How do I make a closed end pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

You need some way to hold the pen barrels...a pin chuck is one tool that will work. The only downside to pin chucks is that you need one for each size of tube. James Mann (Fangar) makes and sells them. If you will email me I will send you a diagram of how I do closed end pens using the 7mm mandrel and it works no matter what kit I'm doing. I just found a skitch of how I do these so here it is. And a picture of a pic chuck follows.

2006629173717_solberg%20method.jpg
<br />

I don't know where I got this pin chuck picture. It may be a picture of one that James Mann made, if so, may I use it James? Thanks Fangar. (n fact it is one that James made. Take a look: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15208

2006629173757_pinchuck.jpg
<br />

There may be other or better ways, but both of these work for me.

do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Penmonky
<br />I just odered a bunch of Jr. Gents and want to make some closed end pens from them. What tools do I need?

Dario

Don,

Neat Idea.

How are you making sure that the 1/4" hole at the inner most part is centered when you are drilling? Are you using a sleeve/shim similar to that in the end mill?

its_virgil

Thanks Dario, but the idea is not mine. John Solberg (deere41h) showed it to me and others have used it. I drill on the lathe. Drill the hole for the tube first then change to the 1/4" bit and drill the smaller hole. It seems to center rather closely. I should think it would work on the drill press if the vice is not moved....just change bits and the smaller one should be centered. I have started drilling the 1/4" hole just a little smaller and grinding two or three flats around the threded end of the mandrel and screwing it into the hole. Helps to hold better. Then when the pen is finished I use a 1/4" bit in a hand drill to open the hole just a little. Some careful measurements must be taken to allow the RB refill room to have room. The spring must fit into the 1/4" hole also.

Totally finish the pen...sanding and finishing..and after parting off the end where the tail stock is, use some masking tape and tape the bushing end to the mandrel. This will hold well enough to drive the pen barrel so the very tip (where you parted off) can be sanded and finished. This really works well and no need for various size pen chucks. But, I like the pen chucks also.

I do hope this makes some sense...maybe another article...Huh?

Good luck and ...
Do a good turn daily~
Don
Originally posted by Dario
<br />Don,

Neat Idea.

How are you making sure that the 1/4" hole at the inner most part is centered when you are drilling? Are you using a sleeve/shim similar to that in the end mill?

LanceD

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Don,

Neat Idea.

When I do a closed end Baron I drill the blank on the lathe with the 25/64 bit to the required depth then use a 7mm bit to finish off the rest of the hole. The hole is always centered when drilling on the lathe.

Dario

Thanks Don,

I have no problem centering on my PH vise since it is mounted permanently to the DP table [:D]...but still want to make sure that the 1/4" hole is dead center...else it may cause some problem...not that it will be visible or noticed though. [;)]

An article will probably be warranted [;)]

Just remembered...my DeWalt drill bits with pilot ends will surely come handy doing this type of drilling [:D].

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I use a s;ightly different technique. Everything is the same, except there not a pilot hole in the bottom of the brass tube to worry about getting straingt and concentric. I grind a spade end on the mandrel and make a filler sleeve piece to fill in between the tube and the mandrel, The spade drives the blank and the sleave keeps it centered on the mandrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom