Well for myself I store in form of small log and cut the blanks when needed, when the blanks are cut ( I leave then full length ) I write the species of the wood on it and put them in a storage box and yes like Tom I got wood all over the place.

Serge

200552023951_wood%20store1.jpg
<br />

2005520231229_wood%20store3.jpg
<br />

hobby_dale

serge, is that some type of plastic coating on the end of some of the logs? Looks like you are protecting the end, from bugs, rot, etc. Correct?

Darley

Originally posted by hobby_dale
<br />serge, is that some type of plastic coating on the end of some of the logs? Looks like you are protecting the end, from bugs, rot, etc. Correct?

Yes Dale sort off, I seal all my logs with my mixture, the seal prevent cracks and not bugs, if they want get in they will [:D],I keep my logs for 1 year seal whole then I cut them in half and let them for another year them I cut them in blanks,will post other photos.

Serge

Darley

Originally posted by Darley
<br />
<br />serge, is that some type of plastic coating on the end of some of the logs? Looks like you are protecting the end, from bugs, rot, etc. Correct?

Yes Dale sort off, I seal all my logs with my mixture, the seal prevent cracks and not bugs, if they want get in they will [:D],I keep my logs for 1 year seal whole then I cut them in half and let them for another year them I cut them in blanks,will post other photos.

Serge

Here's another photos to show you the seal. I do the seal with petrol or you can use turp, you take a jar or a tin cut in peices some foam box ( type tomato or brocoli ) pour the petrol or turp stir and let disolve then put the paste on top of your green log.

Serge

2005523279_BANKSIA%20SEAL.jpg
<br />

atvrules1

I started storing mine in a pile on the bench. Then the floor, then the rest of the shop, then outside. Now I have to build a new shop. Something tells me that this is a common problem. Maybe I can just build a woodshed. Or two.

hobby_dale

Serge,

&gt;&gt; I do the seal with petrol or you can use turp, you take a jar or a tin cut in peices
&gt;&gt; some foam box ( type tomato or brocoli ) pour the petrol or turp stir and let disolve
&gt;&gt; then put the paste on top of your green log.

What is a foam box? I guess I am not familiar with that term. BTW, did you mean "tin cup", instead of "tin cut"? Just wondering on that as well.

Cool idea, thanks for sharing!

Dale

Darley

<br />Serge,

&gt;&gt; I do the seal with petrol or you can use turp, you take a jar or a tin cut in peices
&gt;&gt; some foam box ( type tomato or brocoli ) pour the petrol or turp stir and let disolve
&gt;&gt; then put the paste on top of your green log.

What is a foam box? I guess I am not familiar with that term. BTW, did you mean "tin cup", instead of "tin cut"? Just wondering on that as well.

Cool idea, thanks for sharing!

Dale

Foam box are polystyrene box, green grocers have vegetables in it like tomato or brocoli, usually they throw them away, the box is white.

"" you take a jar or a tin, cut in pieces
some foam box ( type tomato or brocoli ) pour the petrol or turp stir and let disolve ""

Sorry forgot the coma between tin and cut

Serge

Doghouse

2005313203149_shed%20full%20of%20wood.jpg

Just wax the ends to control checking and fire off a bug bomb every now and then to keep out the nasties.

The larger you keep the wood, the longer it takes, but less movement occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom