How do you cut the notch?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PMisiaszek

I'm at the assembly stage of my first CSUSA Rollerball pen, and I'm faced with cutting the notch for the cap and clip assembly. My fancy burl blank is polished and looking great. The pen is assembled except for this step. I'd hate to screw it up at this point, but the instructions are a bit vague and I thought I'd check with you before tackling this new pen-making skill.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tea Clipper

I make a paper template of the notch out of an index card and then tape it to the cap. Then I use a Dremel with a grinding bit (cone shaped, fyi I don't have a very good bit selection) and grind out the notch. Although it works, I'd like to know if there's a better way.

alamocdc

I forgot to mention that I use a fine tip Sharpie to mark the notch before I use the cutoff wheel. Much the same process as you use, Ron. However, I find that I get a more square notch with the cutoff wheel than I can with anything else. A coping saw might work too. I just happen to have a Dremel so that's what I use.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by PMisiaszek
<br />Oh man... another way to screw up a perfectly good pen!

It's not a pen until its assembled!! Right now its an assemblage of parts.[}:)][}:)]

Really what they have told you is correct and the tolerances are not real critical, when you put the clip in, it hides a little "slop". So cheer up, get your trifocals on and go to work with great confidence![:p][:p]

See tagline for discouragement!![:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom