How do i know when to buy new MM

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
or if you let too many spots get too hot and it removes the abrasive surface. Once that starts to happen, it won't be long till it's time for a new piece.

Do like i do, and cut each sheet into 4 equal parts. That way, when you wear out the first sheet, you have three more!

ToddMR

I have a couple spots off the first two only because from when I first started I let them get too hot. However they are all working well. The part about cutting them into 1/4ths is a good idea. My buddy did that a while back. I am sure I could use some new ones, but for now not worried about it since mine are working ok.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yes, and you seriously can wash them to get the abrasive clean.

Now, mom would probably prefer you use a small container of water..................

ToddMR

Yes, and you seriously can wash them to get the abrasive clean.

Now, mom would probably prefer you use a small container of water..................

Ed,

Wash them how exactly? I tired soaking in some soapy water once, didn't seem to do to much.

Phunky_2003

Ed,

Wash them how exactly? I tired soaking in some soapy water once, didn't seem to do to much.

I get one of the wifes knee highs and wash mine in those tie a knot in the end. Just throw them in the washer when the wife isn't looking. I dont dry mine, just wash and lay out in shop.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I washed mine, laid it out to dry then discovered my cats like to steal it. It's one of their favorite play toys. At least they have clean teeth. Guess it's time for new.

pensmyth

I noticed that the last couple of pens I did the CA finish wasn't as smooth and had small ridges. Switched to new pads and now they're smooth as glass. I clean mine with warm water a little dish soap and a small nylon bristled brush gently scrub rinse and dry.

nava1uni

I wash mine in the sink with a little dish washer detergent. Just gently squeeze the soap through the MM several times, rinse well ( I do this until the water runs clear with no residue), then I put them on paper towels and let them dry.

phillywood

I wash mine in the sink with a little dish washer detergent. Just gently squeeze the soap through the MM several times, rinse well ( I do this until the water runs clear with no residue), then I put them on paper towels and let them dry.
Her way sounds easy and makes sense. I thought I saw a video on you tube telling that you don't have to get rid of them if you clean them. Like lasting for years unless I am wrong.

Parson

I scrub mine with an old toothbrush under water.

BTW, those that are cutting up them up into four's are probably buying the 3x4 sheets and not the 2x2's :)

B727phixer

I also wash mine with my uniforms throw them in the dryer along with a dryer sheet,
they come out April fresh no static cling and its going on 4 years with the same set!:eek: Wow maybe I should replace them...I'm still washing the same 2 pieces of Abranet too...:biggrin:

snyiper

One of the members here told me he wipes them across a cotton t shirt and that does a real good job of getting them clean.....

workinforwood

I have a couple that are starting to seperate, but the abrasive is still good as new. Been using the same set of pads for about 4 yrs now. I never wash them either, but I only use them for wet sanding anyhow, so they get wet every time.

RHunter

Local Chapter Leader
When I take my "shop clothes" off in the laundry room, I put half my MM Pads in one sock and tie a knot in it- and do the same with the other half.

SWMBO pulls these knotted socks out and they don't go in the dryer- so I just air dry the MM.

I haven't lost a MM Pad yet, but if the Sock Monster gets me, he will be getting an extra treat... :biggrin:

-Doug

Top Bottom