How do you keep track?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

You've made 10 pens, then 50 then a hundred. How do you keep track of the wood type, metal wether chrome, 10K or 24K gold etc etc? Even keeping track of the particular model the pen is i.e. gent, slimline, sierra etc. My memory is not that good, how do you do it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lapdog

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I record the date, kit type, vendor (WC, PSI, etc.), material type, etc. Works well for me.

randyrls

You've made 10 pens, then 50 then a hundred. How do you keep track of the wood type, metal wether chrome, 10K or 24K gold etc etc? Even keeping track of the particular model the pen is i.e. gent, slimline, sierra etc. My memory is not that good, how do you do it?

I number the pens I've made and keep the Date, Number, Type, Blank, Blank Supplier, Pen Style, Pen Supplier, Disposition (customer name, donation, etc), Price, and Comments in a spreadsheet.

I put the number on the business cards I include with every pen. I only deal face-to-face, so I know pretty much where every pen goes.

This is an example:
01/01/08 334 Faux Ivory Craft Supplies 3/4 round x 5 Berea Cambridge Rollerball Lancaster Ski Club - Special Olympics Donated Jan 2008

HSTurning

I was using an excell spread sheet. I now use a version of quickbooks that allows you to make assemblies. I also put all the kits, blanks, tools supplies and all the rest in it. It is really over kill for pen making and is very expensive. I have a good friend that has it and he just added me.
I also don't let a pen leave me before I have taken a picture of it.

mrcook4570

I know all of the woods I use. I make about a dozen different styles of pens and they are each vastly different from one another. And chrome is pretty easy to tell apart from gold :wink:

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I record the date, kit type, vendor (WC, PSI, etc.), material type, etc. Works well for me.

I do the same thing... everything I turn gets a catalog number, date of turning(month & Year only), description of the item-bowl, pepper mill, pen (kit style and trim), then the wood or acrylic, the finish and then I have columns for wood cost, kit cost, total including a mark up, time factor and finally sale price.

JimMc7

Excel spreadsheet with item #, blank material, kit type/plating, completion date, material cost, selling price, sale date (hopefully!), who I sold it to and any comments (e.g., blank reverse painted with flamingo pink). I also use Google's Picasa photo management software to add the item # as text to the photo I always take of each pen or stopper (for cross-reference with the spreadsheet). Use exact name each time for pen type & blank and use EXCEL VLOOKUP function to "pull" kit & blank price into the pen description row (blank & kit prices in a separate worksheet so you only have to enter this data once). Sounds like a lot of work but only takes a minute or so per pen.

I also do a card with pen photo for each pen but that does get old after a while -- Roy (OKLAHOMAN) uses a really nice generic card which is much easier to maintain. Roy's card can be found in post #4 of this thread:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50671

ablair

by recommendation would be put all the pens in a bag or box, number the bag/box and recored those entries somewhere, wether its a notebook or excel

PaulSF

The number of pens I've screwed up far outnumbers the pens I've completed, so keeping track isn't an issue. I should be cataloging my screwups!

Rangertrek

I use a spreadsheet to keep track of my pens. The sheets have kits, blanks, boxes, etc. purchased, supplier, cost.
Another sheet has the current status of completed pens, inventory, sold, on web site, etc.
Finally, a summary sheet with sold pens, pens in stock, and inventory to show total expenses, sales, supplies, etc.
it works for me.
Penbox is also excellent.

Rmartin

I use a Brother P-touch label maker. I bought it from a local office supply. It comes with software which allows you to save different formats. For pen info, I use the 2 x 4 in 500 per roll. I need to cut just a bit off the ends and then apply to the back of one of my cards which have been signed. I list pen style, plating, body, and refill info. I also use it for shipping labels. It's very fast with no printer waste.

TylerRiddle

I have a pretty extensive background in MS Excel w/VBA programming, so I made my own inventory spreadsheet to use in conjunction with the venues in which I sell pens. I set up tables with all the kits I use, different plating options, types of pen blanks used, extras, cases, etc, and use drop down boxes to do quick selection of these items when a pen is made. Once that happens, Excel does all the calculating for me of barebones material cost, recommended wholesale, recommended resale, and profit. I then hit a button (running VBA code in the background) that will add that item to a master inventory (mine), add it to a current inventory (vendor in which they are sold), and timestamp it all so that I know when it was added to each. If the store sells a pen, they just mark the "sold" column with anything (the letter "y" is usually the marking of choice) and hit the "move to sold" button (again, more VBA code). That moves the sold item to a sales inventory (the store's means of tracking what has been sold and what is owed to me) and a master sales inventory (my personal tracking means that helps me keep tabs on most popular kit, blank, extras, case, etc. as well as total profit made). All of this is also timestamped. I also gave the store the ability to build a custom pen with an interface similar to what I use to add items to the inventory so that they can quote custom jobs on the spot with confidence. The spreadsheet is 7 tabs, 4 tabs of which are visible to the store, and all 7 tabs visible to me with a password entry at the prompt. It works well for me as it is a fluid means of tracking inventory, when it was made, when it was sold, how much it was sold for, etc. It gives me tons of useful information as well to plan out future purchases. All that needs to happen before I take a load of new items to the store is have them send me their current version so that I can add to the current inventory, then I send it back to them, with everything still in working order.

JimB

I also use an excel speadsheet and include all the info including the kit supplier and and their catalog # just to be sure I know what one it is. I also include where I got the wood from. I include an information card with every pen I sell and that has the Pen # on it so I can reference back to my spreadhseet if I need to.

Top Bottom