How do you drill a round blank on a drill press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RyanNJ

I have been clamping the blank to my jig and clamping that clamp to hold the blank but i have experienced the blank catching on the bit and melting/tearing the pads on my clamps is there a better way?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

I was lucky a buddy of mine built me a wooden vise using v blocks. I have drilled round stock easily with this. I never have had an issue with the blank riding up the bit using this. I also see guys that use a wood workers vise cut V notches and use that. Holds much better imo. Before I had a drill press vise that was metal and made my narrower V blocks. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Obviously there are drill press vises for pens starting at $50 but there are cheaper methods which seem to work just as good for me.

Last edited:

ToddMR

todd can you post a pic of your vise, mine is very crude and i would like to improve on it

Ryan I sure can. I will try to remember to take a picture tonight and post it. It's a pretty simple design none the less. Will be a couple hours before I can post it.

seamus7227

Ryan, do you have a bowl chuck? if so, you could always clamp your round blank in the chuck and use a drill chuck to drill with. You would have a much truer hole drilling it on the lathe. Not sure if this helps, just my .02

el_d

I used a parallel wood clamp I got from HF with a small notch cut into both side. May be the same thing Todds talking about. The wood clamp was like 5 buck but worked pretty good.

ToddMR

Ok here are the pictures. My wife took them, nuff said lol. Should be able to get the idea though.

vise-c.jpg
vise-b.jpg

vise.jpg

vise-a.jpg

ToddMR

I used a parallel wood clamp I got from HF with a small notch cut into both side. May be the same thing Todds talking about. The wood clamp was like 5 buck but worked pretty good.

Yep, that's what I am talking about too.

robutacion

Hi Ryan

You should be able to get on of these in the US...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• timber preparation 1589.jpg
    timber preparation 1589.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 147
  • timber preparation 1594.jpg
    timber preparation 1594.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 142
  • timber preparation 1598.jpg
    timber preparation 1598.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

phillywood

Ryan, this is what they are talking about. Just cut a V groove in the fornt portion of the jaw then clamp the hand screw to the drill press table and then your blank in the hand screw jaws between the V groove.

z303409.jpg

el_d

I used my bandsaw didnt need it to be perfect, in fact it wasnt. I just marked a "v" on both side across from each other and went at it. Glued a part of an old tire tube for better grip and it held everything I needed.

randyrls

I have been clamping the blank to my jig and clamping that clamp to hold the blank but i have experienced the blank catching on the bit and melting/tearing the pads on my clamps is there a better way?

To join the thread;
Ryan; You may need to sharpen your drill bit. A piece of 80 grit sandpaper wrapped around the blank with the sandpaper against the blank will improve the grip of whatever you use to hold the blank.

ldb2000

At $100 for that vise you could buy a collet chuck and drill chuck and drill on the lathe . It's much more accurate and the collet chuck is useful for other things , like holding blanks for facing (eliminates the need for a barrel trimmer) and any kind of modified kit work , like closed ended pens and is required if you ever want to do any kitless work . George (texatdurango) has a tutorial about drilling on the lathe , I think it might be in the library or it is in the Advanced penmaking forum . I will look for it and post a link .

Last edited:

ToddMR

At $100 for that vise you could buy a collet chuck and drill chuck and drill on the lathe . It's much more accurate and the collet chuck is useful for other things , like holding blanks for facing (eliminates the need for a barrel trimmer) and any kind of modified kit work , like closed ended pens and is required if you ever want to do any kitless work . George (texatdurango) has a tutorial about drilling on the lathe , I think it might be in the library or it is in the Advanced penmaking forum . I will look for it and post a link .

Butch I agree on this point. If your going to spend the money anyhow, get the other stuff to do it on the lathe. As I have said in the past, had I known then what I know now I wouldn't have bought the dp. But hey it works good enough for me for now. Maybe some day I will have the collet etc.

ldb2000

You will need a collet chuck to fit the headstock of your lathe and a drill chuck to fit your tailstock . If you use 3/4" round stock you can just chuck them up but if you use square stock you will need somekind of center for your headstock and your live center for the tailstock .

DurocShark

What do i need to drill on the lathe?

Ideally, a collet chuck and a jacobs drill chuck with a MT taper to match your tailstock.

I don't have a collet chuck, I have a scroll chuck (a couple in fact). Super-precision takes more effort. But even without that effort the hole is more accurate, the cut cleaner, and my tailstock has way less runout than my drill press.

I got the drill chuck for the tailstock at Harbor Freight. $6 or so. It and the scroll chuck can be used for other things too. The collet chuck can too. And you'd still be under the $100 for the other stuff.

DurocShark

PSI's Barracuda line of scroll chucks is decent. But you can go to your local Woodcraft or Rockler for others.

IIRC PennState sells decent collet chucks, but I'll let Butch answer for those.

ldb2000

Ryan , here is the tutorial for drilling on the lathe http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/lathedrilling.pdf

Just as a suggestion , and I don't want to catch any flack from anyone for saying this , You really should go through the Library and check out the articles there . There is a tremendous amount of information there that you might find useful . Also learn how to use the search feature that the forum has . Almost any question you might ever have has already been asked several times and the information could be a valuable reference .

RyanNJ

Ryan , here is the tutorial for drilling on the lathe http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/lathedrilling.pdf

Just as a suggestion , and I don't want to catch any flack from anyone for saying this , You really should go through the Library and check out the articles there . There is a tremendous amount of information there that you might find useful . Also learn how to use the search feature that the forum has . Almost any question you might ever have has already been asked several times and the information could be a valuable reference .
Thanks for the tip... the worst part is i read that article last week (must have been finals that got to me this week)

ldb2000

There are several vendors that sell collet chucks and scroll chucks , PSI , CSUSA and Woodcraft are the top three .
Collet chucks are the most accurate type of chuck but are really only useful for pens . Scroll chucks are useful for turning bowls and boxes and other things including pens but are much more expensive then collet chucks and not quite as accurate . Which is better is something you will have to decide based on what you are going to do with it . I have both and use them quite often but for doing pens I only use the collet chuck . The PSI collet chuck is the most cost effective of the collet chucks and is the one I have . It comes with the chuck body and 5 collets in a useful range of sizes , 2 tommy bars for tightening the chuck when extra grip is needed but the chuck body is knurled so you can tighten it by hand most of the time . It also comes in a fitted case so you can keep it together and not have to go looking for your collets or tommy bars when you need them . You can buy it from PSI or some of their resellers for around $90 or if you wait for a sale you can sometimes get it on Amazon for around $75 w/free shipping .

Last edited:
Top Bottom