How do I remove the brass tube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew_K99

As noted above turn off the dead blank.

In the future consider ordering additional tubes with new kits you buy. I buy 3 sets (if ordering 10 or more kits) so I have them as insurance. I don't order more unless I've had to use them.

AK

Drstrangefart

I also use a birthday candle to heat the tube up from the inside enough to cause the glue to let go. Normally I just turn the material off, but sometimes it's a different issue requiring rescue of the tube AND the blank.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I also use a birthday candle to heat the tube up from the inside enough to cause the glue to let go. Normally I just turn the material off, but sometimes it's a different issue requiring rescue of the tube AND the blank.

Someday, this WILL happen to you. So, if you use each blowup as a chance to try a technique to save the blank, it is probably time well spent.

I never found a way to save blanks--but I threw away my mistakes---destroy the evidence!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Drstrangefart

Someday, this WILL happen to you. So, if you use each blowup as a chance to try a technique to save the blank, it is probably time well spent.

I never found a way to save blanks--but I threw away my mistakes---destroy the evidence!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

One of the side effects of being broke is you become a jury-rigging ninja.

pauly99

So if a brass tube went into an acrylic blank 3/4 of the way in and got stuck because the CA cured too fast, how might you remove the tube to save the acrylic blank?

JD Combs Sr

I have had that happen to me in the past and just cut the tub off flush with the blank then glued another one into the other end of the blank. Just made sure I turned that particular one with a fairly fat center. I had to ream a little glue out of the other end of the blank before installing the second piece but just running in the drill bit by hand that I used to drill the blank took care of that.

Soaking in actone dose work good if you have a plenty of time. Or if you have spare tubing.Yes turning off is good.Little risky. I'm about as likely to carefully use a knife,skew,or parting tool to split the wood off.But "do" be carefull.With out the carefull part we might miss the fun part.

plantman

As noted above turn off the dead blank.

In the future consider ordering additional tubes with new kits you buy. I buy 3 sets (if ordering 10 or more kits) so I have them as insurance. I don't order more unless I've had to use them.

AK

Let me add this to Andrews suggestion. Order extra tubes in 10" lengths in several sizes. It's cheaper, and you always have the correct length or any custom length you want. Jim S

plantman

So if a brass tube went into an acrylic blank 3/4 of the way in and got stuck because the CA cured too fast, how might you remove the tube to save the acrylic blank?

:rolleyes::rolleyes: I always keep a vice open to about 2" inches on my bench. Put the tube and blank in the vice and close. The inner part of the tube has not set yet, and this will break the end bonds and the tube will slide in. Works every time and I have never broken a blank. Also I allways use gap filling CA when inserting tubes, it give you a little more time before it sets up. If you are using acrylic blanks, make sure you let them cool after drilling before inserting tubes. Jim S

pauly99

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I did not even think about using the vice before reading this, so the tube has definitely set.

Now if I soak in acetone, will I eat away at the acrylic or cloud the acrylic. I don't mind spending the extra time to get the tube out but I don't want to damage the blank if at all possible.

Otherwise I will just end up cutting off the tube at the end of the blank and gluing in a partial tube on the other side. Yes, I ordered extra kits and some extra tubes for such an occasion. :eek:

Andrew_K99

I'd be cautious about gluing in a second tube. The tube acts as the structure for the blank, which depending on the kit is quite thin. If its in two pieces you have a weak point which when stressed may split the blank.

AK

plantman

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I did not even think about using the vice before reading this, so the tube has definitely set.

Now if I soak in acetone, will I eat away at the acrylic or cloud the acrylic. I don't mind spending the extra time to get the tube out but I don't want to damage the blank if at all possible.

Otherwise I will just end up cutting off the tube at the end of the blank and gluing in a partial tube on the other side. Yes, I ordered extra kits and some extra tubes for such an occasion. :eek:

Try the vice anyway. Worst you can do is distort the end of the tube. If that happens, go to plan B, cut the tube off. Jim S

pauly99

Any 2nd's for putting the whole darn acrylic blank in acetone to get the tube out? Otherwise I can try what you recommend Jim when I get home from work.

Justturnin

As said, turn most of the material off and soak in Acetone to remove the rest. I try not to turn to the brass because I don't want to damage it. CA and Epoxy will typically let got in a couple of hours of soaking.

Top Bottom