How do you order?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Because of the great discussion about Berea's website and realizing that CSUSA monitors this site and may benefit from the feedback, I wonder how many of you order off websites? Do you do so because you cannot call during normal business hours? Would Saturday calling hours be appropriate or do you just like to order off the web?

Also most web sites don't apply quantity discounts correctly-is this a problem? Just interested in feedback, I have always ordered most of my stuff by phone, but I have the advantage of being able to do so during normal business hours-how should the various penkit vendors best accomodate the "average" customer? And, if you don't mind indicating, how many kits do you normally order at a time?

Hope this is of interest to everyone, if not, I have thick skin-so blast away!!![B)]

To moderator, if this would more appropriately be in a different section, feel free to move and sorry:(

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

I order almost 100% off websites because I have this thing called a job that gets in the way during daytime. Saturday ordering availability would make no difference to me because I want to spend my Saturdays doing other things.

rtjw

I now order 100% off websites. I also only order from people that I can pay with paypal. I would love for CSUSA to have paypal so that I can order some things from them, like the statesman pen kits.

BogBean

I always order by phone unless it is a very large order then I will order via web site. On the smaller orders I ask the vendor to ship via the Postal Service to save shipping costs. If you order from BB no need to ask about shipping as he will ship cheapest way...

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Virtually all my orders are by phone... whether it be CSU or BillB... I like to talk to the people.. besides you never know what kind of specials they might mention... On top of that CSU is offering shipment via USPS that is faster than the normal UPS, but you have to ask for it... it is a trial thing I think..

<b>Johnny</b>, get a paypal debit card... I have one and all the suppliers take it like a credit card... it is free..

<b>Gary</b>, watch your language this is family site... we don't allow those 4 letter words here [:p][:p]

driften

BB keeps my credit card number on file so I just email him my orders with out sending the credit card number each time. I also order online from other places if its not something BB stocks.

Fleabit

I mostly order via website....but somethings require a phone call. Besides, keeping in touch with the human side of companies sometimes gets you some nice deals as Griz mentioned.

Rudy Vey

I use a website mainly to gather information, then generally phone my order in, mainly Berea and BB and a little bit from Ryan and Sheila and CSUSA. As Tom said I like to talk to the people, too and talking to Bill or Jim is always a treat.

Rifleman1776

When it comes to pens, almost always via phone. The exception is Beartooth Woods. His site is well designed and has no ambiguities. With others, I phone to avoid receiving a size or style 'xyz' when I wanted an 'abc' but someone else calls the 'abc' an 'xyz' or whatever. And, if the order is lightweight I will tell (politely) the order taker to ship cheapest way possible or I will shop elsewhere. They always do, and cheerfully. I still don't like that. It means all are treated equal but some more equal than others. You don't insist, you will pay more than others for same product. With other woodworking items and/or almost anything that can be purchased via the internet, I do on site. But the pen kit suppliers seem stubborn-headed determined to make understanding styles, sizes, options, etc. as jumbled and confusing as possible. In my opinion (am I repeating myself? [:p] ) this is going to bite the big boys in the posterior one day when some logical thinkning start-up suddenly captures the market.

Daniel

I use both, I prefer using the web. pay pal is real simple that way. others like Ryan you get through faster on the phone and he is great to talk with. as for roder sizes. i place orders in all sizes from one item to a few dozen. I've ordered my dust collector and my band saw over the net just in the last couple of months. I guess the strangeness of it has worn off. and it is all pretty much the same to me now.
And Frank I'll take one of those abc things you mentioned as long as I can sustitute the band for an xyz style and then of course shorten the whole thing by an nth. I think that will all fit together aok [xx(]

opfoto

I have ordered from both websites, and by phone. Like others, if I have questions or concerns I use the phone. I have yet to order from Nils or BB. I am looking forward to it very soon. Generally 1st orders as a new customer will be by phone.

wicook

I've ordered from BB, CSUSA, and PSI websites and have never run into a problem (after the first time I discovered that since CSUSA ships via UPS as their default I got hit by unexpectedly large charges). Since I'm north of the border, I got dinged about $30 for a $30 order by the nice folks at UPS who figure that people in Canada don't mind paying them a $15 or $20 brokerage fee in addition to customs and import taxes. [xx(] I sent CSUSA an email about shipping via USPS instead of UPS...and they said to just ask for USPS ground shipping and they'd be happy to do it...and they have ever since. Internet ordering is definitely my preference...and I order anywhere from a couple of kits to 20 or so at a time.

swm6500

I like to order from a website if possible. I have emailed BB orders and also ordered from his website. I email Ryan and he usually calls for verification. I have not ordered from CSUSA yet. I ordered once from HUT, and their customer service via email is non existent. I eventually got my complete order but they never responded to emails. I usually order from 5 to 50 kits depending on the timing of my requirements.

woodpens

I order virtually 100% via websites. I occasionally send BB an email if there is anything unusual about the order or if I need something not on his site. I am disappointed that CSU no longer allows Bill to sell their products. I'm not fond of talking on the phone.

