How do I stop this spinning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scoutharps

[?]Yes, I'm a nube. Yes, I've gotton a lot of good info here. And yes, I've attempted to check out the search engine...so far unsuccesfully, probably because I don't even know enough to use the right words yet! But I've got a real problem, so if it is beat to death one, pleae forgive me, and point me in the right direction!

So, the problem: I finally got my blanks drilled, and glued the tube in one. This is for the classic american set from Woodcraft, currently I'm trying to do the magnifying glass, because I thought I'd do something easy first. Got the ends trimmed, mounted it on the mandrell, got the mandrell on the lathe, turned it on, and all looked great. BUT...when I try to use any tools (yes, they are sharp)the mandrell spins and the blank is sitting still, and not getting turned. I've tried tightening the tailstock, remounting, checking my bushings and changing speeds. I've run out of ideas. What else can be tried? I'm sure I'm not the first one who has had this problem

Again, thanks for putting up with another of those beginer questions.[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

The times I've had this problem was when the tube became loose in the blank. Mostly when using CA to glue. Now I use epoxy and let it sit overnight. This may not be your problem but it helped me. Just a thought.:D

Phillip

Try snugging down on the knurled nut a bit. This will create a bit more friction between the bushings and the blank. Be careful and don't overtighten it, this will cause your mandrel to bow and you will have an elliptical pen afterwards. Just a thought.

Verne

Bushings? Or as mentioned, glue. I still have occasion when glue lets go of the blank.
Good luck.
Vern

les-smith

There may be a chance that when you tighten the nut on the mandrel that it is bottoming out/stopping at the end of the threads. I've had this happen and now I use an extra 7mm bushing to make sure the nut has plenty of threads to tighten every thing down. Hope this makes sense.

loglugger

Did you thighen the nut against the bushings that would do more good than tightening the tail stock. Don't tighten the tail stock very tight or it will bow the mandrel, tighten just enough to make the live center turn.
Bob

scoutharps

I used medium wt CA glue. It seemed to set up pretty fast. I waited about 15 minutes or so, which I thought would be plenty, since I had tried to glue a tube half an hour before and it set up before I even got it all the way into the blank! So, that seems like a good thing to start with. And the bolt getting tighter--the one on the mandrel itself, right? at the far right end of the whole bushing/blank aseembly? In order for the blank to spin around the tube, it had to have broken completly loose. So, is there a way to push the tube out so I can reglue? Supply shops are in short supply here. I have a choice of Home Depot and Lowe's here in town, or Woodcraft 45 minutes away. Is there a glue that I can use that I can find in someplace local? Oh yes, we also have a Walmart!

scoutharps

I forgot--I am using the correct bushings, because it is the only set I have! I wanted to make whole desk sets with a mahogany board my grandfather brought back from the Belgian Congo nearly 50 years ago as a missionary. There are five of us kids, and my Mom, so I thought this would be a way to preserve a bit of family history for us in a usable form. Any ideas would be appreciated if you folks can head me a direction that may be more suitable to a novice! Thanks again.

rjwolfe3

If the tube have become loose, it is possible to push them out and reglue them. I was able to do that with some of mine. I read somewhere about soaking the blank in something to loosen the glue, hopefully someone with a better memory can tell you what. I would look for 5 or 15 min epoxy and give it time to set up, the longer the better IMHO. The box stores should have that or even an auto parts store. (My biggest problem was waiting long enough for the blank to dry.) If your mandrel is adjustable, make sure that your last bushing is sitting over the threads about 3-4 threads to make sure that you are not bottoming out. I'm fairly new to this myself, but I figured I would try to help. (To those that have been around awhile, if I made some mistakes feel free to correct them.:D[:p])

Dario

Originally posted by les-smith

There may be a chance that when you tighten the nut on the mandrel that it is bottoming out/stopping at the end of the threads. I've had this happen and now I use an extra 7mm bushing to make sure the nut has plenty of threads to tighten every thing down. Hope this makes sense.

I agree and think so too.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by les-smith

most likely

rimo

I have encountered this same problem in the past. For me it was not tightening the nut enough on the mandrel. I was too concerned with over tightening the nut and bending the mandrel. After snugging the nut up a bit, the blank stopped spinning. Now I set the nut about an 1/8 to 1/4 turn past finger tight. I haven't had the problem since and the mandrel is still straight.

Good luck

randyrls

Originally posted by rimo

I have encountered this same problem in the past. For me it was not tightening the nut enough on the mandrel. I was too concerned with over tightening the nut and bending the mandrel. After snugging the nut up a bit, the blank stopped spinning. Now I set the nut about an 1/8 to 1/4 turn past finger tight. I haven't had the problem since and the mandrel is still straight.

Good luck

To Join the Thread; Before gluing in the brass tube, use sandpaper or crocus (plumbers) cloth to scuff up the brass tubes. The tubes have a lacquer applied to them that can weaken / prevent / break the glue bond.

Hope this helps.....

scoutharps

Progress report--I tried pushing on the edge of the brass tube, and it slid right out. I scuffed it up some more--this time with a coarse sandpaper--and ran the drill bit through the hole in the balnk. The I put lots of glue inside the blank--probably way more than I needed, I had not planned on it running out the other end. twisted the blank and tube together a few times, and it is now sitting. One advantage of being messy--I have glue drops i can use to check on the hardening. So far, not quite 2 hours and they are still not set. So we know what at least part of the problem was! Thanks all, and more news as it comes in....:)

Rmartin

You can turn blanks without using glue, so I doubt that's your problem. Unless, your brass was sticking out of the ends. Use enough spacers (extra slimline bushing are good for this) and tighten the nut.

Now that you have glue everywhere, make sure you clean it out of the inside of the brass tubes. Next time, try sealing the ends with playdough, plumbers putty, potato, ect..

scoutharps

Good thought on the plugging the tubes up. I'll have to try that. Meanwhile, and much foot stomping and another trip in to WC, I AM TURNING, NOT SPINNING!!!!!!!!Whee! He showed me how to shorten up my mandrell, tossed my little wood spacer, and it is working! I didn't get home till late, and I have to get the bathroom empty tonight (new floor having to go in, the old wood is water damaged beyond repair), so I can't do much tonight--but it is round, nearly down to size, and looking good! This is big leaf maple. Next is to try looking up those finishing clips on youtube.Thanks guys!

RonInSpringTX

Valerie, was gonna suggest you scuff your blanks with 220 grit sandpaper (twist the tube inside piece of folded sandpaper) but you said you did rough it up. Make sure your drill bit is straight & the right size for the tubes you're gluing. Possibly old/bad CA glue. The mandrel may have become unscrewed a little from the morse taper. What type of wood/acrylic is it?? Better to put the glue on the tube then twist it in than inside the blank, now you have a bunch of CA to scrape out before it'll fit on the mandrel/bushings.

Ronnie

randyrls

Originally posted by Rmartin

You can turn blanks without using glue, so I doubt that's your problem. Unless, your brass was sticking out of the ends. Use enough spacers (extra slimline bushing are good for this) and tighten the nut.

Now that you have glue everywhere, make sure you clean it out of the inside of the brass tubes. Next time, try sealing the ends with playdough, plumbers putty, potato, ect..

I had problems assembling pens. I couldn't get the blank to seat tight against the fittings. Found out my pen mill was not milling the brass tube even with the blank. There was a brass "ridge" that stood out proud of the blank. Drove me crazy!

Dental wax works for me. I use an exacto knife with a long thin blade to remove any glue inside the tube. I also use a chamfering tool aka cartridge deburrer to chamfer the end of the brass tube.

Top Bottom