How do I prevent seeing tube through thin turned blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SoloWorx

I love some of the acrylics. However some like any pearlescent, silks, and others, the tube can be seen when the blank is turned to the final diameter and the blank wall thickness is thin. You can see the CA glue and any air pockets in the glue. The brass color tube also discoloration the blank when thin.

On occasion I have used the white tubes from PSI with good result but those are only 3 standard sizes. I have tried to paint my own tubes and the results are mixed

What do the pros do to make the ID of the blank opaque? Paint the ID of the blank? Paint the tube in a flat paint so the glue adheres? I want the acrylics to look like they should and not tinged by the tube. If painted, should you use white, black or try to closely color match?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SoloWorx

So model paint painted in the ID of the drilled blank closely color matched is the ticket? Then you still sand and CA glue the tube inside the blank? The CA doesn't attack the paint and the paint is a good substrate to link the glue to the acrylic?

toddlajoie

I usually give the blank 2 coats of model paint,similar color, or black/white/silver if I think that will work with the blank to darken or lighten the patterning. Then I use 2 part 5 minute epoxy with a drop or 2 of the same paint mixed into it. Never had good luck with CA adhesion on any blanks...

randyrls

Brandon; All acrylic blanks should get spray paint on the inside of the drilled hole. Drill the hole, hold the blank in a latex gloved hand, and give it two seconds from a spray can at each end. White usually works, but you can change the look of a blank by using different colors. These two pens started out as identical pearlescent white blanks. One was painted with hot pink, the other with light blue.

Rough up the brass tube and glue as normal.

Lots of folk with different opinions on this. Many will paint the inside of the blank. Some will use spray paint, some will use model paint, I (and others) use acrylic paint. I will often also paint the tube - kind of a "belt and suspenders" thing. Suggest you experiment and find what you like best.
One other thing: When you paint, you are actually reducing the diameter of the hole in the blank. If the tube fits too tight, it'll scrape the paint off, Not good. So I also take the extra step of sanding the inside of the blank. Wrap some 220 around a dowel and sand lightly. Then paint and test the fit before glue up.
An extra - I prefer to use a 2-part epoxy when I glue up. CA is easy but it and expanding polyurethane glue (Gorilla-type) seems to get brittle with age. Haven't seen any studies about this but the epoxy works well.

jttheclockman

I love some of the acrylics. However some like any pearlescent, silks, and others, the tube can be seen when the blank is turned to the final diameter and the blank wall thickness is thin. You can see the CA glue and any air pockets in the glue. The brass color tube also discoloration the blank when thin.

On occasion I have used the white tubes from PSI with good result but those are only 3 standard sizes. I have tried to paint my own tubes and the results are mixed

What do the pros do to make the ID of the blank opaque? Paint the ID of the blank? Paint the tube in a flat paint so the glue adheres? I want the acrylics to look like they should and not tinged by the tube. If painted, should you use white, black or try to closely color match?

Go to the SEARCH feature here. Type in Reverse painting and you will get a slew of responses that will not only tell you what most people do in that case but will show many examples of what a blank looks like when colored with different colors. Wealth of info. Lot more to the answer you are looking for than what has been mentioned. Lots of good tips too. Happy reading.

jasontg99

I have tried Testor's paints, acrylic paints, and spray paint. I found Testor's to be too thin and need multiple coats. Many times, by the time I got a good paint coverage, the tube would scrape half the paint off due to being so thick. Same story with a few colors of acrylic paints. The spray paint is the quickest and easiest method to ensure a thin, but complete layer of paint. I use Rustoleum Ultra Cover 2X. They have every color you will ever need.

Jason

kooster

I also found the Testor's paint too thin and using 15 epoxy, the tube did not adhere very well. I did rough up the tube prior to the epoxy.
After 24 hrs. of drying time, the tube literally pushed out while I was using a barrel trimmer to square the ends. Unfortunately I didn't notice and shortened one end of the blank. Tried Rustoleum spray on a previous project and sprayed the tube prior to the epoxy. Worked extremely well. You'll just have to experiment as suggested but try to make certain you'll be able to repair as needed.

Jim Burr

Banned
So many possibilities!! Black to cover, silver to highlight, white to brighten. This really is a trial and error thing. I like silver or black. Take a chance and see what you get!

Wingdoctor

Lot's of methods here! I use Krylon Fusion spray Paint, made for plastic. I spray the hole, let dry for 24 hours, sand the tube and glue in using 5 min. epoxy. The epoxy doesn't hurt the paint and the blank is ready to turn in 15 minutes or so. Choose a color to match the blank or use a contrasting shade to change the appearance. I like black a lot, but that is me. I do use other colors and it pays to experiment to see what YOU like.

Top Bottom