How to do prepare your pen turning material?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CharlesH

Hey guys,

Here is what I do!

I like to have on hand rounded blanks faced ready to be turned!

So when I get a itch for turning a pen, it really motivate me since most of the job is done. Basically I can concentrate on the fit and finish! :)

On that picture you can see a few of the blanks I have on hand. As you can tell, I like afzelia burl and cocobolo burl. ;)

Clicky the picture for color explosion!

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CharlesH

9th is Hondurian Rosewood Burl.

The big block is the most awesome afzelia burl block I have ever seen. It's black, yellow, orange, green... I did prepare a few blanks of it and they are stunning and the best part is not cut up yet, I am still hesitant!

Charles

What is the 9th blank in from the left? I too would like to know what that big block is.

phillywood

Charles, very nice. I have two Qsns.. First, How do you know which kit you have prepared them for from your pic. they look different sizes or did you mark what kit they are for?
Second, are you suing a duplicator for turning these blanks round they all look like that they are rounded to certain diameter?

CharlesH

I am a lazy turner these days. Most of them are Aero's, I turn 2 kits mostly: Gentlemen Jr and Aero.

The first two sets are Gent's Jr and the two last ones are slimline, the rest is Aero! :)

It seems I got some consistency, I just turn them round without really caring about the diameter!

Charles

Charles, very nice. I have two Qsns.. First, How do you know which kit you have prepared them for from your pic. they look different sizes or did you mark what kit they are for?
Second, are you suing a duplicator for turning these blanks round they all look like that they are rounded to certain diameter?

soligen

I sometimes do this too, and I put the tubed blanks in the plastic bag with the kit I intend to use them with. That way weeks (or hours lol) later I'm not confused.

If I dont know what kit I want to use, I will turn the blanks round to 3/4 so they are ready to drill in the collet chuck once I decide on the kit.

soligen

Darn it, I ended a sentence with a preposition. LOL

Try this one:
I sometimes do this too, and I put the tubed blanks in the plastic bag with the kit for which I intend to use them.

DurocShark

Darn it, I ended a sentence with a preposition. LOL

Try this one:
I sometimes do this too, and I put the tubed blanks in the plastic bag with the kit for which I intend to use them.

I do this on occasion. But most of the time I don't know what I want to use on a kit until it's time to turn the blank.

Removing the corners on a wooden blank is fast and easy (usually). The resin blanks take longer to round, so most of my home brewed blanks are cast in round pipe. Easy peasy. :wink:

leestoresund

There are days when I feel productive but not precise.
On those days I turn blanks round.
I try to turn them to 3/4" because that will fit in my collet chuck.

It makes precision days easier and gives me an idea of what the blank will look like when finished.

So, I second your idea.

mrburls

I like to turn my blanks to 20mm so they are ready to drill on the lathe and I can see just what I'm going to get when I turn that pen. Plus I can get the best of the blank when I mark blank to cut for tube length.

I do this when I just don't feel like working on pens. But what usually happens is I come across an awesome blank and can't wait to turn it later.

Here's a picture of a few burls and my little amboyna burl slab I recently got. Should give quiet a few blanks:biggrin:

Keith "mrburls"

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 169

CharlesH

Rock on Keith, awesome wood as always! :)

Charles

I like to turn my blanks to 20mm so they are ready to drill on the lathe and I can see just what I'm going to get when I turn that pen. Plus I can get the best of the blank when I mark blank to cut for tube length.

I do this when I just don't feel like working on pens. But what usually happens is I come across an awesome blank and can't wait to turn it later.

Here's a picture of a few burls and my little amboyna burl slab I recently got. Should give quiet a few blanks:biggrin:

Keith "mrburls"

alphageek

Former Moderator
Wow... that is an interesting idea for sure..... Gonna have to think about that. Its not my style, but it may be a really good idea for me. It would make the final turning alot faster and let me choose the best blanks for the best hardware.

el_d

Dang It!! You guys cut it out.:mad:

Stop with the nice blank pics I get jealous.:frown:

At least label the blanks.:rolleyes:

Nice stuff too Kieth, Whats the the 5th one from the left??

Very nice slab, gonna cut into it any time soon?

mrburls

Blanks are from left to right:

Douglas Fir or Hemlock Burl
Spalted Hackberry
Yellow Cedar Burl
Brown Mallee Burl
Spalted Big Leaf Maple
Amboyna Burl
Teak Burl
Black and White Ebony Burl
Red (not dyed) Box Elder Burl
Chittum Burl
Cocobolo Burl

As for the big block of Amboyna Burl, I may save for awhile. Been cutting up alot of amboyna burl like that lately and stashing away for a rainy day.

Keith "mrburls"

keithkarl2007

I keep coming back to this thread to see the Afzelia block and I just thought maybe we should start a thread where guys and gals could show off their premium materials.

greggas

Charles' post , and Keith's follow up posts demonstrate a point that REALLY improved my pen quality when I started rounding the blanks be before selecting, drilling, etc. Prior to this I would select a piece and then many times be rather disappointed with the resulting grain after turning the pen. Pre-rounding the blanks opened up the door to a much better selection of blanks for specific pen kits and clients

Jgrden

From where did you obtain your signature statement???? Reminds me of Poncho Villa in Antelope Valley, CA.

Top Bottom