How Do Magnetic Caps Work?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chewy3939

How do pens with a magnetic cap work? Is there a doughnut magnet in the grip to barrel transition and one in the cap? Is there just one magnet and the other piece is a ferrous metal? How do these types of kits work? How do they post? Is the way they post similar to the Caran d'Ache RNX316 ( Fountain pen RNX.316 PVD Black Finishing) If not, does anyone know how that pen posts?

Thankyou! I sincerely appreciate any help you can offer.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

There is a single magnetic ring in the cap right at the bottom, where it connects to the pen body. The magnet connects to the writing end and the bottom end.

The pen in your link does not show or mention that the cap posts. Since they do not refer to posting in any way, I would assume that it doesn't post.

BradG

Magical attraction thingies? :biggrin:

Chewy may I ask what it is you want to achieve? Are you making a kitless pen and want to make the lid magnetic etc? Neodymium, (rare earth) are brilliant magnets.. really strong. I ebay'ed ring magnets and found over 4000 results. have a trawl through them and you should fine one with a dimension to suit your application

ring magnet | eBay

jttheclockman

It is funny you ask this question because I just posted to Mark's post about a slew of Zen pens he made. In it I commented I made one Zen pen which has the magnetic cap. Here is the one I refer to. I was thinking of adding this type pen to my selling group but not sure how I feel about it. It was explained how the magnet works and yes this pen is postable. The problem I see with it is the cap moves and when it is put in the pocket I am afraid the cap will come off. Still not sure how I feel about them but then again I have not really put it through its paces enough.

To make comment about availability, I remember Skiprat (Steven) made his own magnetic cap pen. If you do a search for it you can find the thread. He makes mention of where to get the magnets and what kind he used and much more. I am sorry I do not have the time to do the search. Good luck.

Top Bottom