I normally order 10 of each kit that I am in need of. Typically, I order around 30 kits at a time. I usually have other items I order at the same time such as sleeves and cases.

RockyHa

After trying the others, I order mostly as much as I can from BB now over the phone. The others cost too much for shipping and it takes forever to get here (1 1/2 to 3 weeks). My orders from BB are here in 3 or 4 days and at the most reasonable shipping rate.

Tom@wgp

95% is on the web for me. If I have a rush, then I call CSU in the morning, its out the same day and I have it waiting for me when I get home the next day. I've all but given up calling PSI. They just aren't that pleasant on the phone.

Ben

Originally posted by Tom@wgp
<br />95% is on the web for me. If I have a rush, then I call CSU in the morning, its out the same day and I have it waiting for me when I get home the next day. I've all but given up calling PSI. They just aren't that pleasant on the phone.

I CANNOT SAY THE SAME THING!!! PSI over the phone has been ABSOLUTLY WONDERFUL for me!!! Joanne is the only person that I've ever delt with there, and she is AWESOME!!! Just my 2 cent$. Other than that, I like the web, but usually follow up by phone to see how the order is going. I only order what SWMBO tells me I can.......

Ben

Ben[;)][;)][;)][;)][;)][;)][;)]

woodwish

I prefer to order on websites, don't really know why. Most folks tell me that I have never met a stranger, I can strike up a conversation about anywhere, but I hate talking on the phone. Always have, probably need some counseling or something. Maybe my mother traumatized me with a phone as a small child? Occasionally I call CSUSA on the phone because not everything is on their website, and they have always been great to deal with. I usally order 10-30 kits at a time, but also usually am ordering other goodies at the same time. Unlike many folks on here I average less than 10% of lathe time making pens. This is my favorite turning forum so I am more active here than other places, but occasionally I feel like an imposter because although I am in the shop almost everyday I go weeks at a time without turning a pen.

Sawdustier

Because of that w**k thingie, I order almost entirely from the web. They're open 24 hrs so I can browse and order later in the evenings. I'm sure as I get more advanced with pens I'll have some questions that I'll have to phone in but for now, this works for me. I normally order 10 of each kit with some extra goodies[;)]

esheffield

I'm almost 100% web. Probably because I'm a programmer and live on the web. [;)]

And woodwish, you're not alone. I despise phones with a passion. I admit to having a cell phone, but few people have my number and I VERY rarely use it. Must be hereditary - my dad is the same way. I used to make fun of him as a kid for it, but I turned out the same way! [:p]

TheHeretic

I do a mix of ways. BB is by phone. I like the interaction and service he provides. I called my first into CSUSA and have done phone and internet orders from them since. I ordered from sheila at POC only over the web. simply was more convienent at the time. Woodcraft is all done local.

As for quantities I will usually set a dollar amount for the order and than make it up to there. Most of the time I go over but.... thats another story. I usually like to try and order in multiples of 5 or 10 usually to gain price breaks. I also add at least 10 of the slims from BB on every order. To me its a convient way to get some stock up for the times when funds are tight and I cant order. I would guess I have about 150 kits on hand to accomodate my whims or the whims of the wood that I get or pull from the pile. I think the avg of my last 5 orders from all sources is about 20-25 kits per order.

Dean
Columbus OH

MDWine

So far, about 99% web... I have a hard time when I go to WoodCraft, tho. I'm always getting a kit or two as an impulse. (Griz is trying to break my habit![;)])

I plan on calling BB this week tho, maybe tomorrow, and catch a few of those old CSUSA specials he's got!

jtswood

Can someone explain to me some of the abbreviations like BB etc.
Thanks

Ben

Originally posted by jtswood
<br />Can someone explain to me some of the abbreviations like BB etc.
Thanks
PSI= Penn State Industries

CSUSA= Craft Supplies USA

BB= Bill Baumbeck of Arizona Silohutte (AWESOME COMPANY!!! See Their link in "LINKS section)

and MOST IMPORTANTLY : SWMBO [:(!] SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED!!![:p]

Ben[8)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom