How do I fix a loose slimline?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

I have made a few slimlines that after I assemble it and use it awhile,the upper barrel slips a little on the trans when turning it either way.

I applied blue locktite to a few,only to find then that the are forever stuck so changing the refill down the road is impossable.I experimented and only put just a tiny bit on there,and that fixes it,except If I sell it to a customer,I can't expect them to know how to reapply Lock-tite....

So any ideas on how to make a permanent fix? I wish they made a tranny with ribs or knurling of some sort.

It doesn't happen on all of my pens,but enough that it bugs me.

Thanks for any tips!

Take care,
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

if you look at a transmission you will see two little bumps on the sides. It is these bumps that grab onto the upper barrel. You can take a small punch and make 2 dimples, one on each side. Use a light weight hammer and don't make them too deep. This will help the upper barrel grab onto the transmission and you will have solved the problem.

Sylvanite

Option 2: Place the end of the transmission in a vise (aligned so that the contact points are not touching the jaws) and pinch it a little. Don't over squeeze it -- enough to make it slightly out-of-round but not so much that it won't fit into the upper barrel tube.

Option 3: Put a drop of thin CA glue on the inside of the upper barrel tube. Roll the barrel horizontally so that the glue spreads around the tube inner circumference. Let it cure. This will reduce the tube inside diameter a tiny bit. Repeat if necessary until you get a good fit on the transmission.

I hope that helps,
Eric

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Another solution is to "paint" the inside of the tube with a VERY THIN coating of paint or ca. Let it dry BEFORE assembling the tube over the tranny. I have found there are slight differences in the I.D. of some tubes and this will help get the friction fit to work better. If you get too much in there a transfer punch wrapped in fine grit sandpaper will allow you to remove it down to where it fits snug but still will slide over the tranny.

I see Eric posted a similar thing while my fat fingers were typing.:)

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have made a few slimlines that after I assemble it and use it awhile,the upper barrel slips a little on the trans when turning it either way.

I applied blue locktite to a few,only to find then that the are forever stuck so changing the refill down the road is impossable.I experimented and only put just a tiny bit on there,and that fixes it,except If I sell it to a customer,I can't expect them to know how to reapply Lock-tite....

So any ideas on how to make a permanent fix? I wish they made a tranny with ribs or knurling of some sort.

It doesn't happen on all of my pens,but enough that it bugs me.

Thanks for any tips!

Take care,
Steve
I am not asking you to say where you got the kits but I know that there was/is at least one seller on eBay who was selling kits where the slimline tubes' id was not what it should have been and about 75% of kits from that source were very loose fitting. I wrapped a piece of scotch tape around the transmission. I was giving the pens away and told the folks what to do when they changed the refill. (wrap a new piece of scotch tape around the transmission)

Top Bottom