How do you make waves?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

How do you makes waves, in pen blanks that is? I want to play around with making some blanks with 2 different sides, by cutting two blanks and then swapping them out. So any ideas of how I can make gentle turns or waves, using a bandsaw? I'm thinking I need some kind of jig that could move forwards and backwards parallel to the bandsaw blade, but how could you make sure it was a smoothe movement?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Most of the people use one of those saws for intarsia - I am drawing a blank (no pun intended) as to what they're called though!!!!

Thanks Johnathan - a scroll saw!!!!

alamocdc

Angela, if you are using a 1/4" blade (or smaller) on your bandsaw you can do it. The problem is the finish that the bandsaw leaves and the trick is getting both blanks the same so the negative fits perfectly. However, if you stick them together with double stick tape and cut them both at once, you should get a good cut.

Angela
Read my section in the Segmented Pen article on the front page for starters.

On a bandsaw use a 1/8" blade. To help get a smooth cut, round over the back of the blade with a stone while the saw is running. I made a few bandsaw boxes this way and you can get a decent cut.

Use double stick tape to hold the two blanks together.

Here is the tricky part... cutting something this narrow... I would build a U shaped jig to cradle the two blanks to help them sit on the table safely, Mark you design and cut away.

If you do not get a nice cut, fold a piece of 100 grit sandpaper in half so the grit is the outside. Sandwich the paper between the two sections of wood. The idea is to sand both parts at the same time, so while holding everything together, and applying enough pressure, pull the sandpaper through. Repeat until you get a perfect glue edge. It really takes less time to do this then it takes to type it out, it's that simple.

Let me know if you need any more help.

gerryr

I've made cuts like that with my BS, but it does have a 1/4" blade. You can't make very tight turns with it though, and you have to know where your fingers are all the time.[:0]

Dario

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />I've made cuts like that with my BS, but it does have a 1/4" blade. You can't make very tight turns with it though, and <b>you have to know where your fingers are all the time</b>.[:0]

[:0][:0][:0]

vick

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />I've made cuts like that with my BS, but it does have a 1/4" blade. You can't make very tight turns with it though, and you have to know where your fingers are all the time.[:0]
In my opinion when working with very small pieces double sided tape can be your best friend. use double sided tape to affix your blanks to a larger board to provide more hand clearance.

coach

2006410225441_test1.jpg
<br />

This is my first try. I have done some pretty nice ones since, but have not taken pics. I have also done two different woods. They seem a little easier than wood and plastic. I did one that was maple and black and white swirl from Pipemakers emporium that looked great. I make mine four alternating sides. I use a bandsaw.

johnson

I usually just tuck my knees up to my chin just befor I hit the water. Really, if you use the double sticky tape? and stack cut the pieces, they should match quite nicely. I use a scroll saw when I do stuff like that.
Dale

tipusnr

I had a problem doing stacked pen blanks on my scroll saw. I couldn't get enough tension on the blade and it followed strong grain making the match when interchanging the blanks impossible. Could be my error or a cheap Sears scroll saw.

esheffield

Any suggestions for a good scroll saw blade for doing this kind of stuff? I did one of the "stringy" laminations a couple of weeks ago using a 1/8" BS blade, but wasn't very happy with the cut. Tried the scroll saw though and I think the blade I used is too dull (and/or just flat out wrong). I'm more used to scrolling fairly thin stuff (1/8 plywood) so I'm not sure what would be best for something as thick as one or two blanks. Thanks!

angboy

Originally posted by johnson
<br />I usually just tuck my knees up to my chin just befor I hit the water. Really, if you use the double sticky tape? and stack cut the pieces, they should match quite nicely. I use a scroll saw when I do stuff like that.
Dale

Good one Dale!! [:D][:D]

53Jim

Any suggestions for a good scroll saw blade for doing this kind of stuff?

I am no expert, but I would use a #7 or a #9. Anything smaller than that (I think) would be too flexible. It probably wouldn't hurt if the blade was a reverse tooth in the sizes listed.

Hope this helps,
Jim

johnson

I use a #7 blade, reverse tooth, and round over the back of the blade with a fine diamond stick or a fine slipstone. Just hold the stone lightly against the back of the blade as the saw is running. Also works great on bandsaw blades. It lets you turn a tighter radius on the curves.
Dale

Charles

I use the scroll saw with a #7 blade and spray glue a small piece of paper between the two. SPRAY the PAPER not the wood. and the paper will release it's bond easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom