How do you make your pens unique?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

Didn't know how to title the post, but with all the kits we buy and the materials we use being largely the same, I was wondering if anyone has a logo engraved or otherwise put on all pens they make.

For example, when you look at pens from whatever manufacturer, they all have some sort of identification characteristic, from clips with symbols or imprinted names, to a certain style of pen with a color combination. I'm wondering how you all make your pens unique so that someone looking at your design would know it was done by you and not someone else who makes pens.

Reason I ask is that I was thinking about designing a logo of sorts that could be put on each pen I make so that anyone looking (or me repairing) would know or be able to figure oiut who made the pen. Also, I was wondering if anyone has tried to get the top, clip, or Cb of a pen engraved? If so, how did it work out? I use mostly Platinum, black Ti, Chrome, and sometimes Gold Ti on my pens and want to make sure the parts don't get screwed up because of the process.

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lathemaster

Mike

At the Baltimore Woodworker show in Jan. one of the turners from
Craft USA uses a micro wire wood burner to put his mark and the date under where he plans to put the clip. His feeling was that his mark should not be the center of attention but that the pen should stand on its own merits. However, by marking the pen under the clip he could identify his work and the when the pen was made.

Cheers
Mike

GaryMGg

Take a look at Chris Higdon's album and website -- not only does he have a logo on his pens, but if you check his website, he's also got people registering their Hidgon pens.
Talented and smart pen-maker. [;)]

Gary

Rifleman1776

Quality work should be your trademark. If you are competing with your sales against someone else, then maybe you might want to try designing something really different. There are a few who do that. The Gisi's are famous for it. Johnny, from TPS, is starting it. The infamous Eagle with his inlays and segments is another. There are others too. I believe a talent for artistry and innovation is necessary to come up with something attractive. Otherwise, as I said at the beginning, your trademark and reputation should be built on quality work.

Mikey

Frank, I understand what you are saying, but there are a lot of people who do quality work that use the same kits we all use. Even the Gisis use the Emperor pens and other kit pens. What makes me know they are their designs is normally the clip style or top cap being different as many people out there make segmented pens. This is what I am shooting for, but since I cannot yet make my own clips, I was thinking about imprinting my own small logo somewhere on the pen. It would only be 1/8" or so tall and only two letters, but I would be able to tell that I made the pen or hopefully one day, someone else would take a look at it and know I made the pen.

You also mention Eagle, but with his nice designs also comes the fact he sells many or even gives away some of his custom blanks. When one does this, IMO you lose some of the uniqueness of your work since one cannot be positve who made the pen.

Gary, I do believe I remember seing that a little while ago and it's a great idea. Probably something more of us should do IMHO. I didn't feel this way even a month ago, (only gave away and sold by word of mouth) but comments and inquiries from people I don't know are changing that. I want to have a good plan up front to make my product recognizable, even if it your basic kit with acrylic.

Alexander

Wow, I bet this could be a debate that lives on forever. I however am going to have to go with Frank on this one. It seems to me that by utilizing a logo or identifying "mark" of some sort. It is done for ones own personal recognition and not for the customer. I dont consider myself to be a Picaso or a Monet. If I were that would be different. ( and I would be dead ) I feel that people buy pens because they want to have something so unique and different that no-one else has. By puting a logo on it I think you take some of that individuality away.

jjudge

I think about this topic a lot, although I'm still working on just growing my range of pens/skills/capabilities right now.

I think it comes down to:
- produce quality (shape, materials, execution)
- be unique and creative (creative use of materials, assembly, vision, exotic elements, etc.)

You can have GREAT outputs without having both, but its rare.

E.g., Some amazing pens created with simple/cheap kits, amazing materials can overcome some more bland shapes, etc.

However, it seems you can take it a degree further. I guess this is much more important when you care about the marketing/business end of this.
- signature element (e.g., Higdon's stamp on his pens, packaging, etc.)
- unique support (e.g., lifetime replacement, registration and using it to build a community or interaction with the pen user, etc.)

... or other such "gimmicks" that, if done well, aren't really gimmicks -- but actually add something to the item beyond simply being a writing instrument.

yes?

-- joe

hrigg

Once I give or sell a pen to someone it is their's...not mine. My name on it would detract from that, IMO. A pen isn't like a piece of flatwork or a bowl, where the maker can put whatever he or she wants in an inconspicuous place. If I had to mark one, however, I would have my initials and the date laser-engraved on the inside of the center band, if there was one, or the underside of the clip.

NancyLaird

On all of the pens that I make to order, I laser-engrave the name of the recipient (or another phrase, if desired) on the lower barrel. As I don't do anything but wood, and I just happen to have a laser-engraving machine, I can do that in about 2 minutes before doing the final finish on a pen.

I haven't had many people complain about losing their pens!

As far as identifying my work, I usually try to "push" an engraved pen box with the pens, and I will engrave my company name, e-mail addy, and phone number on the bottom. That way, when the recipient receives the pen and shows off the engraved pen and box, others might want to know where it came from and call me for more business.

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom