How do you drill on lathe with big drill bits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dennisg

I've been drilling my blanks on my lathe. I got the drill bit set from the group buy and need a jacobs chuck larger than half inch. Any suggestions? My drill press is not accurate nor does it have a large enough chuck. I want to use at 37/64 for a kit I just got. thanks, dennis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

Agreed. Your solution is to buy a different chuck. I suppose that you could also make do with an appropriately sized collet chuck, but I'd just buy another Jacobs chuck.

rjwolfe3

I have the same problem. I bought the bit set from the group buy. I'm using it as a good reason to buy another tool, lol. But I will have to wait till tax return because of the price of them.

bitshird

I'm surprised that the 37/64 was not a silver deming style which would have basically a three cornered shaft with three flats on it to use in a 1/2 inch chuck, if not it presents a priority purchase of a 5/8 drill chuck, they are pretty easy to find on feeBay with an mt2 taper mounting shaft

dennisg

Thanks guys, I took Jim's advice and went to that ebay supplier. I got the half inch chuck with the 2MT. It should be here in 4 or 5 days. I searched ebay earlier and didn't find any. I should be all set now. Thanks again. dennis

Daniel

I just want to say I really blew it in the group buy by not having these bits listed as Straight shank. I have no excuse except simply being overwhelmed. I wrote descriptions several times and no i had that included. But through editing etc it must have gotten deleted. That is still not an excuse in my mind as I knew full well that these bits where straight shank and that could cause problems for some people.

I will also repeat that a 1/2" chuck is not going to work for you. that is what you already have so I hope that was a typo. 5/8 inch chuck is large enough to hold every bit in the set.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Under the heading: "pragmatic experiment" - you COULD hold it with your scroll chuck, small jaws. A little on the "improvised" side, but it might work!!!

rherrell

Dennis, the MT2 adapter on that chuck looks kinda long so you'll probably want to shorten it. I would shorten it enough so you can start at zero on your tailstock scale, assuming you have a scale on yours. Extend your tailstock and insert the chuck, retract until the chuck bottoms out, read the scale and cut that much off plus 1/4" or so.

Top Bottom